Okay....Deer hunting and Class III question.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Sooooo reading the hunting regs today made me ponder a question.

I have a 7.62X39 AR pistol with brace that I am planning on hunting public land with this year.....which is legal.

The regs say that an SBR is not a pistol even though the barrel is less than 16"....which I understand.

So the question I have is...if you have a "registered" SBR and put a brace on it...is it a pistol or still a SBR due to how it is registered??

Mine is not a registered SBR so this does not affect me but I was just wondering.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    That doesn't sound right to me. Maybe private land but not public.
    You can use a pistol for public land as long as it meet the requirements....an AR with a brace is still a pistol....the 7.62X39 meet the requirements and are not the "prohibited" rounds due to their lack of power....I know several people that have hunted with .243, .270, and .308 Thompson's LONG before we even had the option of H.P. rifles so this is no different.

1632486578611.png

This was more of a Class III question than a DNR regulation question...as I didn't know how the SBR registration works...is it "always" a SBR..and can't be a pistol?

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Call the local DNR office and ask.
    You can do this.

You can use a pistol for public land as long as it meet the requirements....an AR with a brace is still a pistol....the 7.62X39 meet the requirements and are not the "prohibited" rounds due to their lack of power.

View attachment 160059

This was more of a Class III question than a DNR regulation question...as I didn't know how the SBR registration works...is it "always" a SBR..and can't be a pistol?
    Federally, once a rifle always a rifle (few exceptions such as T/C contenders can switch back and forth). No idea on IN.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    You can use a pistol for public land as long as it meet the requirements....an AR with a brace is still a pistol....the 7.62X39 meet the requirements and are not the "prohibited" rounds due to their lack of power.

View attachment 160059

Once an SBR , always an SBR. Is my understanding.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    As I understand it, SBR / pistol is more complicated than just ATF ruling and that IN has different classifications. It would be worthwhile to read the comments by people more knowledgeable than I in this thread on SBR concealed carry (be sure to read on as a couple of folks made addendums to statements) on how the state differs from the feds on classification.

This thread is somewhat confusing to me and is kinda ping-ponging between two different questions: hunting with an AR pistol as a pistol on IN public land and doing the same but with an SBR. You don't have an SBR as you've stated. If we're talking about hunting this fall with your AR pistol, we should probably skip the SBR/ATF stuff and ask one thing at a time.

If the question is "does slapping a pistol brace on a registered SBR making it a pistol federally" this is a good class III question and I'm not sure what is the point of putting it in the outdoors section. Going from the link above, if IN calls SBRs as pistols, then I would guess that it follows the rules of the pistol, but calling DNR like BT suggested is probably a good idea. Since you don't have an SBR, then asking DNR/ a lawyer if AR pistols just follow the normal pistol rules for hunting is probably also worth asking just to make sure you don't have issues.

This was more of a Class III question than a DNR regulation question...as I didn't know how the SBR registration works...is it "always" a SBR..and can't be a pistol [for the purpose of carrying & hunting]?
    The FAQ has a little bit on this for the registering an SBR: https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/ingunowners-faqs-sticky.16185/#post-1761124
    But if the part in brackets was implied... again, in my limited understanding of this, Indiana has different classification than the BATFE so there's an interplay of federal & state law that I'm not qualified to comment on.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    [QUOTE="Timjoebillybob”]
    Federally, once a rifle always a rifle (few exceptions such as T/C contenders can switch back and forth). No idea on IN.[/QUOTE]

If built as a pistol first, I believe one can legally convert to a rifle and back to a pistol…just like a Contender.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    [QUOTE="Timjoebillybob”]
    Federally, once a rifle always a rifle (few exceptions such as T/C contenders can switch back and forth). No idea on IN.

If built as a pistol first, I believe one can legally convert to a rifle and back to a pistol…just like a Contender.
    [/QUOTE]
    Based on my research, you are correct for ARs. The regs say if they are readily convertible, you can do it. I'd say pulling two pins and unscrewing/rescrewing a buffer tube would qualify as "readily convertible". (IANAL)

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Based on my research, you are correct for ARs. The regs say if they are readily convertible, you can do it. I'd say pulling two pins and unscrewing/rescrewing a buffer tube would qualify as "readily convertible". (IANAL)

Thanks much for the correction.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks much for the correction.
    But I'm not sure that info answers your question. Your best bet is to call DNR.

I suspect that if its registered as a SBR, and that its ALWAYS a SBR, it would be considered a rifle and not allowed. Even though an identical AR pistol with the exact same config (caliber, barrel, etc) would be considered a pistol and OK to use. .gov is good at being "petty" and making stupid decisions.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    But I'm not sure that info answers your question. Your best bet is to call DNR.

I suspect that if its registered as a SBR, and that its ALWAYS a SBR, it would be considered a rifle and not allowed. Even though an identical AR pistol with the exact same config (caliber, barrel, etc) would be considered a pistol and OK to use. .gov is good at being "petty" and making stupid decisions.
    Wasn't my question. But again thanks much for the correct info. And I agree with the second part.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Show me in the regs where 7.62 is legal in a pistol. All I can find says the bullet must be .357 or larger. I know people do it, but I can’t find it. A buddy asked an ICO and was told it was a no go.
    I have a 6.8 SPC pistol I wouldn’t mind taking out. But until I find it in writing I am leery of doing so.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I contacted the DNR about this and an NFA loop hole in our hunting regs supposedly existed. Way back.

Yes, an SBR can exist in handgun form, but its still a rifle and must go by the rifle spec cartridge wise.

Later, the state just flat out said no SBR.

So ......no loophole, whatever it really was, has been closed.

A rifle is a rifle, form does not change what it is.

Now, you can mod a handgun to a rifle.....and with the SCOTUS deal years ago, it can be put back to handgun legally. The " once a rifle always a rifle " saying isnt true.

Guns can go from initial handgun, to rifle, and back to handgun....as long as no NFA rules broken in the process.

I wanted to do a 7600 into a pistol. Was willing to go SBR. Wrong cal initially.
    Then the state said no SBR so the project was not going to be deer legal no matter what

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I asked Tanks due to their Remington connection about building it. Said hard enough to get SG receivers to finish out, and plate was full w SG work.

Tried to get Remington to sell my FFL gunsmith dude an 80% 7600 receiver.
    No go.

Only way was to buy a rifle receiver and go SBR.

And IDNR says no SBR.

Bummer

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Show me in the regs where 7.62 is legal in a pistol. All I can find says the bullet must be .357 or larger. I know people do it, but I can’t find it. A buddy asked an ICO and was told it was a no go.
    I have a 6.8 SPC pistol I wouldn’t mind taking out. But until I find it in writing I am leery of doing so.

298a94f985feacb55ecdc2445fc199f8.png

Top Bottom