• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I haven't been to Menards since they went full mask nazi. Home Depot now gets all of my business of that kind.
    I go to Menards ONLY when I have to.

Home Depot is my box store of choice. Lowes is good for some things, but I have a hard time finding things I need in stock at Lowes.

Both Home Depot and Lowes have higher quality goods than Menards for most things. I'm good with not replacing cheap junk every 3 years when I can pay 10-15% more and get something that lasts 7-10+ years.

I miss Sears Hardware stores. The guy working the plumbing department was typically a retired plumber who knew exactly what I needed. Guy in the electrical area was a retired electrician. Etc Etc

GRAVES219

Black Rifles Matter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2021
    Hobart
    In 10 years I haven’t had a 4473 take more than 10 mins to hear back from. Had a AR lower shipped to an FFL, filled out all the ****, they said July 8th they’ll get back to me.

GRAVES219

Black Rifles Matter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2021
    Hobart
    never understood the calumet township/black oak/miller etc. all Gary. I get naming sections of the city unofficially, but it's all gary per postal code.
    Chicago is the same way. And when I lived in Gary, I made sure to tel folks it was Calumet Township. Because even mentioning Gary to some folks is bad

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    never understood the calumet township/black oak/miller etc. all Gary. I get naming sections of the city unofficially, but it's all gary per postal code.
    Sections of Calumet Twp are not part of any city/town, they are unincorporated areas. Black Oak was not a part of Gary until 1976, when Gary annexed the area.

Black Oak is still part of the Calumet Twp. school system.

Miller actually asked to be annexed in 1919.

Postal codes are assigned to make the delivery of mail possible/more efficient, they have little to do with the governing body you answer to. That is the biggest difference, the unincorporated areas are not governed by Gary.

Chicago has 77 community areas most defined in the 1920s:

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Some Neighborhoods in larger towns/cities used to be independent municipalities. Overtime time, they were incorporated into the larger city. Those old neighborhoods still retain their old city name

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom