• ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The kid getting ejected from his car during the chili bowl a couple nights ago was totally insane. Really scary stuff and I’m glad he’s OK. I still don’t know if he didn’t get the belts fastened right, or if they got snagged and unbuckled by his arm restraints. Unfortunately, the track was pretty ****** so the main event on Saturday night was mostly a parade from what I’ve heard (I didn’t watch it).

If you’rea retro grouch like me and you dig old school stuff you might want to check this out:

If you know, you know… this has been in the works for quite some time and there will be a lot of stuff rarely or never seen publicly before. A 90-minute documentary on FloRacing about our family.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Shot by the Indianapolis News in 1968, it shows the Joe Hunt Dirt Championship car that Gary Bettenhausen took part of his rookie test in. In the background is the STP turbine from 1967, entered again at Indy in 1968.
    The shot shows very well the technical transition at Indianapolis. One memorable result of Gary running the dirt car at high speed, was that the slipstream tattered his uniform.
    Gary switched, with the help of Bill Vukovich Jr, to a rear-engine Gerhardt to make the race. Joe Leonard damaged silent Sam beyond immediate repair in a first-turn crash during practice.

FB_IMG_1674187581177.jpg

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Back in the 60's Micro midget racing was a pretty big thing. My family was very involved for years.

This is Marty Robbins #777 in he "Big Iron" car leading a heat race at the old Blandford Speedway just outside of Owensboro, Ky.

20230126_151240.jpg

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    The kid getting ejected from his car during the chili bowl a couple nights ago was totally insane. Really scary stuff and I’m glad he’s OK. I still don’t know if he didn’t get the belts fastened right, or if they got snagged and unbuckled by his arm restraints. Unfortunately, the track was pretty ****** so the main event on Saturday night was mostly a parade from what I’ve heard (I didn’t watch it).

If you’rea retro grouch like me and you dig old school stuff you might want to check this out:

If you know, you know… this has been in the works for quite some time and there will be a lot of stuff rarely or never seen publicly before. A 90-minute documentary on FloRacing about our family.
    My wife and I are eagerly awaiting this. Her father was a big fan of Tony in the 50’s and early 60’s. She remembers seeing him race in the north east when she was little.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    USAC put out a press release about the FloRacing Legends of Racing Series today:

Finally was able to sit down and watch it. It is very nicely done. I’m a history and documentary nerd so it was awesome to watch. I knew some of stories and what not but the human element it puts to larger than life racing legends and of course the name was my favorite part. Much like meeting you and your brother for a couple deals on here.

Hope to see you all at some usac events this year. I’m typically lurking around the pits with the family mostly with CJs team or wherever the track is serving the popcorn!

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    My wife and I just finished watching the Bettenhausen documentary on Flo Sports. We both are very impressed with how the story is told. This alone is worth the cost of the annual subscription.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    My wife and I just finished watching the Bettenhausen documentary on Flo Sports. We both are very impressed with how the story is told. This alone is worth the cost of the annual subscription.
    I believe you can watch this for free:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Finally was able to sit down and watch it. It is very nicely done. I’m a history and documentary nerd so it was awesome to watch. I knew some of stories and what not but the human element it puts to larger than life racing legends and of course the name was my favorite part. Much like meeting you and your brother for a couple deals on here.

Hope to see you all at some usac events this year. I’m typically lurking around the pits with the family mostly with CJs team or wherever the track is serving the popcorn!
    CJ pitted next to us (Davey Ray #14AJ) at Bloomington a few times last year, so hopefully we’ll see you.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sad news from the USAC AMSOil National Sprint Car Series season opener at Lawrenceburg last night.. Justin Owen died after a violent crash during single-car qualifiying. The car bicycled entering turn 3 and slammed cage-first into the concrete wall before flipping several times. He was airlifted out but could not be saved. The remainder of the program was canceled for the evening.

Edit: I will not post a video here out of respect for his family, but it’s easy to go find.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Sad news from the USAC AMSOil National Sprint Car Series season opener at Lawrenceburg last night.. Justin Owen died after a violent crash during single-car qualifiying. The car bicycled entering turn 3 and slammed cage-first into the concrete wall before flipping several times. He was airlifted out but could not be saved. The remainder of the program was canceled for the evening.

Edit: I will not post a video here out of respect for his family, but it’s easy to go find.
    I saw that news. Kind of unbelievable that despite today's safety technology drivers can still get killed.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I saw that news. Kind of unbelievable that despite today's safety technology drivers can still get killed.
    Like dad would say his last couple of years driving the Menards Lola Buick V6 at Indy: “When your body stops your guts keep going until they hit something.” Some impact events are simply not survivable and this was one of those.

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Not gonna lie. When I saw this thread pop up and I clicked on it, it took me to some years ago when I was commenting on the Hoosier Hundred and the mouse chimed in. Seems my house could use a dusting.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Indiana Sprint Week starts July 21st @ Gas City!

BTW Dave Darland won at Kokomo last night. Huge win... his first win after his stroke. I am thrilled for him.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Indiana Sprint Week starts July 21st @ Gas City!

BTW Dave Darland won at Kokomo last night. Huge win... his first win after his stroke. I am thrilled for him.
    I was happy to see it for sure. Trying to finalize sprint week plans now. May be a little tricky this year. Wife broke leg Friday

Top Bottom