• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dtownmj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2016
    Houston
    I am going to be riding the New Mexico and Colorado Backcountry Discovery Routes this summer. Because we are going to be camping far from civilization and in areas frequented by four-legged (and maybe two-legged) predators, I have decided to carry my Glock 20 with me on the trip. Due to New Mexico laws, I will have to open carry (in Colorado I can CC). I also am not down with the idea of having the gun strapped to the bike as I will be away from the bike at times and don't want to deal with switching carry methods (off body to on body).

At first I thought I would go with a chest rig. However, I do not think riding hundreds of miles a day with a chest rig and a backpack on will be the best method. I am considering a hip rig or just a quality level 3 retention OWB holster on my belt.

Just looking for any input and experience with riding long distances while carrying.

Safe travels. NM is beautiful. Also, trying to pm you to purchase the A2 stock you have listed, but dont have that function yet. Whats the best way to get ahold of ya?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Safe travels. NM is beautiful. Also, trying to pm you to purchase the A2 stock you have listed, but dont have that function yet. Whats the best way to get ahold of ya?

The best way to get ahold of me would be to send me a private message expressing your interest in the stock once you have the requisite 50 quality posts.

dtownmj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2016
    Houston
    The best way to get ahold of me would be to send me a private message expressing your interest in the stock once you have the requisite 50 quality posts.

Thanks. I saw you responded to my friend. Given that i would be the one sending you funds first, not sure why you would be skeptical and not reach out to me? I had specific questions about the date code and price. You offered to ship and reach a wider audience, which is why i expressed interest. Anyways, i respect the forum rules and your point of view. Good luck and thanks!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

You will want to read this.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Would you consider a drop leg Level3? Should stay out of the way of backpacks, not flutter in the wind, and be positively secure.

That fully enclosed Hill People chest rig looks like a good candidate too if it werent for the OC requirement.

dtownmj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2016
    Houston
    You will want to read this.

Thanks. Wasnt trying to make a new post or replt, but rather send a pm. The seller offered to ship, which meant he was trying to reach a wider audience. Why limit yourself to shipping to indiana people? I am a member of vaguntrader, flguntrader, texasguntalk/trader. People who are willing to ship shouldnt care where that buyer is from. Its the same for forums like hkpro, akfiles, etc

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks. Wasnt trying to make a new post or replt, but rather send a pm. The seller offered to ship, which meant he was trying to reach a wider audience. Why limit yourself to shipping to indiana people? I am a member of vaguntrader, flguntrader, texasguntalk/trader. People who are willing to ship shouldnt care where that buyer is from. Its the same for forums like hkpro, akfiles, etc

"participation" in the classifieds includes buying. Either get to 50 QUALITY* posts or pay for site supporter to get the ability to PM.

*mods and seasoned users watch the board for what we call "runners", or people who post lots of one liners, and other fluff posts quickly just to run their count up so they can buy or sell. Those get deleted so the message count wont increase. But actively participating here is easy to hit 50 posts within a week.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy

The shipping is offered because I am typically too busy to meet. I am also trying to abide by the rules of INGO no matter what other gun forums you are a member of.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    When I galivanted all over out there, I kept the pistol in a tank bag and holstered it when I stopped. I didn't like the idea of landing on it if I took a spill....If on body carry is preferred, at least think about the padding.

PICT0098 - Copy.jpg

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I will second the Kenai chest rig. Well built and secure.

I also utilize a HPG chest pack that is great, but does not meet your open carry requirement.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Does IWB where part of the gun is visible above the belt count as "open carry", or does the entire holster need to be visible?

If IWB is considered open carry, a good kydex holster would offer good retention, conform to open carry requirements, and can be switched to concealed carry by adding another shirt over it.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I would also recommend a chest holster such as the one from Rob Leahy at Simply Rugged. However I’m kind of curious as to why you are worried about having the gun on you while riding. Not questioning the self defense side of things, but if I’m understanding your reasoning for carrying a 10mm, it’s for animal defense. I’ve always been a street bike guy, but I’m assuming if you see a big furry beast while on the bike, escape would be your best plan. I can see wanting to carry while on foot at a camp site or while hiking, etc, and for that any good belt holster would work fine.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I would also recommend a chest holster such as the one from Rob Leahy at Simply Rugged. However I’m kind of curious as to why you are worried about having the gun on you while riding. Not questioning the self defense side of things, but if I’m understanding your reasoning for carrying a 10mm, it’s for animal defense. I’ve always been a street bike guy, but I’m assuming if you see a big furry beast while on the bike, escape would be your best plan. I can see wanting to carry while on foot at a camp site or while hiking, etc, and for that any good belt holster would work fine.
    I am primarily worried about 4 legged predators when camping. However, being that we will be in the middle of nowhere a lot, having it available for 2 legged or 4 legged predators when on short stops is my preference. Plus I don’t want to have to deal with holstering/unholstering when I am stopping.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just ordered a Safariland 6005-6 dual strap drop leg rig for when I’m on the bike. I’m all on with the ALS system:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I got that Safariland drop leg rig a few days ago and it’s total bad assery. Paired with an ALS 7378 RDS holster, I can’t imagine a better way to carry while riding. IMHO, the thing actually has a better chance of protecting you than harming you if you fall off the bike. And the gun is ultra-accessible and secure with a 400-lb pull test rating.

Safariland: Pay good money, get exceptional gear.

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Older thread but I’ll chime in that I also have been having trouble figuring out “on-body” carry while riding. My normal AIWB isn’t great, even with a pretty upright riding position on a dual sport/ADV bike. I’ve ruled out SOB carry because of the potential for spine injury. I don’t particularly like the idea of OWB hip carry - but it’s the most comfortable of what I’ve tried so far.

US1882

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2020
    Noblesville
    I ride thousands of miles a year with the Raven Vanguard 2 on my Glock 19. Very Secure with a good belt. Doesn't do you much good though when you have to open carry.

Top Bottom