• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I am going to be riding the New Mexico and Colorado Backcountry Discovery Routes this summer. Because we are going to be camping far from civilization and in areas frequented by four-legged (and maybe two-legged) predators, I have decided to carry my Glock 20 with me on the trip. Due to New Mexico laws, I will have to open carry (in Colorado I can CC). I also am not down with the idea of having the gun strapped to the bike as I will be away from the bike at times and don't want to deal with switching carry methods (off body to on body).

At first I thought I would go with a chest rig. However, I do not think riding hundreds of miles a day with a chest rig and a backpack on will be the best method. I am considering a hip rig or just a quality level 3 retention OWB holster on my belt.

Just looking for any input and experience with riding long distances while carrying.

Last edited:

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    We are moving to New Mexico mid June of this year. Their CC Laws are pretty brutal compared to Wisconsin. While I open carry most of the time, you can’t open carry anywhere in NM that sells alcohol, so WM, gas stations and many restaurants are a no joy. But I’m thinking strongly about just going open carry. You can carry in your vehicle without a license in NM. In Wisconsin it has to be “visible” or they consider it concealed. So that means on the dash or hanging from the rear view mirror......

We will be in Sandia Park, about 25 miles east of ABQ in the mountains. I don’t do bicycles but I’m planning to hike to the top of the Sandia mtn and ride the Tram back down. Our daughter did that several times training for Kilimanjaro, and she thinks I could do it.

Have fun!! We have five acres if you need a place to camp one night. Or a bed.

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    I typically strong side carry with an OWB holster. Given the area you intend to camp and the type of critters you are likely to encounter, IMHO, you should consider a large caliber revolver instead of an auto.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I typically strong side carry with an OWB holster. Given the area you intend to camp and the type of critters you are likely to encounter, IMHO, you should consider a large caliber revolver instead of an auto.
    10mm or .357... Potato / Potahto. Capacity over a little higher horsepower in certain loads. In average factory loadings, the 10mm bests the .357 Mag most of the time.

I have a buddy who used to be stationed on Kodiak Island, AK. You know those famous brown bears they have there?

My buddy bought a S&W 686 for his hiking gun. I questioned his choice of .357 vs a larger caliber - like .44 Mag. He told me that most folks up there utilize .357 as their hiking guns.

So, with that anecdote of the folks on Kodiak Island using the .357 more often than a larger caliber... And the facts that many 10mm loads have more muzzle energy than .357 loads - having a G20 stuffed with 16 rounds of a good bullet = right decent back country defensive choice.

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    10mm or .357... Potato / Potahto. Capacity over a little higher horsepower in certain loads. In average factory loadings, the 10mm bests the .357 Mag most of the time.

I have a buddy who used to be stationed on Kodiak Island, AK. You know those famous brown bears they have there?

My buddy bought a S&W 686 for his hiking gun. I questioned his choice of .357 vs a larger caliber - like .44 Mag. He told me that most folks up there utilize .357 as their hiking guns.

So, with that anecdote of the folks on Kodiak Island using the .357 more often than a larger caliber... And the facts that many 10mm loads have more muzzle energy than .357 loads - having a G20 stuffed with 16 rounds of a good bullet = right decent back country defensive choice.
    Here is a good article on the subject.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Ive never actually used a chest rig so this is all speculation, but i would probably go with that over a belt holster. Ive lost all sorts of stuff riding and didnt notice. Most notably, My leatherman wave in a sheath on my belt flew out somewhere and i didnt notice. Those things aren’t light and i had no clue. Stuff happens and i feel like with a chest rig you will know right away if somethings wrong. Plus itd probably be easier to draw from while riding.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I never ride without carrying. For that matter, never do any other thing without carrying.

I carry IWB kydex at 3:00, mags OWB at 9:00. If it were me, I might switch to OWB or just tuck my jacket between my side and the pistol grip as needed.

I really want a G20, for just this reason! I'm hoping they make them in a Gen 5, by the time I get around to it.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    My brother has been riding for over 50 years and said if you go down the chest/shoulder holster is the easiest on your body. A lot of the time a CCW gun around the waist is open carry do to wind. He has went to a Colt Officer's 1911 under his jacket in a shoulder holster after having two different guns go off down the road on their own. Both times the hammer strap snap let go. A chest/shoulder holster can be used over a jacket that has cavalier plates.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    BTW, since it's an "adventure bike" trip, you gotta be ready for a spill or 2 or at least a couple of quick "hop offs". Carry some way that will protect the pistol...no fun with a busted gun day 2 on a 7 day run.

Top Bottom