NWI INGO/Winamac DNR Youth Day - Saturday, July 30, 2022 (WE ARE BACK!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    It isn't just the fact that you have to register, it is that the DNR won't even tell you who is doing the background check and what they do with the info. I emailed them and they haven't responded.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    --UPDATE--
    Right now we have 9 confirmed registered volunteers. We need a minimum of 16 in order to fully do this event. 13 are the bare bones to limp along and do the event.

The deadline to be registered with DNR as a volunteer is JUN 27, 2022 so about 57 days away.
    I am unsure at this time if we will be able to get enough volunteers for the event.

I have yet to reply to DNR which emailed me a week ago. Due to my van being stolen I have been busy dealing with real life issues.

A few reminds.
    1) Keep the posts about the event not about attempting to make a different NON-DNR Private Range event

2) The new registration process is not a WINAMAC DNR idea. It is a DNR HQ (Indianapolis) requirement.

3) DNR Winamac is in the initial stages getting a pistol range approved. They have passed the hard part of getting past the review board. This repeated event is what would most likely get the review board to finally approve the funds and get the matching federal funds for the pistol range.

4) If as a group we do not want to do it that is fine. I will not be mad with any of you. I will inform DNR in say 30 days that we can not muster enough people for the event. Right now I plan on telling them that we have only 9 confirmed, and 5 NOs.

Marvin02 thank you for passing the banner back to us.

@all
    If this falls apart then the donor ammo will need to go to another organization that does these events. Unsure at this point who/what that may be.

--HISTORICAL INF--
    Kingburg DNR was the first in our area to do an event like this. 1 year before Winamac did it. That event was run fully by Kingburg staff. They did it for 2 years that I know of before it was stopped due to both attendance and staffing issues.

We and Winamac have done it the longest in the northern part of the state. I am not aware of any other DNR location doing it and neither was Winamac. So we are an anomaly for the state and they have not been sure how to handle us since the start.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    @jedi, can you get the DNR to tell us who does the background check, who has access to the info, and the reason it's required? They did not answer my email that I sent, which I posted earlier in the thread.

Sorry about your van, but you went from March 14 until May 1 to answer any of the questions and concerns posted here.

As far as your #1 item, "Keep the posts about the event not about attempting to make a different NON-DNR Private Range event" I'm not seeing a mod designation by your avatar. If you think a post is out of line report it to the actual mods. I think members are entitled to express their opinion about the event, even if that means suggesting an alternative.

If the ammo donations need to be passed on you might try one of the 4H groups that teach gun safety/shooting to youngsters.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    @jedi,

As far as your #1 item, "Keep the posts about the event not about attempting to make a different NON-DNR Private Range event" I'm not seeing a mod designation by your avatar. If you think a post is out of line report it to the actual mods. I think members are entitled to express their opinion about the event, even if that means suggesting an alternative.
    Not a mod either... But suggesting alternatives would probably not belong. Expressing your opinion of the event in question is a different story altogether.

No "feeler" threads here. This forum is for specific INGO events only. If you're in the beginning stages of trying to put something together, and a "feeler" thread would be helpful, then post it in the appropriate forum first. eg. "Who wants to play poker?" goes in the Break Room, "Who wants to go shooting with me at XXX Range?" goes in General Firearms Discussion. Same goes for if you're trying to organize something around a non-INGO event (like "Let's meet at the Indy 1500!").

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Took me awhile to remember where the link was.
    To save people the trouble

Phone # and email "required".

Umm, really?
    So I guess Dad isn't going then, no email.
    And I don't really give out my number or email, or rarely do, so...

I just saw this thread and was checking my calendar, but registering with the DNR to help with the event is a no go.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    It's understandable.
    Thank you for your interest.

I liked working the one that I did, despite being terrified of being around kids all day. I normally swear like two sailors in the middle of a swearing contest, but was able to refrain from any harsh language.

I'm sure I'm on enough lists and such that I may get over the whole giving the DNR my info. I mean I give the government my info at the BMV, when I buy a suppressor, and when I begrudgingly do my taxes, so what's one more government entity having my information really going to do?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Bump

Getting close to the time to either deem the event a go or no go.

Still need several more volunteers to make this event a reality after a 2 year hiatus.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Calling NWI, NCI, NEI, Indy folks, and folks willing to make a drive (hey, we had a family drive up from Indy a couple years ago from word of mouth).

You will find this event very rewarding to bolster the 2A community. The folks that attend this want to be a part of this community and usually have no other avenue to pursue it. Please consider donating your time and talents.

I'll share my one year's revelation at the trap station: Youngster, about 12, came to the trap area with mom and dad. Coached him up and he took his 1st pull. Coached a minor adjustment and the kid was lights out. Never missed. I overheard a mom's sigh of relief, "I think we finally found the 1 thing he's good at."

Kid came back a 2nd time and was solid and appreciative. This event has its rewards.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom