• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    I’d like to ask a question if I may. Let me start by saying I don’t have a tattoo. (I guess I’ve not had a serious enough life event to give me cause for a subject for a tattoo). With that being said let me also state I have nothing against tattoos - and I have seen some especially good ones that are quite fascinating. I have friends who have (1) a portrait of a child that has passed, (2) military related tattoos with dates of service, military unit or branch,etc, or (3) high school sweetheart, cars, etc. that are sometimes well done and sometimes really amatuerish.

The question: Why does it seem that folks with tattoos dress accordingly so that the rest of the world can/must see them ? i.e. Get a tattoo on your upper arm so you the wear a wife beater teacher (sleeveless) shirt. Get a tattoo on your lower leg - so you wear shorts for 365 days a year so we can see them. If it’s a woman with a tattoo on her chest she has to wear the lowest cut blouse or other garment so we can see it.

Is the mentality that tattoos are artwork deserving to be displayed to the general public ALL THE TIME so the appropriately revealing apparel is required ?
    As someone with quite a few tattoos, I don’t feel the need to show them off. You can see some of them if I am wearing a short sleeved shirt but this is not intentional. I got them for me.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Currently I have 1 tattoo and I purposely got it where nobody could see it while dressed. Not because I'm embarrassed by it, but at the time I got it I still wasn't sure what I wanted to do for a living and I didn't want it to hinder me from employment opportunities.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Everyone gets tattoos for different reasons. Some have tattoos that memorialize events or people in their lives. Some get tattoos just because. Some view tattoos as artistic expression. I think the ones that are on display for everyone typically fall into the category of artistic expression (but not all). They are proud of their tattoos, just like a painter would be proud of his masterpiece. They want people to see them.

I have one tattoo, and it is on my upper arm. You wont see it unless I wear a sleeveless shirt. I did it to memorialize events in my life, and its just for me. But I don't have any problem with someone who wants to show off their design. They had their own reasons for getting their tattoos.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Most of my tattoos are covered when I go to work. I have them on my upper arms (think 1/2 sleeve) and on my lower legs. Sometimes my tattoos peak out from under a short-sleeved shirt, but just a portion of them. On the weekends/vacation/etc. when I wear shorts and/or sleeveless shirts, my tattoos can be seen. Otherwise, it's like BBI said, you can only see what you see.

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    This will not go over well I'm guessing. I have one tattoo roughly the size of a business card. It is not visible in shorts and a T-shirt. The only colors are a bluish purple with a black outline. I do not know why I got it in hindsight. Does anyone have any info on best/current removal methods? I know they do some laser stuff, but I don't know how up-to-date that method is.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    This will not go over well I'm guessing. I have one tattoo roughly the size of a business card. It is not visible in shorts and a T-shirt. The only colors are a bluish purple with a black outline. I do not know why I got it in hindsight. Does anyone have any info on best/current removal methods? I know they do some laser stuff, but I don't know how up-to-date that method is.
    Get it covered with something you actually like. They say the laser removal is more painful than getting a tattoo

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    When I was growing up I only remember sailors and circus workers having tattoos, there were probably others but that’s how I remember things. I was in the Navy in the mid 70’s and came close to getting one but never did. I’ve lived 66 years without any and I don’t imagine that’ll be changing but you never know. I’ve seen some really nice ones and also have seen some really bad ones. I’ve seen some people that a tattoo has added to their looks while I’ve seen some naturally beautiful peoples looks destroyed by tattoos. Like anything else in life it’s up to you and what you like or how you want to project yourself. You do you….

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    When I was growing up I only remember sailors and circus workers having tattoos, there were probably others but that’s how I remember things. I was in the Navy in the mid 70’s and came close to getting one but never did. I’ve lived 66 years without any and I don’t imagine that’ll be changing but you never know. I’ve seen some really nice ones and also have seen some really bad ones. I’ve seen some people that a tattoo has added to their looks while I’ve seen some naturally beautiful peoples looks destroyed by tattoos. Like anything else in life it’s up to you and what you like or how you want to project yourself. You do you….
    I was never into tattoos until I went with my wife when she got her second, she had me draw it and she got it on her forearm, at that point I thought what the hell, you only live once, might as well!

Top Bottom