NWI INGO General Post Part 20 - Raccons 4 Life!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Ended up laying my bike down last night around 10pm on Melton Rd at the intersection after the south shore stop in Miller. Woman turned right in front of me on a green while I was doing 30 to 40. Must of laid it going around 20 to 30. Only had 50 to 75ft before impact. Got 3 stiches in my left leg, 5 in my rt index finger. Neck and left shoulder area are sore, and left inner thigh is sore. My left knee feels funny so got to call my doctor monday and see if I tore my meniscus or anything else.

Methodist hospital workers in Gary were very nice, even the Gary PD were nice. Lady got a ticket, and the cop who came to the ER an HR later gave me the paperwork and thanked me for my service. I returned the thanks.

Luckily I had bought a new helmet a month ago and was wearing a jacket and boots.
    Glad you weren't more seriously hurt.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Jumped out of planes close to 100 times, but I am afraid of motorcycles.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Ended up laying my bike down last night around 10pm on Melton Rd at the intersection after the south shore stop in Miller. Woman turned right in front of me on a green while I was doing 30 to 40. Must of laid it going around 20 to 30. Only had 50 to 75ft before impact. Got 3 stiches in my left leg, 5 in my rt index finger. Neck and left shoulder area are sore, and left inner thigh is sore. My left knee feels funny so got to call my doctor monday and see if I tore my meniscus or anything else.

Methodist hospital workers in Gary were very nice, even the Gary PD were nice. Lady got a ticket, and the cop who came to the ER an HR later gave me the paperwork and thanked me for my service. I returned the thanks.

Luckily I had bought a new helmet a month ago and was wearing a jacket and boots.
    Sorry to hear that but am glad to hear you got out of it without major injuries. How did your bike fare?

I only ever had a car turn in front of me once. In that particular situation, the circumstances allowed me to react in time. I never like seeing that turn signal on an oncoming vehicle as we begin to occupy the same intersection.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Im assuming the bike is totaled. Its at Republic Tow right now. Will call tomorrow to get my property from it and see the damage. The bystanders said it was leaking gas and from what I remember I saw the floorboard was ripped up.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Floating down in parachutes is not scary. Rushing to the ground at terminal velocity is scary.
    You are absolutely correct! I loved jumping. The exhilaration of the exit, the anticipation of the opening and the serenity of the descent were fabulous.

I took the chance of attaining terminal velocity around a hundred times in 8 years. Now I wish it had been more.
    Riding around on motorcycles is not scary. Cars with distracted drivers are scary.
    The breeze, freedom and personal enjoyment are probably great for those that ride.

In a car I notice the stupidity of other drivers daily. People that blatantly ignore stop signs (will stop at a yield sign and wait for a bicyclist that has a stop sign) make illegal turns, pass on the right breakdown/bike lane when I am doing 10 over the speed limit...

Motorcycle riders put themselves in jeopardy 150 -200 or more times a year.

A good friend had a son killed when a lady pulled out in front of him. (It was actually not her fault. She did see him, but had no idea that he was going 70 in a 35 MPH zone)

I have had 2 guys that I am conversant with here on INGO have people pull out in front of them recently.

Almost every week I see someone in shorts, t shirt and sneakers riding. Also people speeding way over the limit weaving in and out of traffic.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    ... Almost every week I see someone in shorts, t shirt and sneakers riding. Also people speeding way over the limit weaving in and out of traffic.
    We can choose to shoot without eye & ear protection
    We can choose to vote for the party that takes away our rights
    We can choose to eat margarine while bypassing healthier choices
    We can choose to . . .

Same with those who ride without helmets (85% of riders0 when that is the single most protective life saving device a rider can wear.

I'm not going to impose my choices on others. We can choose. We can choose to follow laws. We can choose to drive or ride in many crazy ways. If I was elected king of the world I would work very hard to leave people alone and not tell them how to live/act/ride. Darwin will separate us. Some will earn special recognitions by the Dawing award committee.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I agree

But you assume people are responsible.
    I assume that people are only out for themselves, wanting to maximize whatever gratifies them and care nothing for anyone else. Assumptions are dangerous, but this one has been pretty accurate in most of my dealings with people.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I assume that people are only out for themselves, wanting to maximize whatever gratifies them and care nothing for anyone else. Assumptions are dangerous, but this one has been pretty accurate in most of my dealings with people.

I hear what you're saying, but don't totally agree. MOST of my dealings with people are productive and/or enjoyable, like when you and I met. There are a few interactions, of course, that are not that. But I guess over the course of time, I've learned to avoid most of the negative peoples, or, I'm just lucky in that regard.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage

Jeez, today I was heading west on 6 approaching the intersection of 6 and Swanson in Portage. Elderly lad in front of me takes a left on Swanson just as soon as a guy on motorcycle is going through the intersection. How he did not get hit was a miracle. Hope you heal up quickly!

Yikes, glad to hear you are OK. Yesterday I was driving down 6 in Portage. There was an elderly lady in front of me who was turning left onto the same street as I. We had the green and were waiting for traffic. There is a dude on a motorcycle in the oncoming lane. I'm watching her saying to myself don't do it lady, don't do it lady. She turns right in front of the guy. He was not wearing a helmet, his eyes got as big as a kitchen plates. Good thing he had time to react and did not get hit.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    We can choose to shoot without eye & ear protection
    We can choose to vote for the party that takes away our rights
    We can choose to eat margarine while bypassing healthier choices
    We can choose to . . .

Same with those who ride without helmets (85% of riders0 when that is the single most protective life saving device a rider can wear.

I'm not going to impose my choices on others. We can choose. We can choose to follow laws. We can choose to drive or ride in many crazy ways. If I was elected king of the world I would work very hard to leave people alone and not tell them how to live/act/ride. Darwin will separate us. Some will earn special recognitions by the Dawing award committee.
    I am not telling anyone what to do.

That is not my point at all.

I also think it is stupid to jump from an airplane (in flight) without a parachute. To each his own.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Is this not your 2nd accident in recent years? Be safe...

Edit
    Never mind it was TV that we almost lost a while back.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom