8620 E. 21st Street
    Indianapolis, IN 46219
    www.in.gov/isp
    FOR RELEASE: Upon Receipt​

Sgt. John Perrine
    Public Information Officer
    317-899-8287
    DATE: March 25, 2023​

Indianapolis, IN - One man was killed an another injured after being shot while inside a car near I-70 and Emerson Avenue. This morning around 3:30 a.m. officers from the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department responded to a crash near East 21st Street and Emerson Avenue. Upon arrival, and after further investigation it was determined the male driver and male passenger had injuries consistent with gunshot wounds. Officers were able to ascertain information that the shooting possibly occurred on I-70 near Emerson Avenue, the Indiana State Police was contacted to handle the investigation based upon where it was believed to have occurred.
    The driver of the car was transported to a local hospital and pronounced deceased a short time later, he was identified as 30 year old Anthony Shelman of Indianapolis. The 35 year old male passenger was transported to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
    Indiana State Police Detectives are still working to develop a motive for the shooting, however it is believed that occupants of another vehicle fired multiple shots at the victims while they were traveling in the area of I-70 and Emerson Avenue. The victims were in a black 2014 Nissan Altima and crashed near 21st and Emerson shortly after the shooting.
    This incident marks the 11th shooting on Indianapolis area interstates so far this year, additionally the Indiana State Police Indianapolis District has investigated 53 incidents of road rage where a gun was displayed or pointed but no shots fired since January 1st, 2023. At this point, detectives have not determined if this shooting was road rage related or targeted.
    Anyone with information about this incident, or who may have obtained dash camera footage in the area around 3:30 a.m. March 25, 2023 is asked to contact Crime Stoppers of Central Indiana at 317.262.8477 or (TIPS). Citizens can also download the mobile P3tips app for Apple or Android phones to submit a mobile tip, or go to www.CrimeTips.org to submit a web tip. You will remain anonymous and may be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1000 if the information leads to a felony arrest. Only tips submitted directly and anonymously to Crime Stoppers are eligible for these cash rewards. This release may be updated as more information becomes available. Information given via Crime Stoppers should be considered anonymous.
    All crimes mentioned in this release are alleged and all suspects are considered innocent until and unless proven guilty in court.
    *Note - the exact location of the shooting has not been determined. Also, a single vehicle crash on I-70 in that area around the same time was originally believed to be involved in the shooting, however detectives were able to determine neither the crash nor the occupants of that vehicle were involved in the shooting.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Refresh my memory as I am west central Indiana. Are these shootings all at zero something in the AM or spread out at different times.

I drive to Dayton frequently as the Daughter lives there. so curious

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Chicago needs to pick up the pace as Indy is ahead on shootings per capita. So glad that the morality taught by parents and teachers is working so well.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Chicago needs to pick up the pace as Indy is ahead on shootings per capita. So glad that the morality taught by parents and teachers is working so well.
    If we are talking per capita Memphis makes Chicago look like Mayberry.

When I was in the Military I was a Reserve LEO in Blytheville Arkansas outside Memphis. We had spill over with drugs and thugs (we went to shootings not shots fired calls) from Memphis and it was bad in 1991. From Friends still in the area it’s went down hill even more.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    If we are talking per capita Memphis makes Chicago look like Mayberry.

When I was in the Military I was a Reserve LEO in Blytheville Arkansas outside Memphis. We had spill over with drugs and thugs (we went to shootings not shots fired calls) from Memphis and it was bad in 1991. From Friends still in the area it’s went down hill even more.
    Not to mention the trafficking there.

Top Bottom