• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It seems Ohio is still exercising the ghost of Howard Metzenbaum. Good on the Buckeye State and good for the Buckeyes (Ohioans??)

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Thank god Ohio came to their senses... the fact this even needs to be a law instead of just being common sense says a lot about where we are as a country... but at least we are winning in a lot of states.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I remember being on a murder jury in Ohio in the 90s, and my surprise at the judge's instructions to the jury, informing us Ohio was a "duty to retreat" state (the self-defense claimant "must demonstrate that he exercised his duty of retreat"...the words are burned in my mind).

Nan Whaley is a worthless cow, the latest in a string of pathetic Dayton Mayors. What, does she think the bar patrons murdered in the Dayton shooting should have "exercised their duty of retreat" before taking deadly action against the twerp? Give me a break.

Frankly, I'm pleasantly surprised Mike DeWine signed the legislation. I thought he would cave the other direction.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thank god Ohio came to their senses... the fact this even needs to be a law instead of just being common sense says a lot about where we are as a country... but at least we are winning in a lot of states.
    The duty to retreat was already the minority rule when Florida gained national media exposure by abolishing the duty to retret because of the number of electoral votes that they have .

Indiana abolished it by Indiana Supreme Court decision in the 1870s.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I wouldn't call it coming to our senses. Our state government had a momentary flash of sanity which I expect will fade quickly.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I remember being on a murder jury in Ohio in the 90s, and my surprise at the judge's instructions to the jury, informing us Ohio was a "duty to retreat" state (the self-defense claimant "must demonstrate that he exercised his duty of retreat"...the words are burned in my mind).

Nan Whaley is a worthless cow, the latest in a string of pathetic Dayton Mayors. What, does she think the bar patrons murdered in the Dayton shooting should have "exercised their duty of retreat" before taking deadly action against the twerp? Give me a break.

Frankly, I'm pleasantly surprised Mike DeWine signed the legislation. I thought he would cave the other direction.
    Actually, I wasn't certain which way he would go, either, as he's a bit of a squish. It was passed in the house by a veto-proof majority and was within one vote of same in the senate. Perhaps he saw the writing on the wall

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Actually, I wasn't certain which way he would go, either, as he's a bit of a squish. It was passed in the house by a veto-proof majority and was within one vote of same in the senate. Perhaps he saw the writing on the wall
    I didn't realize the proximity to veto-proof-ness. That pretty much brings me back to seeing DeWine as a dickless wonder.

For those outside the Buckeye State who haven't had the displeasure of his acquaintance as a politician, here's his gun-control C.V. from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_DeWine#Gun_control

"...In 2004, DeWine co-sponsored an amendment to renew the Federal Assault Weapons Ban. He has repeatedly received an "F" rating from the National Rifle Association.[96] He was endorsed by the National Rifle Association for Governor.[97] He was one of only two Republican Senators to vote against the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, which banned lawsuits against gun manufacturers, distributors and dealers for criminal misuse of their products. In the 2006 election cycle, DeWine was the first senatorial candidate to be endorsed by the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and displayed that endorsement on his campaign webpage.[98][99] In 2019, Governor DeWine proposed a Red Flag Law for Ohio that would allow courts to take a gun from a person if they are seen as a threat to others or themselves.[100]..."

The NRA probably had to tell him he was on the Epstein List to get him to sign this.

Go Bux...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I didn't realize the proximity to veto-proof-ness. That pretty much brings me back to seeing DeWine as a dickless wonder.

For those outside the Buckeye State who haven't had the displeasure of his acquaintance as a politician, here's his gun-control C.V. from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_DeWine#Gun_control

"...In 2004, DeWine co-sponsored an amendment to renew the Federal Assault Weapons Ban. He has repeatedly received an "F" rating from the National Rifle Association.[96] He was endorsed by the National Rifle Association for Governor.[97] He was one of only two Republican Senators to vote against the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, which banned lawsuits against gun manufacturers, distributors and dealers for criminal misuse of their products. In the 2006 election cycle, DeWine was the first senatorial candidate to be endorsed by the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and displayed that endorsement on his campaign webpage.[98][99] In 2019, Governor DeWine proposed a Red Flag Law for Ohio that would allow courts to take a gun from a person if they are seen as a threat to others or themselves.[100]..."

The NRA probably had to tell him he was on the Epstein List to get him to sign this.

Go Bux...
    My impression is he is kind of like a state level republican Joe Biden, a rather befuddled politician at the end of his time at the trough career who was thought to be a safer, controllable candidate than the alternatives by those that voted for him

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Eliminating the immoral and unsafe "duty to retreat" is fantastic for Ohioans. Does that leave only Minnesota as the only DTR state?

Top Bottom