• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whisk604

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2017
    Rensselaer
    Also do not transport the firearms with mags or ammo together. If the guns are in the back keep the mags and ammo in the glove box. I know that's a rule there.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    I asked my uncle (retired ILSP down around the Danville area) when I got old enough to buy firearms and wanted to bring some to shoot with him. He said he didnt know, was a pretty grey area outside of Chicago. He just told me to keep the firearms locked up trunk, keep the mags/ammo in a locked bag in the back seat, mind my road manners, and keep my mouth shut if i got pulled over. Been doing it that way 4 or 5 times a year since and never had any problems but ive also never been pulled over in IL.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Also do not transport the firearms with mags or ammo together. If the guns are in the back keep the mags and ammo in the glove box. I know that's a rule there.
    I am sorry but that is not a law in Illinois, at least it was not while I lived there from 1946 to 2020. It is a common misconception put forward by a lot of LEO's who either did not know the law or were telling you the way they wanted things to work. The state of Illinois regulates the transportation of firearms but has never regulated the transportation of ammunition.
    Firearms may be transported legally in any of three ways: 1) Unloaded and in a case. 2) Broken down so it is inoperable. 3) Not immediately accessible. Of the three ways #1 is the most common and sometimes combined with #3. The case does not have to be locked and ammo can be inside the case as long as it is not in the firearm. If you also lock everything in the trunk you have went beyond what is necessary.
    What Whisk604 stated is the federal safe transportation law for transportation across states. According to the federal transportation law the ammo must be seperate from the firearm while transporting through a state such as New Jersey where state law prohibits possession of pretty much anything. Since Illinois does not regulate transportation of ammo this step is not necessary. Jim.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Firearms may be transported legally in any of three ways: 1) Unloaded and in a case. 2) Broken down so it is inoperable. 3) Not immediately accessible. Of the three ways #1 is the most common and sometimes combined with #3. The case does not have to be locked and ammo can be inside the case as long as it is not in the firearm. If you also lock everything in the trunk you have went beyond what is necessary.

except when you have an Indiana LTCH (or other state version).

Whisk604

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2017
    Rensselaer
    I am sorry but that is not a law in Illinois, at least it was not while I lived there from 1946 to 2020. It is a common misconception put forward by a lot of LEO's who either did not know the law or were telling you the way they wanted things to work. The state of Illinois regulates the transportation of firearms but has never regulated the transportation of ammunition.
    What Whisk604 stated is the federal safe transportation law for transportation across states. According to the federal transportation law the ammo must be seperate from the firearm while transporting through a state such as New Jersey where state law prohibits possession of pretty much anything. Since Illinois does not regulate transportation of ammo this step is not necessary. Jim.
    I was quoting the Illinois state Police officer that was ripping my vehicle apart.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    to be 100% perfectly letter-of-the-law specific... If the guns are not specifically enumerated in a Will as passing to your friend as inheritance, then they'll need to go through an FFL.

so if your friend wants to be/stay 100% legal, he should contact an FFL and explain the situation and ask if he can "walk them in" to do the appropriate transfers and pay the fee/s for the service. In this situation, I'd probably also want a letter of some kind from the parents stating they're giving these as gifts. The FFL-holder will also probably want a copy of a driver's license as well.

It MAY be slightly easier to quickly have them added to a simple will (Make, model, Serial #).

OR, once the father passes away, they all become immediate property of the mother. The mother can then LEND them to your friend. Lent/borrowed firearms do not need to be transferred in order to come across state lines.
    Thank you for that information. I didn't know you could bypass a FFL by using a will. I do have one for my firearms. Now another question. Will a Will work with handguns also?

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Don’t ask/don’t tell. Not my recommendation...just deciphering the shorthand for you :)

If it were me, I’d have already buried the rifles in my back yard :D When you think it is time to bury your guns...it's time to dig them up...........

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Does IL have registration of long guns? And if so, have these rifles been registered? If there's no paper trail, who is to say where the rifles came from?

Top Bottom