• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Yeah. My grandpa's was a former state truck, yellow of course, and had a hydraulic winch on the front. He worked for DNR as an equipment operator after the farm went bankrupt. Besides running bulldozers and the like, part of his job was to drive the fire break roads clearing out brush and removing downed trees, and he used that truck. He never off roaded for fun that I know of but did it for work fairly often.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I drove down to Mt. Carmel, Illinois. It was at a very small dealership, Faulkner Automotive. I exchanged emails, one phone call, and said I would pay -$2950 off the price they had e-mailed me. They didn't agree to a price but said we could work something out. Note the truck was listed on their website but no pictures yet and no price yet, they had just taken it in. I had gotten a truck bought out from under me in Ohio while it was still in detailing, so I moved quicker on this one. :D Today was the first day I had sufficient sleep and time off in a row to make the trip.

Drove down, test drove, negotiation was this:
    Round 1: We're at X. (I'm at X-$2950)
    Round 2: Let's meet in the middle. (No. I'm at my original price.)
    Round 3: Let's do your price. (Ok.)

F&I office:
    No financing? No.
    You don't want any of the warranties or anything do you? No.
    Is your check good? (No, I was just going to put a deposit down. I have to move money from one account to another, it'll take maybe 5 days tops)
    We can just hold it. Date it 5 days out, I'll sign this agreement to hold it, and if it takes longer just call your salesman. We won't cash it until you tell us to. You can still take the truck home today.

The truck is a 2021 75th Anniversary edition with more options than I would have ordered it with. 8107 miles. The 75th anniversary was the main reason I was interested in a used truck and was, obviously, only available for the one year. The difference is the interior is two tone with "Mountain Brown" seat faces instead of everything black like all other PWs. Also special '75th' badging and a dash plaque with your build number. I'm in the 1500s, there were roughly 2200 built. Every other option you could also get in a 2022 or 2023 if you spec'd it right, even the dash plaque but without the build number or anniversary message.

The folks at the dealership said they have an older farmer who gets bored and swaps cars to the tune of about 8 a year. He bought a Mustang in another city, drove it home and didn't care for it on the drive so he traded it to them with 250 miles on it. They said he had the Power Wagon just over a year (15 months, per Carfax) and it's one of the longest he's ever kept it. He traded in this and a Hellcat on something or other. He also has a Durango SRT, all in the same green.

The winch controller still has the zip ties on it, never touched. The truck is spec'd with the box that lets you easily wire in aftermarket electronic items, like if you want power steps tied to the door opening or whatever, and that pigtail is still in the unopened plastic. Those steps are Mopar, but not the original rock sliders. They are checking if he still has them and will give them to me if he does. Mud flaps are Mopar and dealer installed as well.

Crawiling around under it, it still has the assembly line number markings visible on many parts.

It is missing the original factory rock rails, those steps are Mopar and are good quality but they are not the correct ones. The correct ones are barely usable as steps and sit up much higher and tighter. They are seeing if he has them and will get them to me if he does. I'll probably order White Knuckle sliders eventually anyway. It also needs a bed cover. Once the OEM tires wear out I'll go to 35". Skinnier 37" will fit without modification beyond minor trimming of plastic, but fuel economy suffers quite a bit from what I read. I got 17.1 mpg average driving home, mix of 2 lane highway, interstate, and a little city driving and construction zone stuff. 31 gallon tank. I don't care too much about fuel economy since I don't drive a ton, but I do need longer range for our longer excursions. Dropping the fuel economy to 13 or so means an awful lot of stops or carrying more jerry cans for places without stops.
    That's awesome. Hard to beat a small town dealer!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Man, this truck does everything but wipe your backside. It may do that, I just haven't figured out the right button.

I've not driven it again yet, other than backing it down the driveway to put my Camaro in the "car washing spot" of the drive (the sweet spot where the hose *and* extension cord both have enough slack for the power washer to move all the way around the vehicle without unhooking anything) and then back into it's space now. It's a big o' boy. I've figured out the cameras, HVAC, heated/ventilated seats, got my phone hooked up to Android Auto, kind of figured out what voice commands work, etc.

After sitting in the truck for a few minutes, sitting in the Camaro is like sitting on the ground. Maybe in a hole.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    Great thinking on the White Knuckle sliders. If you ever get a hankering for Bumpers, look up LOD. They are made about 15 minutes from me, near Purdue. Great quality from a veteran owned company.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Great truck, BBI!

Thanks. I washed and waxed it today and treated the leather. It's got some nice upgrades over my old one, and I'm one of those guys who actually RTFM, or at least skims it. I've already found 2 features I didn't know I had.

I can't wait to get some time to get it off road and play a bit. I still haven't driven it out of the driveway since getting it home. Fuel economy doesn't matter if you never drive it... :laugh6:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Great thinking on the White Knuckle sliders. If you ever get a hankering for Bumpers, look up LOD. They are made about 15 minutes from me, near Purdue. Great quality from a veteran owned company.

I'll probably lose the factory air dam one way or the other, but have no plans to change out the factory bumpers unless I mess them up.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    *sigh* Can't be of any help here. Unfortunately, I've been priced out of the PU truck market for quite some time now. Used to exclusively drive PU's years ago. Mostly Chevy/GM though. I envy your predicament BBI. Based on everything you've presented I would probably lean towered the PW myself, but I don't think that helps much in saying so.
    My F150's fuel rail sprung an irreparable leak, so I thought I'd get some ideas here... :drama:

I refuse to go into debt for a vehicle, but I need a vehicle ASAP. I always said I'd drive it into the ground, but now it might be driving it into a fire. I got 12 years out of it without much costs, so no big loss.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    My F150's fuel rail sprung an irreparable leak, so I thought I'd get some ideas here... :drama:

I refuse to go into debt for a vehicle, but I need a vehicle ASAP. I always said I'd drive it into the ground, but now it might be driving it into a fire. I got 12 years out of it without much costs, so no big loss.
    Replace the fuel rail :dunno:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

Everything’s repairable, isn’t it?
    Not that that’s very fun, but neither is not going into debt for a new vehicle.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    JB Weld?

They discontinued the part years ago. My mechanic called every part store, dealer, junk yard... no joy.

Give me the year, make, model, engine size and I'll see what I can come up with. PM me if you want

Definitely have seen parts supplies issues, especially the last 2 years, but I've got some connections after almost 30 years in the industry.

Maybe I can help you out :dunno:

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

What year and engine?

Top Bottom