• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    A friend of mine is from Illinois, but maybe bed here a few years ago.

His father doesn't have much longer sadly.

In the coming weeks he will be driving to IL to collect a few things.

His mom wants to give him a couple of his grandfather's old rifles.

Can he go collect them and drive home, must he go through an ffl?

Is this a pit them in your trunk and don't get pulled over situation?

Thoughts?

Anyone delt with this before?

TIA

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    to be 100% perfectly letter-of-the-law specific... If the guns are not specifically enumerated in a Will as passing to your friend as inheritance, then they'll need to go through an FFL.

so if your friend wants to be/stay 100% legal, he should contact an FFL and explain the situation and ask if he can "walk them in" to do the appropriate transfers and pay the fee/s for the service. In this situation, I'd probably also want a letter of some kind from the parents stating they're giving these as gifts. The FFL-holder will also probably want a copy of a driver's license as well.

It MAY be slightly easier to quickly have them added to a simple will (Make, model, Serial #).

OR, once the father passes away, they all become immediate property of the mother. The mother can then LEND them to your friend. Lent/borrowed firearms do not need to be transferred in order to come across state lines.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    to be 100% perfectly letter-of-the-law specific... If the guns are not specifically enumerated in a Will as passing to your friend as inheritance, then they'll need to go through an FFL.

so if your friend wants to be/stay 100% legal, he should contact an FFL and explain the situation and ask if he can "walk them in" to do the appropriate transfers and pay the fee/s for the service. In this situation, I'd probably also want a letter of some kind from the parents stating they're giving these as gifts. The FFL-holder will also probably want a copy of a driver's license as well.

It MAY be slightly easier to quickly have them added to a simple will (Make, model, Serial #).

OR, once the father passes away, they all become immediate property of the mother. The mother can then LEND them to your friend. Lent/borrowed firearms do not need to be transferred in order to come across state lines.
    Thanks I'll pass the info along

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    As insane as things are right now, I'm leaning toward "don't ask, don't tell" and throwing them in the truck underneath all the other boxes of stuff you're taking with you. Last thing you need is to be dealing with a bogus denial or the wrong person sniffing around. Minimizing contact with institutions is a good rule for a happy and peaceful life.

But that's just me.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Another vote for just go get the family guns. Once you pick them up they are yours, they are not in any system so just go get them an get back here. A locked gun case is a good suggestion.

If someone does ask you whose they are you can truthfully say they are yours passed down to you as family heirlooms. How long have you had them? Since Grandpa bought them.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    "Gun owners are the most law-abiding citizens there are..." Unless it's a law they don't like.

I was just passing along what my understanding of the process is to remain legal.

I mean, no skin off my back at all should the dude's friend drive to his parents house to retrieve his guns he loaned his dad.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?
    Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).

Top Bottom