• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    ....have this old Western Auto Revelation 12 GA that I traded for in the early 80's. It's sole use had been as a turkey shoot gun. A few of my old work buddies and I went around to some of the shoots back then before turkey shooting got out of hand. Fast forward today, A local club holds a shoot where the guns must have open iron sights and be shot offhand. The current choke on this gun restricts to .698 by my caliper. This tube restricts to about .660. Just curious if a competent gunsmith could make a screw on collar that would allow me to adapt one of these tubes? In realising it might not make sense and could be both impractical, expensive and perhaps unsafe.

Attachments

• IMG_20230520_101749.jpg
      IMG_20230520_101749.jpg
      259.3 KB · Views: 15
    • 133723.jpg
      133723.jpg
      16.6 KB · Views: 15

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    First question is what bore are you working with? An old western was .729? So you want a .059 restriction? Briley charges $175 to tap your barrel for internal threaded choke tubes. Your Poly is External threads? If it is it would probably cost you more for an adapter than have your barrel taped, I like my True lock .640 tube punches a nice hole every time.

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    First question is what bore are you working with? An old western was .729? So you want a .059 restriction? Briley charges $175 to tap your barrel for internal threaded choke tubes. Your Poly is External threads? If it is it would probably cost you more for an adapter than have your barrel taped, I like my True lock .640 tube punches a nice hole every time.
    ....thanks for the reply....yes, I'm quite aware that the cost of an adapter would be expensive, likely twice - three times or more than the gun is worth but just would prefer to not butcher the gun....the jellyhead I have is an Invector choke, more curious than anything else if it could be made to work or is it just a stupid idea.....buddy of mine joked and he's probably right, I'd be dollars ahead if I just bought a shotgun that the choke would fit, lol....

Titanium700

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2022
    Otisco
    I remember as a kid sending off my 870 shotgun barrel to Marbles to get a polychoke installed.
    My first intro into altering factory weapons.
    You should see me now.
    Lol

Reactions: Leo

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    Yor adapter idea with a invector choke is not a bad idea, What you would be doing is creation a jug choke ahead of your Jellyhead choke .Jug choking was the first chokes used on shotguns. Have done it before. Along with extending the forcing cone. But your buddy is right buying a good browning for the choke you have is the cheapest way.

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    Yor adapter idea with a invector choke is not a bad idea, What you would be doing is creation a jug choke ahead of your Jellyhead choke .Jug choking was the first chokes used on shotguns. Have done it before. Along with extending the forcing cone. But your buddy is right buying a good browning for the choke you have is the cheapest way.
    .....thank you, food for thought....now just need to find someone to show the idea to with competent machining ability around here....been messing with muzzleloaders since the mid 90's, first time I've heard of a jug choke? Never dabbled with ml shotguns.

Attachments

• 20230601_180115.jpg
      20230601_180115.jpg
      729.1 KB · Views: 4
    Last edited:

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    Shot in a muzzle loader trap league -So jug joking was the only way to choke since you have to push everything down from the top -Jug choking does the opposite of your choked barrel with the same results.l You expand the barrel 4to6 inches so many thousands for the shot expands and the has to retract at the last two inches causing a titer pattern.

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    ....well an update of sorts, one of my buddies in our NCOWS group that dabbles in repairing some of our vintage firearms.....was intrigued with this idea and took the gun and choke to a fellow gunsmith he consults with and is looking at tackling this....may have have something to try at the local turkey shoot this fall?

Top Bottom