Okay....Deer hunting and Class III question.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Personally I'm not sure I would hunt with it on public land. Even if you are in the right a well meaning, but uninformed, game warden could ruin your season, something you can't get back.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I once asked a CO if it was legal to rabbit hunt with a full auto UZI ( heck of a lot of fun BTW - especially in snow). He said as far as he knew it was not illegal, but if he saw me doing it, he would arrest me just on “principle” - whatever that means

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The old handgun spec was .35 cal or larger. It was changed a few yrs back

Local Walmart not had any hard copy regs the last few years? LOL
    A few years back? If by years you mean decades then, yes. ;)

I hunted, briefly, with a Savage Striker in .243 back in the early 2000's and the regulations had been .243 and up for several years before that.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I once asked a CO if it was legal to rabbit hunt with a full auto UZI ( heck of a lot of fun BTW - especially in snow). He said as far as he knew it was not illegal, but if he saw me doing it, he would arrest me just on “principle” - whatever that means
    Says it all right there.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Hunting regs used to say no full auto, but that was yrs ago.
    Always thought an AM180 w a chuck way out from his den in middle of bean field woulda been fun.
    Never had an AM180 but knew a couple guys w em.
    Regs said no FA back then :(

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    You can get a new truck with arrests like that

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Well guys...sounds like an SBR is always an SBR...as for the 7.62X39 pistol...

Well the way I see it...the regulations are on my side..the ATF and the feds call it a pistol...the regulations say .243 or larger and I am .311"....I am less than the 26" OAL that gets in the fuzzy area with the feds.

I am going to email the DNR and see what they have to say but I see NO reason why I would not be 100% legal. Just because it "doesn't look right" does not mean it is illegal or a violation.

I will let you know how the season goes and what the DNR email says if they respond....have no intention in changing my current direction and or plan but will let you know if anything comes of it....LOL

Part of me thought about packing the 20 round mag full since it is a pistol and not a high power rifle "specifying 10 rounds in possession" but decided one issue discussion at a time...LOL

You know....I always hated the YouTube videos of the guys walking down the street with an AR strapped to their chest just to "educate" the police on their rights but don't feel this is the same thing.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well guys...sounds like an SBR is always an SBR...as for the 7.62X39 pistol...

Well the way I see it...the regulations are on my side..the ATF and the feds call it a pistol...the regulations say .243 or larger and I am .311"....I am less than the 26" OAL that gets in the fuzzy area with the feds.

I am going to email the DNR and see what they have to say but I see NO reason why I would not be 100% legal. Just because it "doesn't look right" does not mean it is illegal or a violation.

I will let you know how the season goes and what the DNR email says if they respond....have no intention in changing my current direction and or plan but will let you know if anything comes of it....LOL

Part of me thought about packing the 20 round mag full since it is a pistol and not a high power rifle "specifying 10 rounds in possession" but decided one issue discussion at a time...LOL

You know....I always hated the YouTube videos of the guys walking down the street with an AR strapped to their chest just to "educate" the police on their rights but don't feel this is the same thing.
    If they give you the greenlight, just keep the email printout in case a CO spots you and hassles you.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Just an update.

Today I received a confirmation email from ICO Headquarters indicating that the AR pistol in 7.62X39 IS LEGAL on public ground.

I did not however press the "number of rounds in possession" question though. According to their regulations you are only allowed 10 H.P. rounds when hunting with a "rifle". There are no regulations on number in possession when hunting a pistol though.....I only need one but stil there are 19 empty slots still left in the mag. it would get lonely......:dunno::whistle:

This email has been saved for special occasions.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hunting regs used to say no full auto, but that was yrs ago.
    Always thought an AM180 w a chuck way out from his den in middle of bean field woulda been fun.
    Never had an AM180 but knew a couple guys w em.
    Regs said no FA back then :(

You don't aim them, you just walk the bullets in by observing the impacts. Like connecting really close together dots.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Geesh, this is not hard.

Got a handgun?

Barrel over 4"?

Cartridge 1.16" or longer?

.24 cal.or bigger?

Then its deer legal.

Friggin revolver, semi, break open or bolt.....doesnt matter.

HOWEVER... some cartridges that meet the spec are explicitly called out as not legal for deer EXAMPLE : one of them being .30 carbine.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    (From CO)

If the firearm is designed to be fired from the shoulder, it is a rifle. The firearm must have a barrel longer than 16 inches or have the appropriate ATF stamp. If the firearm is a rifle but modified to have a pistol grip instead of a stock, allowing the firearm to be fired one-handed, the barrel must be longer than 18 inches to be legal to hunt with as stated in the Indiana Administrative Code.

IC 14-22-2-8 Deer hunting; permitted firearms; required report

Sec. 8. (a) This section applies to a hunting season beginning after June 30, 2016.

(b) A hunter may use a rifle to hunt deer on privately owned land subject to the following:

(1) The use of a rifle is permitted during hunting seasons established by the department.

(2) The rifle must be chambered for a cartridge that fires a bullet that is two hundred forty-three thousandths (.243) of an inch in diameter or larger.

(3) The rifle must fire a cartridge that has a minimum case length of one and sixteen-hundredths (1.16) inches, but is no longer than three (3) inches.

(4) A hunter may not possess more than ten (10) cartridges for the rifle while hunting deer under this section.

(5) The rifle must meet any other requirements established by the department.

(c) The use of a full metal jacketed bullet to hunt deer is unlawful.

(d) The department shall report on the impact of the use of rifles to hunt deer under this section to the governor and, in an electronic format under IC 5-14-6, the general assembly before February 15, 2020.

(e) The department may adopt rules under IC 4-22-2 to authorize the use of rifles on public property.

312 IAC 9-3-3

(2) A handgun must:
    (A) conform to the requirements of IC 35-47-1-6;
    (B) have a barrel at least four (4) inches long;
    (C) fire a bullet of two hundred forty-three thousandths (.243) inch diameter or larger; and
    (D) not be a rifle that has a barrel less than eighteen (18) inches.
    The handgun cartridge case, without bullet, must be at least one and sixteen-hundredths (1.16) inches long. Full metal jacketed bullets are unlawful. All 25/20, 32/20, 30 carbine, and 38 special ammunition is prohibited.
    (3) A muzzleloading long gun must be .44 caliber or larger, loaded with a bullet at least three hundred fifty-seven thousandths (.357) inch or larger. A muzzleloading handgun must be single shot, .50 caliber or larger, loaded with bullets at least .44 caliber and have a barrel at least twelve (12) inches long. The length of a muzzleloading handgun barrel is determined by measuring from the base of the breech plug, excluding tangs and other projections, to the end of the barrel, including the muzzle crown. A muzzleloading gun must be capable of being loaded only from the muzzle, including both powder and bullet.
    (4) A rifle must fire a cartridge that meets the following specifications:
    (A) Fire a bullet of three hundred fifty-seven thousandths (.357) of an inch diameter or larger.
    (B) Have a minimum case length of one and sixteen-hundredths (1.16) inches.
    (C) Have a maximum case length of one and eight-tenths (1.8) inches.
    Full metal jacketed bullets are unlawful.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Well guys...sounds like an SBR is always an SBR
    This is not true. If you have an SBR that started life as a pistol, you can remove the stock and revert back to a pistol. This can be handy for things like moving across state lines without the approved transfer forms from the ATF (you CANNOT reassemble across state lines without that approval form, though), or hunting on public property in Indiana with an AR pistol.
    I've got a couple 300blk pistols and plan on SBR'ing at least one of them. The only reason I decided to SBR instead of staying pistol is because of what I stated above.

If you look around online you'll find this to be true: an SBR can be converted into a non-SBR form and used as such. Just make sure if you're going to convert to a pistol, that the receiver started life in pistol form or was transferred to you as "other/receiver" on your 4473.

A couple links:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    This is not true. If you have an SBR that started life as a pistol, you can remove the stock and revert back to a pistol. This can be handy for things like moving across state lines without the approved transfer forms from the ATF (you CANNOT reassemble across state lines without that approval form, though), or hunting on public property in Indiana with an AR pistol.
    I've got a couple 300blk pistols and plan on SBR'ing at least one of them. The only reason I decided to SBR instead of staying pistol is because of what I stated above.

If you look around online you'll find this to be true: an SBR can be converted into a non-SBR form and used as such. Just make sure if you're going to convert to a pistol, that the receiver started life in pistol form or was transferred to you as "other/receiver" on your 4473.

A couple links:
    How can you determine if a lower started its life as a pistol or "other/receiver"?

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    How can you determine if a lower started its life as a pistol or "other/receiver"?
    If you bought the lower from a shop and it came stripped or assembled with no upper attached, then it should have been transferred to you as "other/receiver." Many shops have not been doing this because of an error in training. What I'm saying is, if the shop mis-marked your 4473, I'm not sure if that has an effect on anything or not. My knowledge is not THAT in depth, unfortunately.

If you bought it fully assembled as a rifle or pistol, then there's your answer.

And if you bought it used third party, I'm not quite sure what to tell you. Have been meaning to find the answer to that for awhile, but since all of mine came from shops, I haven't had to deal with a used third party lower.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    If you bought the lower from a shop and it came stripped or assembled with no upper attached, then it should have been transferred to you as "other/receiver." Many shops have not been doing this because of an error in training. What I'm saying is, if the shop mis-marked your 4473, I'm not sure if that has an effect on anything or not. My knowledge is not THAT in depth, unfortunately.

If you bought it fully assembled as a rifle or pistol, then there's your answer.

And if you bought it used third party, I'm not quite sure what to tell you. Have been meaning to find the answer to that for awhile, but since all of mine came from shops, I haven't had to deal with a used third party lower.
    I bought mine...second..third hand...who knows....It was a pistol when I got it but who knows what it started life as?

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I bought mine...second..third hand...who knows....It was a pistol when I got it but who knows what it started life as?
    I have no idea if a local shop could help you find out or not. It's worth a shot to ask. Especially if it came to you as a pistol, it'd be nice to know if that was legit or not. That part is up to you.

If no one can give you a straight answer as to what that lower is, might be best to offload that lower, or make it a permanent rifle host, and build a new lower as a pistol/sbr so you know exactly what it is. I can be a little confusing with what I'm saying, so I hope that makes sense.

Top Bottom