• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I know, I know, both. But really other than the cool cowboy factor of the 45 Colt, is there anything it does better than the 44 mag?

I have a Ruger Blackhawk convertible that has been NIB for several years as well as a Judge I have fired on occasion, nothing else in 45 LC. I thought I wanted a lever in 45 Colt but now I am not so sure.

I have a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag, would like to get a revolver or 3 to go along with it.

What say ye INGO?

First of all, like we tell the anti crowd, "Need" got nuthin' to do with it.

You buy what you want... what you can afford... and what your wife will let you spend own money on.

Second, to answer your own question... Nope. Nothing "it does better than the .44 mag". (between the two)
    Not comparing either to the 454, or the 500 S&W that I really want...

but can't afford, and wife wouldn't let me have money for if I could.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    You cant' really make a bad decision here. I am a big .44 Mag fan though. Extremely versatile if you hand load or a large variety of factory ammo is available. My Ruger Super Blackhawks make great companions for my .44 leverguns.

Enjoy figuring it all out!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I do my hunting with a 44 mag, but much more of my shooting with 45 colt. Historical firearms like the Colt SAA and 1878 are not found in 44 mag, also a lot more repro historical guns are offered in 45 Colt than 44 mag. Like Expat said 45 Colt is more of a reloaders cartridge, most factory ammo is loaded pretty low.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    If were looking for a lever cannon like a 454, there is always this. It's a bit pricey but would be fun.

View attachment 265600
    Boy you weren't just whistling Dixie when you said pricey.
    I wonder how much you could spend on the options? My bet is a buyer could get past $10k pretty quickly.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I own a Ruger Blackhawk and Henry Big Boy, both in .45 Colt, and shoot nothing but hand loads. I have also owned several .44 Magnums in past years. I haven't hunted in 20 years but if I still did and was limited to one cartridge, it would be the .44 Magnum because it is the more versatile of the two. Better yet, buy more guns and enjoy shooting both of them.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I have both, but don't do any hunting. I have taken a deer with the 45 Colt a while ago and it worked well. Hot loads for the 45 Colt are hard on the cases as they weren't meant for that kind of pressure. That's where the 454 comes in. I would say 44 Mag would be a more universal cartridge as they come factory loaded for hunting. You can also run 44 Special for just plinking.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    330   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    A lot of good points on these replies. I'm going against the grain though. I'd take a 45 Colt over a 44 Mag most days of the week. I LOVE my 45 Colt guns - Henry Case hardened, SAAs, Model 25, Henry 1860, etc. I shoot more 45 Colt than anything else, and with the right gun and load, there's nothing a 44 Mag can do that a Colt can't.

Also, I can load it up or down depending on what I want to do (and even though I load 44 Special), I like having one case, multiple loads, all of them awesome.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    A lot of good points on these replies. I'm going against the grain though. I'd take a 45 Colt over a 44 Mag most days of the week. I LOVE my 45 Colt guns - Henry Case hardened, SAAs, Model 25, Henry 1860, etc. I shoot more 45 Colt than anything else, and with the right gun and load, there's nothing a 44 Mag can do that a Colt can't.

Also, I can load it up or down depending on what I want to do (and even though I load 44 Special), I like having one case, multiple loads, all of them awesome.
    You can’t go wrong with a color case hardened rifle. I have a replica of a Winchester 94 case hardened with an octagon barrel in 45 colt. Prolly my favorite rifle.

Top Bottom