• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I've seen it a lot more recently especially in gas city and if its the 4th of July or ducktail you'll see a ton of people OCing in crappy holsters or in their pocket with the grip sticking out. I've educated the guys that will listen at the factory about good holsters and converted a few from uncle Mike's and bulldogs to safarilands or higher end leather holsters.

I personally don't care if I'm concealed or open sometimes I wear aiwb sometimes i owb at 3 o'clock. Usually I have a my 43 in an Als holster because I don't like a lot of weight on my waist or tension on my belt from iwb since I took a nasty tumble down the steep *** stairs at my old house. If folks see it I don't really care. JFC
    For me just say no to AIWB nope nope nope..

Last edited:

RSindy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2021
    Carmel
    I don't open carry because IMO, I'd be an easy target. I still cannot grasp the idea that it is a deterrent; but that's just me.

I do enjoy seeing others OC, makes me feel somewhat proud to be an American.
    I agree, but I also fall into the gray man theory.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Carry for me is situational. I carry OWB, but normally conceal. From time to time, I'll OC, but it's usually to the range and at the range, at an event with people I know, places I'm comfortable with, etc. When I'm going somewhere new, any city, or places I'm just not sure of, I conceal.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Haven't seen any more OC then the occasional here and there. Depends on where you go I suppose, but around my area it would freak out the soccer Moms.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    I open carry all summer on our farm. Just this summer thought about it, threw a short sleeved shirt in the truck so I can put it on unbuttoned and conceal. Leather holsters, I prefer the DeSantis leather. Don't go to the big city much, but when I do, it is concealed and so is the backup and the backup to the backup.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I've seen it a lot more recently especially in gas city and if its the 4th of July or ducktail you'll see a ton of people OCing in crappy holsters or in their pocket with the grip sticking out. I've educated the guys that will listen at the factory about good holsters and converted a few from uncle Mike's and bulldogs to safarilands or higher end leather holsters.

I personally don't care if I'm concealed or open sometimes I wear aiwb sometimes i owb at 3 o'clock. Usually I have a my 43 in an Als holster because I don't like a lot of weight on my waist or tension on my belt from iwb since I took a nasty tumble down the steep *** stairs at my old house. If folks see it I don't really care. JFC
    When I decided to start Open Carrying, I wanted to do it right. I got a buddy that always open carries at the LGS he works at, so I asked him what kind of holster he uses. It was some kind of Safariland OTB type, so I picked up the same type for myself. It works well, keeps the firearm out of the hands of the two-legged varmints and still is easy to draw from in a fast, safe manner. I love it.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    When I decided to start Open Carrying, I wanted to do it right. I got a buddy that always open carries at the LGS he works at, so I asked him what kind of holster he uses. It was some kind of Safariland OTB type, so I picked up the same type for myself. It works well, keeps the firearm out of the hands of the two-legged varmints and still is easy to draw from in a fast, safe manner. I love it.
    But has it passed the trial of the 5 year old girl? Appears they have a storied history of defeating open carriers.

Colts Ironman

Sua Sponte, Rangers Lead the Way
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 22, 2021
    NW Indianapolis
    It might have been said already but for the love of God, if you're going to open carry or conceal. Get a quality holster. Wear a belt. Anything with no retention even those uncle Mike nylons should be trashed. I see a lot of people with the saggy pants, nylon holster or even worse, gun inside the waist of a pair of sweat pants.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Correct or not? This is how I was OC'ing in my local bar that suddenly decided to ban guns.

Beretta holster with snap retention strap:
    OC.JPG

Since I received my Milt Sparks for the 1911 I've been IWB CC'ing there and most other places now.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Correct or not? This is how I was OC'ing in my local bar that suddenly decided to ban guns.

Beretta holster with snap retention strap:
    View attachment 239569

Since I received my Milt Sparks for the 1911 I've been IWB CC'ing there and most other places now.
    Milt Sparks versa carry my all time favorite! Well worth the wait time.

Just curious not dogging your holster bias but do you have to adjust your grip a lot on the draw?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Milt Sparks versa carry my all time favorite! Well worth the wait time.

Just curious not dogging your holster bias but do you have to adjust your grip a lot on the draw?
    No not really I just lean forward a bit and grab while my thumb pops the snap. I practice drawing getting my pinky finger on the grip first.

It was slightly unnatural at first but now I don’t even think about it. If I use the other belt slot so that the pistol is more upright it prints a lot more if I try to conceal it.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    No not really I just lean forward a bit and grab while my thumb pops the snap. I practice drawing getting my pinky finger on the grip first.

It was slightly unnatural at first but now I don’t even think about it. If I use the other belt slot so that the pistol is more upright it prints a lot more if I try to conceal it.
    Good deal, practice is the key.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    It's probably location-specific, but I have seen open carry (outside of a gun range or hunting area) only very rarely. Most of my experience is in Bloomington, but some in the greater Indianapolis area as well. I frequently see pro-gun shirts, so assume most are just conceal-carrying instead.

My wife was recently surprised to see a man open-carrying a holstered handgun at a grade-school basketball game, due to the prohibition in IC 35-47-9-2(a)(1). She wasn't concerned about his presence, but kept on wondering if he was about to get arrested for carrying. She ended up striking up a conversation and learned he was an off-duty LEO (and therefore exempted under 35-47-9-2-1(C).)

WillH

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2022
    Fort Wayne
    Around here there seems to be a lot more open carry among young people. Wondering if this is just a Tennessee thing or if other states are seeing it as well? Funny thing we were writing back and forth with our son, about making sure he gets his enhanced hand gun carry Permit. And taking him shopping for a Holster and a edc size side arm. And he let us know he plans on open carrying for now, which would be legal in Tennessee and the other states he would be in.

Interesting.
    Working in a firearms store, the vast majority of open carriers I notice are around 60 or so, and usually carrying a 1911 in a leather hip holster. That being said, the age demographic that I see open carrying the most after that are in their early to mid 20s. Not a lot of 30s or 40s. I don't know why

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Working in a firearms store, the vast majority of open carriers I notice are around 60 or so, and usually carrying a 1911 in a leather hip holster. That being said, the age demographic that I see open carrying the most after that are in their early to mid 20s. Not a lot of 30s or 40s. I don't know why
    Yeah I never got the oh I am going into a lgs better make sure my edc is exposed.

Top Bottom