• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Hey all I acquired an old model 98 that doesn’t fire. It goes click but no result in firing. I took it apart and looking for any advice on soaking and cleaning techniques. I have clp and other gun solvents to use. The mechanism is really filthy and gunked up bad. I’m hoping that a good soaking fixes this. The gun in In pretty good condition appearance wise and the bore looks great.. so I want to bring this old .22 back to life the right way. Thought about putting it in an old jug or plastic bag to immerse the entire firing mechanism to marinate for a bit then blow it out with compressed air..? Thanks for any help.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    You should likely disassemble the bolt and clean it. Just a guess but you have build up around the firing pin.

ooops. Wrong 98. Sigh. 22Lr.....
    same wisdom applies though.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If I remember my marlins that is the one that it tube fed thru the but-stock. Drop bolt assembly into k1 kerosene for a long bit then clean.

get that one up and running i rarely see those anymore and saw just a few when young.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    If I remember my marlins that is the one that it tube fed thru the but-stock. Drop bolt assembly into k1 kerosene for a long bit then clean.

get that one up and running i rarely see those anymore and saw just a few when young.
    It’s soaking right now and getting put back together for a test run tomorrow.. hopefully! Been buying .22’s for grandkids and to pass down to them. This is one of them. Granddaughter is helping me do this. She’s my best helper!

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Not yet. Covering off shift and working today.. maybe after work or tomorrow …between cleaning stalls and cutting wood so probably not….grrr. Supposed to have some time off next week. So maybe then?? Not enough hours in the day!
    Couldn’t help myself and after a soak and quick clean/blow out with air.. I stuck it back together and chamber a .22 and it finally went pew! Still going to clean and scrub it some more and try again.. 5AEE1116-1297-4499-B3C0-FF0982787078.jpeg F2AA4CA1-5F3F-4D1C-9C4A-517A5E2458E7.jpeg 5AACD775-C5AB-4160-B14D-16806E79BA96.png

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    New Haven roll mark for those not into marlins would make it pre 1970.
    north haven roll mark for those not into marlin ps would make it 1970-2008 ish.
    the ATF let Remington use the roll marked barrels with north haven in illion New York with a laser etched MR until they closed up.

if I remember my marlins the model 98 was made for three years 1957-1959 and under 10k were made. Figure 50 percent survive maybe more.

so this is a semi rare 22 autoloader. look at the features of the stock with the cheek piece and the attenuation to detail. What I can not remember is if they were mircogroove barrels or Ballard. I think Ballard. I also think the switch to micro groove during that era marked the end of the model 98.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Really nice-looking piece of history there...and it cleaned up really nice!
    Good luck with it and hope it lasts the granddaughter a looooong time!

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Really nice-looking piece of history there...and it cleaned up really nice!
    Good luck with it and hope it lasts the granddaughter a looooong time!
    Thanks. Sorry for the pictures.. not the best quality. I’m not sure whether to just rub the stock down with oil or to try to refinish.. I don’t want to ruin an untouched finish.. the blueing is in very good condition except where the scope mounted. It’s scratched up there.. but other than that it is in great shape.
    The rifle came in an old leather gun case with sherpa lining.. bought this rifle from the original owner and he couldn’t remember how old it was.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Thanks. Sorry for the pictures.. not the best quality. I’m not sure whether to just rub the stock down with oil or to try to refinish.. I don’t want to ruin an untouched finish.. the blueing is in very good condition except where the scope mounted. It’s scratched up there.. but other than that it is in great shape.
    The rifle came in an old leather gun case with sherpa lining.. bought this rifle from the original owner and he couldn’t remember how old it was.
    I've played around with old stocks on occasion, refinished one and simply replaced one for my father, who then refinished it on his own...and found that testing refinishing 'under' the barrel, gives you a better idea of how it might look without leaving a small 'test spot' exposed for the rest of your life.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    If this were my rifle, I'd apply a nice oil finish to the stock. But if the stock has any sort of factory "varnish" or aftermarket varnish applied, you'll need to strip that off before applying an oil finish. Even if it's just an old wax finish, you need to get down to bare wood before applying an oil finish.

Please don't slap a scope on this rifle with tip-off mounts. Take the time to get it drilled and tapped for a sturdier scope mounting bracket. Better yet, get a nice peep sight (maybe even something of the same vintage as the rifle), and replace the front post with a globe sight.

This is truly a wonderful present for your granddaughter!

Top Bottom