• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    My issue is when my eyes were good and I worked under microscopes, I had a very light touch. Which was a plus for my shooting. Could shoot good without much effort. Aim small miss small. Well that and having shot for decades.

Now w bifocals, arthritis just losing focus in brain.....i have to pay attention and concentrate more just to be close to what I was.

Definitely more effort to fight the decline, that's going to win soon enough.

Saw my dad go through it. Buy better stuff and still not shoot as well as used to.

I aint gonna drop the coin or hours to win Z class. Great if folks want to do that.

Me....no prob accepting what is going on. Dont like it one damn bit. But fighting it would just be futile and im not gonna spend a fortune making myself more upset .

I gave up 3d and indoor archery due to injury. And wont take it up again because i simply dont have what it takes visually or mentally.

The only good thing about getting older is not caring too much.

Now is that by design?
    Nowadays it's competition against yourself and being upset by not winning is just silly. The mere fact that you/I can still compete is a win, Hook.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I think I'm just gonna be better off with one "main" platform for rifles, AR variants, that's what I've always gravitated towards. Most of my rifles are AR's anyways (308, 5.56, 22LR) and only 2 other 22LR rifles that aren't (CZ 457, T/CR22).

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I'm still pretty new to shooting and am in the stage where I buy and try things, then move on if I don't like it or find something I like better. Shooting a rental gun is not the same as putting a thousand rounds down range with a gun you own. The rentals can eliminate the really bad fits quickly though.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I struggle with the 1 man, 1 rifle concept. I want to embrace it but which rifle? I am a big fan of a Sig 516 as well as the DD M4V1. But neither can hold a candle to a Tikka T3X when reaching out to some distance. Then there’s the Sig 716i which is a good .308 AR10 and could be that one rifle to be good at everything, but not great at anything.

At the moment, I’m trying to put my effort into the Tikka while remaining competent with others like the AR platform. The Tikka seems to have the chops to run out to 800+ yards if I do my part.

I’d love to focus on just becoming as skilled as I can with just one rifle but I have no idea what rifle. That Sig AR10 would do everything I’d most likely ever ask it to do other than be reasonably light.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I struggle with the 1 man, 1 rifle concept. I want to embrace it but which rifle? I am a big fan of a Sig 516 as well as the DD M4V1. But neither can hold a candle to a Tikka T3X when reaching out to some distance. Then there’s the Sig 716i which is a good .308 AR10 and could be that one rifle to be good at everything, but not great at anything.

At the moment, I’m trying to put my effort into the Tikka while remaining competent with others like the AR platform. The Tikka seems to have the chops to run out to 800+ yards if I do my part.

I’d love to focus on just becoming as skilled as I can with just one rifle but I have no idea what rifle. That Sig AR10 would do everything I’d most likely ever ask it to do other than be reasonably light.
    I think if one were to expect one rifle to do everything then there obviously has to be trade offs. Can't be too heavy, can't be too much scope, would have to be a jack of all trades.

Basically in most every endeavor it would be middle of the road when competing with specialized shooters with specialized gear, but the payoff is that " one man with that one rifle" can take that rifle and do pretty well in any situation, whether it be precision distance, run and gun shooting steel, or SHTF. There is something to be said for being able to adapt what you have and I know how it will perform under all those different situations.

Of course with my OCD it would at least be one man with 2 identical rifles so I had a backup.

I don't shoot rifle much (and all except for a recent rimfire bolt gun, all are AR style controls, etc) but my philosophy on handguns has been to have them all at least be the same standard operating procedure (striker fired, no manual safety, carried in same position with same kind of holster). Not that I am an expert with it, but it's about muscle memory, etc and less variables.

Can I pick up and operate a 1911, revolver, DA/SA, etc... Yes. But I don't want to have to think about what I'm running when under pressure.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think if one were to expect one rifle to do everything then there obviously has to be trade offs. Can't be too heavy, can't be too much scope, would have to be a jack of all trades.

Basically in most every endeavor it would be middle of the road when competing with specialized shooters with specialized gear, but the payoff is that " one man with that one rifle" can take that rifle and do pretty well in any situation, whether it be precision distance, run and gun shooting steel, or SHTF. There is something to be said for being able to adapt what you have and I know how it will perform under all those different situations.

Of course with my OCD it would at least be one man with 2 identical rifles so I had a backup.

I don't shoot rifle much (and all except for a recent rimfire bolt gun, all are AR style controls, etc) but my philosophy on handguns has been to have them all at least be the same standard operating procedure (striker fired, no manual safety, carried in same position with same kind of holster). Not that I am an expert with it, but it's about muscle memory, etc and less variables.

Can I pick up and operate a 1911, revolver, DA/AA, etc... Yes. But I don't want to have to think about what I'm running when under pressure.

The rifles
    By this definition, my Sig 716i would be the rifle to embrace. It really has the potential to be good at anything but maybe not stellar at anything.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    And I think we've discovered why most of us aren't one man with one rifle, too many different tasks at hand that require a more specialized approach to each of them. My 308AR is setup big and heavy for long range stuff, so it's not going to do well in a 25 yard CQB environment. And my MK18 with an Aimpoint isn't going to do well at long range shooting. Could they both do those roles if needed, sure they could, but they won't be optimal at them.

Agree with what has already been said too, I have experience with a multitude of guns, but my bread and butter is the AR platform and striker fired handguns, specifically Glock and Sig. However, there is something really nice about a simple bolt gun....

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    And I think we've discovered why most of us aren't one man with one rifle, too many different tasks at hand that require a more specialized approach to each of them. My 308AR is setup big and heavy for long range stuff, so it's not going to do well in a 25 yard CQB environment. And my MK18 with an Aimpoint isn't going to do well at long range shooting. Could they both do those roles if needed, sure they could, but they won't be optimal at them.

Agree with what has already been said too, I have experience with a multitude of guns, but my bread and butter is the AR platform and striker fired handguns, specifically Glock and Sig. However, there is something really nice about a simple bolt gun....

I can’t even get the one man, one car thing right. There are 5 cars in the driveway right now despite my having the desire to get down to maybe 3. Settling on a single rifle would be tough.

Seriously though, firearms are tools. Sure, we need to be as good as we can be with a rifle, but that should not mean that we should press the wrong gun into a specific use. As much as I like my Sig 716, an AR15 pistol is probably a better PDW.

A rifle that is optimized for a specific role can make up for the OMOR mindset if compared to pressing the wrong rifle into that role. There is value to be gained by optimization. Do we optimize the shooter by focusing on one rifle or do we optimize the rifle for each category of use?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere

Defend near, defend there, defend far. Why are we choosing one tool?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I can’t even get the one man, one car thing right. There are 5 cars in the driveway right now despite my having the desire to get down to maybe 3. Settling on a single rifle would be tough.

Seriously though, firearms are tools. Sure, we need to be as good as we can be with a rifle, but that should not mean that we should press the wrong gun into a specific use. As much as I like my Sig 716, an AR15 pistol is probably a better PDW.

A rifle that is optimized for a specific role can make up for the OMOR mindset if compared to pressing the wrong rifle into that role. There is value to be gained by optimization. Do we optimize the shooter by focusing on one rifle or do we optimize the rifle for each category of use?
    yeah...6 cars/trucks/suvs and an RV...different tools for different jobs. Not even talking about the bikes.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Let's face it, the only reason we don't see more of the "one man - one rifle" concept these days, is because of... well... "these days".

America, indeed the world, (largely because of America) has changed. The average man "these days" has more disposable income.
    No matter how much we complain about being "poor" or "broke", (and I do it ALL THE TIME feeling sorry for myself because I live on VA disability) the simple fact is that we have enough money now... for more than one rifle. I'm poor (or so I keep thinking) and I got 6.

In the days of "one man- one rifle" it was so because that rifle was a substantial cash outlay that would eat into a man's pay way too much to simply be augmented by an additional one, when the one he had could be made to do the job.

A man had only one rifle, because that's all he could afford... So he got good with it.

you guys should check out the classifieds....some great deals ;)

He's right, and for those of you with disposable income, somebody hop on over, and buy my Larue Tactical lower, because this poor guy spent too much on guns, and now he needs money for his Jeep build... because that's what us poor guys do, build Jeeps from the frame up.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Let's face it, the only reason we don't see more of the "one man - one rifle" concept these days, is because of... well... "these days".

America, indeed the world, (largely because of America) has changed. The average man "these days" has more disposable income.
    No matter how much we complain about being "poor" or "broke", (and I do it ALL THE TIME feeling sorry for myself because I live on VA disability) the simple fact is that we have enough money now... for more than one rifle. I'm poor (or so I keep thinking) and I got 6.

In the days of "one man- one rifle" it was so because that rifle was a substantial cash outlay that would eat into a man's pay way too much to simply be augmented by an additional one, when the one he had could be made to do the job.

A man had only one rifle, because that's all he could afford... So he got good with it.

He's right, and for those of you with disposable income, somebody hop on over, and buy my Larue Tactical lower, because this poor guy spent too much on guns, and now he needs money for his Jeep build... because that's what us poor guys do, build Jeeps from the frame up.
    Hey, I looked at your Vanguard multiple times, that counts for something, right? :dunno:

Nightboard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2021
    New Castle
    I fell for it all when I was younger. Started my gun career inheriting my grandad's SKS. First thing I did, yanked that wood stock off, put on a druganov stock... lost the bayonet hardware, and the cleaning rod, and everything. First pistol was a Taurus 92, then later a 99. Good pistols. Then I swapped for some kind of 40 caliber beretta... which i liked, but then was convinced to swap it out for a Glock 19. While all that was going on, I was also tinkering around with the milspec rifles. Garand, awsome rifle. Mini-14 was trash. I wanted the Mini-14 to be good. I've heard they're improved nowadays, but I settled down. Eventually I ended up getting a DPMS AR-15, and I liked it. A lot. Then I traded it for a Colt Sporter, which at the time I did it for just the name, but the sporter ended up being a better rifle in the end.

I've played with all different kinds of pistols, S&W, XD's. I just got a Tokarev, and I've yet to field test it.

The mostbest reliable pistol I have is a Ruger security-six, i also inherited from my grandad. 6 shots, but I've shot it enough that i have to be trying to miss.

My current project, making my SKS Russian again. I have to buy all those parts I threw away in my teens, and they aint cheap, or easy to find, but i'm about 90% complete. Waiting on the correct bayonet part. The AR I've zeroed, cleans, super-oiled and packed away.

I'm back to using my first-love again. There's just something satisfying about shooting soviet bloc commie weapons. Except the AK's. I hate AK's.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have always wanted a play around jeep, but I spend all my disposable income on guns and ammo.

Top Bottom