Obama: Radioactive plume heading for North America is not harmful; Do not prepare

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Obama went on record today, definitively stating that NO harmful radiation is going to float over any of the 50 states, and that his experts DO NOT recommend any preparations other than listen to his hot air.

President Obama on Japan Nuclear Crisis: No Harmful Radiation in U.S.
    "I want to be very clear: We do not expect harmful levels of radiation to reach the U.S., whether it's the west coast, Hawaii, Alaska, or the U.S. territories in the Pacific."

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and public health experts do not recommend people in the U.S. take precautionary measures beyond staying informed."

Other sources
    NY Times: Minor health problems possible in North America

USAToday: U.S. radiation experts try to decipher reports from Japan, Impossible to gauge danger

Interactive Forecast map for path of Radioactive Plume - NYTimes.com

Official U.N. Forecast

Path of the North Pacific Jet Stream

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    "Extremely minor health consequences" ?!? I was REALLY hoping for NO health consequences.:ugh:

I wasn't concerned about anything coming our way till I read this. Since govzilla said there's nothing to worry about, I'll be certain to take some iodine tablets now. Too bad we can't get our hands on some of that ex-rad.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    "Extremely minor health consequences" ?!? I was REALLY hoping for NO health consequences.:ugh:

I wasn't concerned about anything coming our way till I read this. Since govzilla said there's nothing to worry about, I'll be certain to take some iodine tablets now. Too bad we can't get our hands on some of that ex-rad.

You might want to consider the potential side effects of KI, the half-life of I-129, and the residence time inthe atmosphere.

Or it might be simpler to just go ahead and follow a brownian path.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am with rambone on this. The government should immediately start a forced radiation immunization program :D

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    You might want to consider the potential side effects of KI, the half-life of I-129, and the residence time inthe atmosphere.

It might be best to let Darwinism run it's course, if you know what I'm saying.

I kid I kid

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    The CDC flipped out and practically declared martial law over a freaking flu virus; albeit a "cloud of radiation" isn't enough to warrant preparation at the very least?

:n00b:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

Oh come on, look at the map legend. First of all, the units are arbitrary which means they really don't know at all how much is going to hit us, but second, pay attention to the scale of the legend. Red is .1 to 1, orange is .01 to .1, and white/yellow is 0 to .01.

Now lets consider for a minute that 1 will likely be based upon the highest radiation level they measure in the atmosphere. That level may be enough to cause some pretty serious damage. But then look how quickly that diminishes. Pretty much anywhere that isn't Red is already predicted to be less than 10% of the max level measured, and the white/yellow area (which looks to be about 90% of what will hit the US) will be less than 1% of the max measured level.

All it takes is a little common sense and self-investigation to realize that the media is trying to spin it to look like a worst possible case scenario.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

Agreed:laugh: I forgot to use my purple. As compatriot said, we've sent far more radiation into our own atmosphere, and I'm fine. I do have that sixth toe thing, but I'm not sure it's related.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    As one of the scientists said last week, any amount of radiation is to much. ANY

Better not stand outside in the sun, or, in fact, anywhere above ground, as the background radiation from the universe will get ya'. Can't go below ground either because of trace radioactive elements in the soil and rock, not to mention radon emitted by their decay. Maybe under the ocean?

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I'll just wait it out and see if any sort of super powers start to kick in. I'm hoping for something that lets me fly or shoot focused energy blasts from my eyes.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    If they say it's a big deal, you call it fear mongering. They're always trying to keep the sheep riled up.

If they say it's not a big deal, you call it propaganda. They're always trying to keep the sheep from getting riled up.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying.

Bull

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Jennings County
    I am wondering how you can read this statement
    "I want to be very clear: We do not expect harmful levels of radiation to reach the U.S., whether it's the west coast, Hawaii, Alaska, or the U.S. territories in the Pacific."

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and public health experts do not recommend people in the U.S. take precautionary measures beyond staying informed."

and hear this statement
    "Obama went on record today, definitively stating that NO harmful radiation is going to float over any of the 50 states, and that his experts DO NOT recommend any preparations other than listen to his hot air."

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I am wondering how you can read this statement

and hear this statement
    "Obama went on record today, definitively stating that NO harmful radiation is going to float over any of the 50 states, and that his experts DO NOT recommend any preparations other than listen to his hot air."

I highlighted the parts in red that made me interpret that.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I am with rambone on this. The government should immediately start a forced radiation immunization program :D

Is there a shot available for this?

Is it (mostly) safe for my kids?

Is there any other ways we can be exposed to radiation that .GOV hasn't listed in my literature packet?

While we're all together one last time, (before we all melt) I just wanted to say you guys are really swell, and I've enjoyed all the humor you've brought to me through these very entertaining posts.

God Speed.

Top Bottom