• ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    There
    Having spent most of my life in the Army, I've driven a lot of miles off road getting to places in Jeeps, trucks, and tanks, and other tracked vehicles. It got so that this traveling off the beaten path was my very favorite part of being in the Army, and a big reason why I stayed in as long as I did. Now I just love the peace and serenity of being out where nobody else is, and the challenge of going over rugged terrain. It gives me the feeling of being an explorer / settler from the distant past only with a 4x4 rather than a covered wagon.

I even started a facebook page called "Indiana overlanders" a few years ago, that morphed into "Midwest overlanders" when others started to join up. Our small group did a few meets, and camps, but them I had a seizure coming back from the VA and totaled my truck.

View attachment 253986

View attachment 253987

View attachment 253988

Since then, I've been absent from the overlanding community, and from offroading in general. I am, however, building a Jeep from the frame up, so I hope to soon be back on the trail. (Soon is a relative term. I've been at it 5 years so far.)

Jeep build thread. https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/building-a-120-cj7-from-the-frame-up.482728/
    is a newer page on Facebook called Indy Overlanders. We had a meet up a few weeks back at HNF. Seems like a good group of folk.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Gathering parts for our 03 Yukon build. 2” lift. Waiting for rear springs to show up. Also the used tires I picked up awhile back. The truck currently has 18s on it, which have new tires, I will be selling those. I was looking for a set of steel 17”, but struggled finding what I wanted… so I ended up ordering from eBay… I didn’t want to, but got tired of wasting time looking.

7A75BEA5-1A1F-4C4E-B63C-77F443EB377E.jpeg

A3D77BD9-8BEB-48CA-BB6E-5A7D82A73596.jpeg

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Looking at a rear seat delete for the FJ (SANDY).
    My goodness goose gear stuff is expensive and my funds are slim.

I think am going to have to have a garage sale to pay the overland tax.
    I was a car camper for years and we traveled to concerts all over before marriage and kids. Good thing is a have great old gear that can be used all pre 1995 when I was unmarried without kids. Add in that I don’t mind more of a bushcraft style with adding in the tech to the FJ.

My main reason to buy the FJ was fishing then I was introduced to overlanding. I really don’t see the need to crawl rocks or cross rivers. I just want to get away from the crowds to where the bite is.

The FJ is now half payed off in a year and a month. Me being cheap but loving quality stuff I buy once cry once and drink cheap coffee.

Good news for INGO. I might be selling some collectibles soon. I have been collecting certain items since dad took me to gun and knife shows in the 1970’s and 1980’s just have to do the hard part of finding out what I want to keep and what to sell off.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Garage sales are a time honored way of bringing in needed funds. I had a garage sale (well, "yard" sale) back in Oct and got me this thing. Not exactly an overland vehicle, but perfect for a fat old man to run around town on...

View attachment 261962
    Now that is a luxury cruiser for our neighborhood. Plenty of cooler space.

Being semi obsessive with things I have gathered so much stuff (****) it will be like Christmas when I do some organizing. I think I counted 14 Coleman lanterns from the 1950’s to the 1980’s. 7 Dutch ovens. 23 cast iron skillets. My kids don’t need to decide what to do with my **** when I pass so I just need to turn it all into cash while fiat currency is still valid.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Now that is a luxury cruiser for our neighborhood. Plenty of cooler space.

Being semi obsessive with things I have gathered so much stuff (****) it will be like Christmas when I do some organizing. I think I counted 14 Coleman lanterns from the 1950’s to the 1980’s. 7 Dutch ovens. 23 cast iron skillets. My kids don’t need to decide what to do with my **** when I pass so I just need to turn it all into cash while fiat currency is still valid.
    You could open up a general store come post SHTF times...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I just ordered a bulk role of magnetic vinyl sheeting and am going to try and make my own magnetic armor ahead of my first major offroad foray. Updates as events warrant.
    That’ll be interesting. I’m considering paint protection film, but it can be expensive.

I really wish I still had my XJ because I wouldn’t give a **** about pin-striping it. You spend the $$ on something newer and it’s a lot harder not to give a ****.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Looks like some 37's could fit in those wheel wells. Just sayin'.

Depending on the rim and tire, they do. Most need pinch weld trimming, a track bar that centers the axle a little better, and/or a lift kit. 35's will go on the stock rims with no trimming and no rubbing at max flex. The PW has the sway bar disconnect and is more flexy than you'd expect.

I'll probably go 35s at some point, but doubt I go 37.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    35's 37's or 40's. Looking at new gears higher center of gravity new suspension parts angle of the CV joints gas mileage reduction and possible supercharger addition needed for more horsepower. Lots of expense to get them right and for limited gain outside of say the hardest of MOAB trails.

Jeeps on 33's trucks on 33 SUV's on 32.5's or less depending on type. Maybe I am old fashioned or used to my wife saying bigger is not always better.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    35's 37's or 40's. Looking at new gears higher center of gravity new suspension parts angle of the CV joints gas mileage reduction and possible supercharger addition needed for more horsepower. Lots of expense to get them right and for limited gain outside of say the hardest of MOAB trails.

Jeeps on 33's trucks on 33 SUV's on 32.5's or less depending on type. Maybe I am old fashioned or used to my wife saying bigger is not always better.

Power Wagon will handle 35s with no modification and 37s with minor modification. 40's need significant trimming.

It's a 3/4 ton, axles are plenty beefy. 6.4L doesn't need any help to get them spinning with an 8 speed and 4.10s. Gas milage reduction, absolutely, although there are some lighter weight options. 35" split the difference for me just fine, but plenty of guys running 37s on these trucks without issue.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have the weekend off and after all the rain today I need to get my car/lawn mower/ tiller maintenance in order. The daily driver needs high beams. Why both go out within a week of each other I will never understand. I see the grass growing quickly.if we get dry spell I have a big garden to get in.

Major expense is a new battery for the FJ. Type 27f is required. I was thinking interstate battery as I have had very good luck with them in the past. AGM? It has the Toyota battery in it and I can get 15 dollars back on it from the dealer but I think maybe the interstate will be as good or better. You guys got any better ideas?

I will also be pulling out the back seats and looking to do a rear seat delete but even seeing how nice the goose gear stuff looks I don't think I am spending that type of cash on it which means I need to DYI it. First thing I need to do is remove the rears.

Top Bottom