• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris783016

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    I was wondering what the rules of open carry are while fishing? Specifically while fishing at kingsbury or other dnr properties. I was also wondering if the same rules applied to hunting and yes I do have a ltch.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    As long as you are not fishing on Army Corp. of Engineers property, then carry however you want. The fact that you are fishing does not matter.

I'm not a hunter, so I haven't look at those regs much. I do know there are a ton of rules that apply to hunters, so you might want to check the DNR Guide:
    DNR: Hunting Guide & Regulations

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I was wondering what the rules of open carry are while fishing? Specifically while fishing at kingsbury or other dnr properties. I was also wondering if the same rules applied to hunting and yes I do have a ltch.

You can't have more than 3 lines in the water at once while open carrying.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If it is a reservoir it is likely Corp of Engineer. I have an atlas at home that lists Corp properties, but unfortunately it is not in front of me. You can also try some google searches.

Falls of the Ohio State Park also falls under COE.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Also to note is that most reservoirs that are ACOE managed are only the reservoir, so you can typically fish from the shore/bank while OC even if the reservoir is ACOE managed.

Just no carrying in a boat while on said reservoir.

There are exceptions to this so check each property individually to find out exactly what is and isn't managed by ACOE.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Also to note is that most reservoirs that are ACOE managed are only the reservoir, so you can typically fish from the shore/bank while OC even if the reservoir is ACOE managed.

Just no carrying in a boat while on said reservoir.

There are exceptions to this so check each property individually to find out exactly what is and isn't managed by ACOE.

:+1: If there's a dam or a man-made embankment, for example, that may also be ACOE property. Probably shouldn't fish from there if you're carrying.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm going to have to dig to find it, but a couple of months ago there was a discussion on here about Corp. of Engineers property. In almost all cases I could find, the ACoE owned/managed more than just the water and dam. They typically control the shoreline as well, even if a DNR property abuts the CoE property. At the very least, the ACoE controls up to the high water mark on the shore, and more typically 100+ yards farther.

Brookville reservoir, for instance: the ACoE obviously runs the dam and spillway, but also has boundary markers surrounding the entire reservoir. You cannot get near the water without walking on ACoE property.

Luckily, there are many other lakes that are DNR-only.

If you want to find all ACoE property in IN, go here:
    Corps Lakes Gateway: Indiana
    You can select a lake, and then view the Lake Map on the next screen. Their regulations include the entire PROJECT, not just the operations area.

You can compare that with the DNR "Where to fish" site to find someplace 2A-friendly:
    DNR: Where to Fish

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    So is it ACoE managed OR owned that makes the difference? Or dosen't it make a difference?

I was at Cataract Falls last week for example, and the sign at the entrance said something like managed in "partnership" or maybe it was "cooperation" with the ACoE. So, who owns the site? Who manages the site? Does it make a difference?

The Cagles Mill Lake brochure says the, "recreational facilities at the lake are maintained and operated by the IDNR with the exception of the dam site which the Corps maintains and operates." So, presumably one could carry on the rec facilities (and lake), but not on "the dam site" then?

Certainly not potentially confusing.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    So is it ACoE managed OR owned that makes the difference? Or dosen't it make a difference?

I was at Cataract Falls last week for example, and the sign at the entrance said something like managed in "partnership" or maybe it was "cooperation" with the ACoE. So, who owns the site? Who manages the site? Does it make a difference?

The Cagles Mill Lake brochure says the, "recreational facilities at the lake are maintained and operated by the IDNR with the exception of the dam site which the Corps maintains and operates." So, presumably one could carry on the rec facilities (and lake), but not on "the dam site" then?

I have been told different things by different conservation officers. Best I can figure the IDNR manages the lake. But since the dam is ACoE, the water falls under their jurisdiction. We just had a law change which allows us to follow state law in National Parks and Wildlife Areas, but no mention of ACoE. In my opinion this stinks. My tax payer money at work and I become a criminal if I have a gun in my own boat. Some may not agree but that is how I feel.

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

As far as hunting, this is from the dnr site...I've never seen anything about open carry while hunting but my thoughts would be if you have your LTHC and your hunting license, you should be good to go. Also, how many times is the state of Indiana going to call the LTHC a permit?

No license is required to possess a rifle, shotgun or muzzleloading firearm (including muzzleloading handguns). Hunters must have a permit to carry and/or hunt with a handgun. Landowners may hunt on their own property without a handgun permit. It is legal to carry a concealed handgun while hunting, if you possess a personal protection permit.

Apply for a handgun permit at your local county sheriff or city police office, or begin the registration process online at ISP: Home. You must be at least 18 years old to obtain a handgun permit. Non-residents using a handgun must have a permit issued by their home state. If their home state does not issue handgun permits, they cannot hunt with a handgun in Indiana. For a complete listing of Indiana firearm regulations, see Indiana Code 35-47-2-1 at

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

Confusing? Our government? Really?

So, I looked up Cagles Mill and the Lieber State Rec Area. (http://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/cml/article.asp?id=192) The Lieber facilities are IDNR, but the lake project is ACoE. The ACoE project boundary extends away from the water pretty far. From my (limited) understanding of State and ACoE rules, you can carry in the Rec. Area, but not on the lake, the shore, or on the dam.

If someone can find evidence that it is not the entire PROJECT, but just the OPERATIONS AREA that falls under ACoE rules, I will GLADLY take all this back!

Sources:
    http://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/opto/article.asp?id=77
    § 327.0 Applicability.
    The regulations covered in this part 327 shall be applicable to water resources development projects, completed or under construction, administered by the Chief of Engineers, and to those portions of jointly administered water resources development projects which are under the administrative jurisdiction of the Chief of Engineers. All other Federal, state and local laws and regulations remain in full force and effect where applicable to those water resources development projects.
    [65 FR 6898, Feb. 11, 2000]
    § 327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
    (a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:
    (1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
    (2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under §327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
    (3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
    (4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.
    (b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.
    [65 FR 6901, Feb. 11, 2000]

hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    I open carry in a Blackhawk Serpa when I bank fish along the white river. You never know what or who you are going to run into in the woods.

Top Bottom