Not open for further replies.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Old days of shooting I would include the cost of a new barrel for one gun at least. Reloading/Handloading will reduce your cost per round on the bigger stuff but even on the little .223 you can get your cost down to .40 cents per round by buying right. The 6's are a bit more in the .50 to .80 per round, not counting brass. As for dog towns we would never shoot more than one day at them and we started our shooting at 350 yards out to 800 yards to keep them unaware of us shooting at them. If you got close they would hide and few would show themselves. So the farther away they were more shooting for you, which added to more accurate rifles and ammo.
    That’s interesting.
    We would start at 25 to 50, and work our way out to 200-250 and then move on.

We might try your way next summer…

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    If you figure out the cost per round in ammo and if you go for 5 days shooting plus travel, figure now days a dollar per mile to $1.50 per mile so $3000. Figure your going to need 500 rounds of ammo per day, food, drinks, fuel and lodging. I have had a few hunt quit early as not enough ammo so a 5 day hunt should have 3000 round of ammo.
    It's hard for a Hoosier like me to even imagine that there is that many of the little varmints. Sure sounds like fun.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Other places in Northeastern Montana they have a gopher problem not really P-dogs but really damage crops that farmers need for cattle. Ever had a farm lady drive her tractor up and ask you if you could come over to her farm to shoot some critters!
    We were in wyoming just a day or two before antelope season started, for prairie dogs. Lots of scouting, setting up going on. We were looked at suspiciously until they saw us closer and saw how unserious of hunters we were.
    We did have neighbors stop us on the road (all looking out for each other for the antelope season) ask us what we were doing but when they found out they asked how long we were out for and if we could come by their place.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Before handloading I spent a few years in the Service (Army 12B4) Worked in Central America and Germany. Most of the time dealing with explosives and destruction of ammo and explosives. Note those are my young and foolish days when jumping out of perfectly good helicopters and repelling off cliffs was considered fun!
    Thank you for your service.

Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    Thank you all for the welcome home, seems like family here! Any body going to loan me a $20?

Grandpa told me not to listen to my mother, He told me violence does solve problems!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom