Not open for further replies.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Events in late August/early September like Popcorn Festival are bad because there is food everywhere. The yellowjackets congregate around the food booths and trash cans.

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Both my 1yr old daughter and myself were stung twice a piece at creek ridge county park in Laporte County while my son was getting water from the water fountain a month back. Seen the yellow jackets pouring out from under the wood as the water was distrubing them. My daughter was less than a ft away when I grabbed her up. She got hit right between her eyes and on her lip. I got hit on my finger and top of my head. Told my son to run like Forrest Gump back to the car.

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    they also make nests underground and get really pissed when you mow over the hole, I know from first hand experience
    Oh yeah, back in the day I did tree removal. We disturbed an underground nest and got attacked. We ran in the road and started smacking each other with our leather gloves. Had to sweep a nice size pile of them up in the road. Seemed more like bites than stings, we were wearing jeans and maybe long sleeves too? Can't remember too much. Was Pre-camera phone days...

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Kid told me they have them on their school playground. Got the can of spray to take care of it when I pick him up.

Best to identify where the nest is, then wait for dark until they're all in the hive. If you spray during daylight you're gonna **** them off, and anyone that comes near will get dinged. Best medicine is 1/4 cup gasoline dumped into hole and stuff a rag in said hole. Fumes kill them all gone, thee bastages!

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Had replace a piece of vinyl sighting on the back of a house today.

As soon as I touched the wall I felt a burn on the back of my neck and realized I had realized I had disturbed a nest in the wall. It was a black wasp and after I got 10' away he went back to the wall and sat there watching me I went back to pick up my hammer off the ground where I dropped it and he came out to hit me again.

I backed off quickly and stood there watching him went back with my hammer and swatted him and swatted him.

More came out so the piece of siding is still laying there on the ground.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My wife found a yellow-jacket nest in the ground at the base of a post for our pasture fence. I got some stuff at Menards last night that's supposed to be for ground dwelling wasps and sprayed it, and again this morning. They were still around this morning and seemed very peeved.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    My wife found a yellow-jacket nest in the ground at the base of a post for our pasture fence. I got some stuff at Menards last night that's supposed to be for ground dwelling wasps and sprayed it, and again this morning. They were still around this morning and seemed very peeved.

Try a little gasoline tonight - don't light it. Stop up the entrance. All dead tomorrow morning.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Pretty sure that everything north of US30 is rat infested and the thug & gun toting yoots up there generally miss their targets but hit small children and elderly people.
    Our yoots r training for the imperial storm trooper academy, thus y they miss.

But since u r oooooolllllldddd u fit in the eldery category above so b careful.:rofl:

jedi made it out of chriaqi safe again.
    Still 2 many months to go. Ugh

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Called off a few weeks back on the first half of a double because my neck was stiff and I couldn't turn my head to the right. I was supposed to run a crane with the tongs on the right for that shift. Called off, strapped a heating pad to my neck, went back to bed, then went in for the second half and ran my normal crane with the tongs on the left with no issue. Urgent cares aren't open at 10:00 at night so I didn't go and get a Dr note.

Got a write up today with a five day suspension pending termination because some crap from two years ago never fell off my record like they said it would. I have a meeting on Monday with the HR dick to keep my job. I'm not worried because people have kept their jobs for far more egregious crap.

So all I learned was if I have to call off, call off both shifts, get that doctor note, and probably miss one or two additional shifts because doc always want you to be out for 24-48 hours after symptoms cease.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom