NWI INGO/Winamac DNR Youth Day - Saturday, July 30, 2022 (WE ARE BACK!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Looks like we need to move to plan B and cut off the arm to save the body. Ugh, I'm never going to get these donations off my bench.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I wonder what would happen if INGO members just showed up too volunteer at the appointed date and time without going through teh DNR's volunteer registration process?

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I wonder what would happen if INGO members just showed up too volunteer at the appointed date and time without going through teh DNR's volunteer registration process?
    I guess I'm a little confused. The two times @PhotoNinja and I volunteered, we had to fill out a form for the DNR for being participants(volunteers) at the event. Did no one else have to fill out this form?

I hope those who refuse to volunteer because they have to register with DNR, I hope they never buy a fishing or hunting license. Or sign up for a DNR special hunt. The DNR requires as much or more personal information for those activities as this activity.

Let me tell you how important it is that we do this shoot. Last time it was held, 2019, @PhotoNinja was doing her photography thing and happened to strike up a convo with a female participant(middle aged woman). @PhotoNinja asked if she was enjoying herself, and the woman said yes, and that she was initially scared of guns and when she saw the flyer...figured she would check it out. At the shoot she saw other women shooting guns and decided to give it a try. After shooting, she said she didn't know why she was scared of guns, they're not that scary.

This is just one example of how we can reach out to new gun owners and bring new shooters into the sport/hobby.

If you feel that strong about not volunteering, so be it. I just wanted to share why it is important that this shoot happens, this year and in the future.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I agree it's important.
    It's important enough that Indiana doesn't need to add more red tape.
    Indiana has a history of selling information.
    So, they don't need my support to help them sell my info.
    Also, my info is none of their business.

I already made allowances for the "not allowed to carry a gun in the holster".
    I've bent for them.
    Now it's their turn.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I guess I'm a little confused. The two times @PhotoNinja and I volunteered, we had to fill out a form for the DNR for being participants(volunteers) at the event. Did no one else have to fill out this form?

I hope those who refuse to volunteer because they have to register with DNR, I hope they never buy a fishing or hunting license. Or sign up for a DNR special hunt. The DNR requires as much or more personal information for those activities as this activity.

Let me tell you how important it is that we do this shoot. Last time it was held, 2019, @PhotoNinja was doing her photography thing and happened to strike up a convo with a female participant(middle aged woman). @PhotoNinja asked if she was enjoying herself, and the woman said yes, and that she was initially scared of guns and when she saw the flyer...figured she would check it out. At the shoot she saw other women shooting guns and decided to give it a try. After shooting, she said she didn't know why she was scared of guns, they're not that scary.

This is just one example of how we can reach out to new gun owners and bring new shooters into the sport/hobby.

If you feel that strong about not volunteering, so be it. I just wanted to share why it is important that this shoot happens, this year and in the future.
    I don't think anyone is saying that it is not important. However they lost a lot of us at "No more carrying at the shooting range." We have a fundamental right to carry a gun on public property. It is wrong to ask us to give that right up. This is why it is so important to tell them we can't volunteer due to their demands. And when they can't do their program and attendance go down and they start to cut staff, they can push those complaints up the chain.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I don't think anyone is saying that it is not important. However they lost a lot of us at "No more carrying at the shooting range." We have a fundamental right to carry a gun on public property. It is wrong to ask us to give that right up. This is why it is so important to tell them we can't volunteer due to their demands. And when they can't do their program and attendance go down and they start to cut staff, they can push those complaints up the chain.
    I'll be honest, I don't think about the "No more carrying" because the only time I have ever been to a DNR range is for the INGO youth shoot and once for a INGO meet & shoot. And thinking about it, it should be a priority; it is our right to carry on public property.

My focus was on getting more/new shooters into the sport/hobby. I kinda had blinders on in that respect. You mentioned pushing complaints up the chain, That has got me motivated to reach out to my "elected officials" and do some complaining.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    When at the range, I CARRY.
    I switch to Concealed, but I carry.

I am not having guns and ammo lying around for someone else to "start something".
    There are multiple cases of people stealing guns or harming people, at ranges.

But, concealing is allowance I can make.

There is an option to find a private range.
    But then we don't have the DNRs "seal of approval". Some of the public may find that "seal" comforting.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just saw this. Sorry for the delay.

I'll know better near the time but I would like to attend and volunteer.

Not 100% this year. Things are... complicated. That said, I do enjoy attending and doing what I can.

Regards,

Doug

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I just saw this. Sorry for the delay.

I'll know better near the time but I would like to attend and volunteer.

Not 100% this year. Things are... complicated. That said, I do enjoy attending and doing what I can.

Regards,

Doug
    Doug,

Did you note that you need to register with the DNR in order to volunteer this year?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom