• ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I have the weekend off and after all the rain today I need to get my car/lawn mower/ tiller maintenance in order. The daily driver needs high beams. Why both go out within a week of each other I will never understand. I see the grass growing quickly.if we get dry spell I have a big garden to get in.

Major expense is a new battery for the FJ. Type 27f is required. I was thinking interstate battery as I have had very good luck with them in the past. AGM? It has the Toyota battery in it and I can get 15 dollars back on it from the dealer but I think maybe the interstate will be as good or better. You guys got any better ideas?

I will also be pulling out the back seats and looking to do a rear seat delete but even seeing how nice the goose gear stuff looks I don't think I am spending that type of cash on it which means I need to DYI it. First thing I need to do is remove the rears.
    I've had some interstate batteries that were junk in some equipment, probably just a fluke though.
    Best I've ever had were a set of Deka's in a Ford 7.3, hard starting engine and they worked great and lasted many years.
    Looked into the AGM's last summer when it was time to replace in my Tundra, and decided against them, but forget why now. Sorry I know that's real helpful!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I've had some interstate batteries that were junk in some equipment, probably just a fluke though.
    Best I've ever had were a set of Deka's in a Ford 7.3, hard starting engine and they worked great and lasted many years.
    Looked into the AGM's last summer when it was time to replace in my Tundra, and decided against them, but forget why now. Sorry I know that's real helpful!
    I talked to a friend who's opinion I respect and he stated that 97 precent of automotive batteries sold in the FUSA are made at 4 factories. He said basically there all about the same anymore.
    I think for now maybe just stick with the Toyota OEM battery that is in it. Cheaper than the interstate by 50 dollars. The FJ is a 2009 it is 2023 and since he received it in November 2008 that is 14 years old. The date code on the current battery has 2 months left on the and I get 10 or 15 precent. 84 month warranty or 7 years and had it replaced in dec 2016 in the service records. So according to what I see it will be 7 years before she needs another one. It also say's Toyota. On the battery. Why not.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have the weekend off and after all the rain today I need to get my car/lawn mower/ tiller maintenance in order. The daily driver needs high beams. Why both go out within a week of each other I will never understand. I see the grass growing quickly.if we get dry spell I have a big garden to get in.

Major expense is a new battery for the FJ. Type 27f is required. I was thinking interstate battery as I have had very good luck with them in the past. AGM? It has the Toyota battery in it and I can get 15 dollars back on it from the dealer but I think maybe the interstate will be as good or better. You guys got any better ideas?

I will also be pulling out the back seats and looking to do a rear seat delete but even seeing how nice the goose gear stuff looks I don't think I am spending that type of cash on it which means I need to DYI it. First thing I need to do is remove the rears.
    Around Thanksgiving I replaced an optima red top I had in my 2007 FJ that was 8+ years old and was still going (previous owner had a neverstart battery in it when I bought it and I immediately put the red top in when I bought the FJ in 2014), but getting slow likely due to alot less driving than I did before Covid. I wanted an interstate AGM from Costco but they couldn't tell me when it would be in stock, or if it would come in stock. I would have gone with another Optima but had heard their newer mfg batteries were not as good.

So I ended up watching for a napa sale (it was like $60 off BF sale online and pick up in store) and got this one https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BAT9824F?ir=1&r-src=FBT:PDP&ppid=BAT9834R

I didn't want to pony up the $$$ for an Odyssey. You might check the FJ CRUISER FORUMS. Lots of great info over there.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I talked to a friend who's opinion I respect and he stated that 97 precent of automotive batteries sold in the FUSA are made at 4 factories. He said basically there all about the same anymore.
    I think for now maybe just stick with the Toyota OEM battery that is in it. Cheaper than the interstate by 50 dollars. The FJ is a 2009 it is 2023 and since he received it in November 2008 that is 14 years old. The date code on the current battery has 2 months left on the and I get 10 or 15 precent. 84 month warranty or 7 years and had it replaced in dec 2016 in the service records. So according to what I see it will be 7 years before she needs another one. It also say's Toyota. On the battery. Why not.
    Was the battery in it the Panasonic that a lot of FJs shipped with? The toyota battery being sold now won't be a Panasonic as I understand. The Panasonic batteries that were in the FJs had great reputations.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Interesting conversation about batteries going on here. I just went through a similar discussion on a Jeep Cherokee forum I am on.

The conclusions were basically the same: really only a few manufacturers for batteries, Optima's are not as good as in the past, batteries made by Deka seem to rise to the top.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Was the battery in it the Panasonic that a lot of FJs shipped with? The toyota battery being sold now won't be a Panasonic as I understand. The Panasonic batteries that were in the FJs had great reputations.
    I only have owned the FJ as the second owner. So the current battery is from Texas so I doubt it is a panisonic I think it was true start brand with Toyota stickers. I have the total service history and the battery was replaced at 7 years under a maintenance schedule.

Since deka has been mentioned twice I will look into one of them also.

I will not be going with the old conventional dual battery setup that seems so common in overlanding. The blue eddy AC 60 is being investigated but again that is more a need than a want. That is not needed until I decide if a ice co fridge/freezer is what I want in the FJ or if it will be in a future overland trailer. One of the jump packs has been explored and I think that a go.

The main goal of my mistress sandy is to get me to fishing spots away from people. Hunting also but I am normally very busy during hunting season. Then overlanding to the spot and comfort once arriving. Bad thing is my idea of comfort and the wife's differ. I am good in a tent on the ground and she wants a 4 star hotel on wheels.

Stealth camping is in play.
    A trailer (off-road/cargo) is in play.
    Rear seat delete has been decided ap on as normally it is only me going and that extra space is needed.
    A canoe is in the works so there goes most of the roof rack.
    I think roof top tents are out for me the one I like was over 3k. Overland tax.

Right now I have some measurements to make and some sitting and thinking as to if I am inside asleep how do I get out since the rear door is outside opening only and the suicide doors mean front access to get out.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I only have owned the FJ as the second owner. So the current battery is from Texas so I doubt it is a panisonic I think it was true start brand with Toyota stickers. I have the total service history and the battery was replaced at 7 years under a maintenance schedule.

Since deka has been mentioned twice I will look into one of them also.

I will not be going with the old conventional dual battery setup that seems so common in overlanding. The blue eddy AC 60 is being investigated but again that is more a need than a want. That is not needed until I decide if a ice co fridge/freezer is what I want in the FJ or if it will be in a future overland trailer. One of the jump packs has been explored and I think that a go.

The main goal of my mistress sandy is to get me to fishing spots away from people. Hunting also but I am normally very busy during hunting season. Then overlanding to the spot and comfort once arriving. Bad thing is my idea of comfort and the wife's differ. I am good in a tent on the ground and she wants a 4 star hotel on wheels.

Stealth camping is in play.
    A trailer (off-road/cargo) is in play.
    Rear seat delete has been decided ap on as normally it is only me going and that extra space is needed.
    A canoe is in the works so there goes most of the roof rack.
    I think roof top tents are out for me the one I like was over 3k. Overland tax.

Right now I have some measurements to make and some sitting and thinking as to if I am inside asleep how do I get out since the rear door is outside opening only and the suicide doors mean front access to get out.
    I haven't done it, as I'm not going to be sleeping in the truck unless things have gone bad (and more and more my back wouldn't have it anyway), but there are mods people have done to release back door from inside (one example):

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I haven't done it, as I'm not going to be sleeping in the truck unless things have gone bad (and more and more my back wouldn't have it anyway), but there are mods people have done to release back door from inside (one example):

Well that’s neat.

I was just thinking that a step out behind the passenger door where shoes could go on and off then pull the door handle. The back window only open from the outside also. but I think a button can do that.

She has all the bells and whistles from that year. Like a trail teams setup on a non trail team paint. I do think the simple rear seat deletion like the goose gear one gives the greatest options and should shave a few pounds overall.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm looking for a front bumper for my 2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I have the stock bumper on it now. This is both a daily driver and weekend off roader. So I kinda still care about things like gas mileage and on-road manners. So I kinda don't want a stubby. At least I think I don't. If you have a stubby and don't think there are really downsides to it, I'm open to changing my mind on that. I like the clearance you get with stubbies. I suspect It would negatively affect on-road manners.

I'd also like it to have a winch mount that allows the winch to set low in the bumper. I don't really want a bull-bar/loop/hoop or whatever you feel like calling it. Just a decent front bumper that has good clearance and low mount winch.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I'm looking for a front bumper for my 2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I have the stock bumper on it now. This is both a daily driver and weekend off roader. So I kinda still care about things like gas mileage and on-road manners. So I kinda don't want a stubby. At least I think I don't. If you have a stubby and don't think there are really downsides to it, I'm open to changing my mind on that. I like the clearance you get with stubbies. I suspect It would negatively affect on-road manners.

I'd also like it to have a winch mount that allows the winch to set low in the bumper. I don't really want a bull-bar/loop/hoop or whatever you feel like calling it. Just a decent front bumper that has good clearance and low mount winch.
    Checkout Lodoffroad.com, made in Indiana, great bumpers made with quality steel. If you go to the shop to pick them up, probably get a better price.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Checkout Lodoffroad.com, made in Indiana, great bumpers made with quality steel. If you go to the shop to pick them up, probably get a better price.
    That checks the boxes. It's definitely in the running. Thanks.

ETA: One of the boxes was US made. In Indiana? Even better.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    That checks the boxes. It's definitely in the running. Thanks.

ETA: One of the boxes was US made. In Indiana? Even better.
    I had a set of his bumpers and sliders on a previous Jeep.

His shop is located in Benton County, about 20 minutes from Purdue University.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I had a set of his bumpers and sliders on a previous Jeep.

His shop is located in Benton County, about 20 minutes from Purdue University.
    That’s about a 3h drive. Not terrible but logistics make it more likely I’ll order it if I choose that one

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    20230402_124637.jpg

Carli front diff armor installed. Couldn't have been simpler.

Install:
    Remove 6 bolts
    hold armor in place, install 6 longer beefier bolts
    Torque to 25 ft/lb

Their site says it may require modification for Power Wagon, but on my '21 it fit without any issue at all. I ordered from CJC offroad, they have a 1st responder/Veteran discount if you qualify. They use id.me to verify.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I like the Carli products. CJC is a great company. Very well versed in the Ram trucks.

That armor looks good. I was just looking at those last week.
    It's beefy AF. I nearly dropped it when I had the box in one hand and it shifted inside, causing the box to flip out my grasp. I was near our glass table in the sun room, so that would have been a mess.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

I ended up with this on my Gladiator, for all of the same reasons:

Stubby, low-mount winch, and kept my factory LED fogs.

Don't know how it would impact on-road manners? I mean, it already has the aerodynamics of a concrete block, so no change there.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I ended up with this on my Gladiator, for all of the same reasons:

Stubby, low-mount winch, and kept my factory LED fogs.

Don't know how it would impact on-road manners? I mean, it already has the aerodynamics of a concrete block, so no change there.
    Any change in gas mileage? I'm still tempted to get a stubby.

Top Bottom