NWI INGO General Post Part 20 - Raccons 4 Life!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Anyone have some recommendations for a good tree service. My large oak needs a few dead limbs removed.

I've had no luck so far with 3 places.

I'll call them out.

Cams tree service
    Edmunds tree service
    Region tree service

All 3 I had date set for them to come out and give an estimate. None showed and none of them called to reschedule or anything.
    We are going through the same nonsense. Cams came out and gave us a quote. Tried calling, left a message. Heard nothing back. I'm thinking how busy are these services. Tried another company. Talked to the gal in the office. Heard nothing back. Guess we'll wait till spring and try again. Frustrating.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    We are going through the same nonsense. Cams came out and gave us a quote. Tried calling, left a message. Heard nothing back. I'm thinking how busy are these services. Tried another company. Talked to the gal in the office. Heard nothing back. Guess we'll wait till spring and try again. Frustrating.
    Had same issues 2 years ago trying to get my roof done. Same issue 4 years ago getting my gutters done.
    Few years back wanted estimate on redoing my driveway. Out of 11 companies only 2 showed.
    Swear it's a pain in the ass just to get someone to show

Doug28450

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Hobart
    Had same issues 2 years ago trying to get my roof done. Same issue 4 years ago getting my gutters done.
    Few years back wanted estimate on redoing my driveway. Out of 11 companies only 2 showed.
    Swear it's a pain in the ass just to get someone to show
    I feel your pain. We're trying to get our detached garage replaced. I've sent plans to probably a dozen contractors and can't get a price.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    I used price-rite tree a couple years ago, they communicated well, told me 6-8 weeks til they would get to the job, it was 6/7 weeks when they showed up and completed it in a day. quoted me 2500 originally, i scoffed a little and they came down to 2k

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I used price-rite tree a couple years ago, they communicated well, told me 6-8 weeks til they would get to the job, it was 6/7 weeks when they showed up and completed it in a day. quoted me 2500 originally, i scoffed a little and they came down to 2k

It's been a few years now, but Timber Masters was kinda like Price-Rite for you. Took probably a week to come give me a price, then another week or two to get it done.

I couldn't believe the amount of equipment they brought out. End-to-end, probably half a block long. Had several huge maples and Locus trees trimmed, and some pruning of smaller trees. Seems like it was around $2K also, but when they left, there was not a twig on the ground from their work.

One thing I didn't mention because I didn't want to discourage Don, is that it's probably harder to get them out for a small job. I bet they want $500 just to show up, but when you see their equipment, it makes sense.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    One thing I didn't mention because I didn't want to discourage Don, is that it's probably harder to get them out for a small job. I bet they want $500 just to show up, but when you see their equipment, it makes sense.
    I'm figuring it'll cost $800 or so. There's 3 good size limbs that need to come down about 40ft up. If I had access to a bucket truck I'd do it myself. Getting close to seeing what it would cost to rent a scissor lift

Side note. Called Joe's Got Wood tree service. Told me had a job they were doing close by to me and would swing by for estimate. This was around noon. So far, nothing, and now it's raining

Last edited:

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I'm figuring it'll cost $800 or so. There's 3 good size limbs that need to come down about 40ft up. If I had access to a bucket truck I'd do it myself. Getting close to seeing what it would cost to rent a scissor lift

Side note. Called Jim's Got Wood tree service. Told me had a job they were doing close by to me and would swing by for estimate. This was around noon. So far, nothing, and now it's raining
    We have used several local tree services for small jobs and it's typical to have to wait for them to finally get around to giving you an estimate. They are like most contractors in that regard.

If you find yourself still searching, we have used Briggs Tree Service in Lansing and Brian's Tree Service in Highland with good results. My neighbor has been using Davey Tree for trimming the past few years and seems to be happy with them.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I feel your pain. We're trying to get our detached garage replaced. I've sent plans to probably a dozen contractors and can't get a price.
    We had some carpentry work done on the front of the house last year and have been talking with the same contractor about a bathroom. They are 4-6 months out on discussing new work and 8-12 months on starting anything.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    We had some carpentry work done on the front of the house last year and have been talking with the same contractor about a bathroom. They are 4-6 months out on discussing new work and 8-12 months on starting anything.
    I have some comments about that, but they'd be "political", so not for the "break room"

Doug28450

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Hobart

Side note. Called Jim's Got Wood tree service. Told me had a job they were doing close by to me and would swing by for estimate. This was around noon. So far, nothing, and now it's raining
    Joe and my neighbor are buddies. My neighbor works at one of the mills, but helps him out on weekends and evenings in the summer. For our tree, Joe was there when the Hobart arborist (yes, Hobart has an arborist) showed up. Joe gave my wife a price and when the arborist started giving my wife a hard time he dropped the price without my wife saying word because of the arborist. He was out the next day and the tree was gone.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Joe and my neighbor are buddies. My neighbor works at one of the mills, but helps him out on weekends and evenings in the summer. For our tree, Joe was there when the Hobart arborist (yes, Hobart has an arborist) showed up. Joe gave my wife a price and when the arborist started giving my wife a hard time he dropped the price without my wife saying word because of the arborist. He was out the next day and the tree was gone.
    Well Joe was a no show and no call.

When I spoke with him on the phone I thought, ok, this seems somewhat promising. He needs a transmission rebuilt ( I called from work and when he called back knew it was a transmission shop). He was the one that brought it up. We talked about doing partial trade of services. Can't do that if you don't show or call and give me a damn estimate

Let down again. 0-4

I don't care if it's a small job. I've let all 4 companies know that upfront. If you don't want small jobs, say so! If you're to busy, ****ing say so! Sure as hell don't give me a day and timeframe, then not show or call.

When I say I'm going to give an estimate in my line of work, I give the damn estimate within the timeframe discussed.
    Not at least calling and saying "I can't make it, would this day work" is complete and utter ********!

I'll give him another 24 hours but then it's another bad review being handed out, not that it seems to matter

End Rant :xmad:

Doug28450

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Hobart

When I spoke with him on the phone I thought, ok, this seems somewhat promising. He needs a transmission rebuilt ( I called from work and when he called back knew it was a transmission shop). He was the one that brought it up. We talked about doing partial trade of services. Can't do that if you don't show or call and give me a damn estimate

Let down again. 0-4

I don't care if it's a small job. I've let all 4 companies know that upfront. If you don't want small jobs, say so! If you're to busy, ****ing say so! Sure as hell don't give me a day and timeframe, then not show or call.

When I say I'm going to give an estimate in my line of work, I give the damn estimate within the timeframe discussed.
    Not at least calling and saying "I can't make it, would this day work" is complete and utter ********!

I'll give him another 24 hours but then it's another bad review being handed out, not that it seems to matter

I'm disappointed as well. He did so well for us.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

Let down again. 0-4

If I ran my business that way, I wouldn't have been here for 35 years. We generally get quotes out same day or next day, or if the job's not right for us, a referral to who can do it.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    If I ran my business that way, I wouldn't have been here for 35 years. We generally get quotes out same day or next day, or if the job's not right for us, a referral to who can do it.

I hear ya.

Thats what ticks me off. Don't give me a timeframe and then nothing.

Thing is I want to get the job done. And if they can't do the actual job for 4-6 weeks that's actually a plus. You don't trim oaks till they go dormant. I just wanna know what it'll cost. And all 4 were told I'm a cash customer. Most places love that cause they can cook the books.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Anyone know any more diabetic NWI Ingo members (or friends/relatives of members) who need Humilog Insulin and are having a hard time paying for it/don't have insurance/need assistance for it?

I might be able to help. Please send me a PM.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I'll give my 2 bits. I doubt i will ever use another tree service other than Price Rite again because they simply do a job 300% than anyone else on the back side with clean up. Nobody compares that i've had experience with. As for the wait - yeah from what i hear they are all multiple months out. As for the no shows or no call backs, that is literally every trade unless you are offering a "good" job. No, i don't understand why they don't just say no, i'm not interested. Been f-ing around with a bathroom remodel for my father for a year or longer. Finally may have a guy, but still, the communication is garbage and there is no interest in urgency, or making and applying any sort of solid timeline.
    Back to the tree, a 40' boom lift would be a bout $500 a day rental...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'll give my 2 bits. I doubt i will ever use another tree service other than Price Rite again because they simply do a job 300% than anyone else on the back side with clean up. Nobody compares that i've had experience with. As for the wait - yeah from what i hear they are all multiple months out. As for the no shows or no call backs, that is literally every trade unless you are offering a "good" job. No, i don't understand why they don't just say no, i'm not interested. Been f-ing around with a bathroom remodel for my father for a year or longer. Finally may have a guy, but still, the communication is garbage and there is no interest in urgency, or making and applying any sort of solid timeline.
    Back to the tree, a 40' boom lift would be a bout $500 a day rental...
    Lack of comms is because the trades have MORE than enough work and for small jobs it's a meh for them. No amount of bad rep from you will hurt them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom