NWI INGO General Post Part 19 - LegOs, Glocks and iPhones!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'm thinking about one of those.

But I also want to leave the mill.

So....
    Would be a good thing to use some of that OT for. You would probably need a smaller one that we did too. 15-30 sec outage is much better than hours. I've bought a number of small UPSs for things like my network gear to stop them from getting rebooted by that short outage. If I don't notice the noise of the generator, I might not even realize the power is out.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Would be a good thing to use some of that OT for. You would probably need a smaller one that we did too. 15-30 sec outage is much better than hours. I've bought a number of small UPSs for things like my network gear to stop them from getting rebooted by that short outage. If I don't notice the noise of the generator, I might not even realize the power is out.

The first time the power went out after installing the generator, it took 8 seconds for my lights to come back on. I know this because I was standing in the dark in my bathroom with my razor in hand, so I started counting.

Your post reminds me I need to hook up the UPS's to things like the cable/internet box and computers, etc... I've had the UPS's for a while, but forgot to plug them in. Doy! The cable and stuff takes a while to re-boot, and it's particularly disturbing when the power keeps flickering on and off. Definitely not good for computers.

Generators are expensive, but in my decision to get one, I kept reminding myself what I had to lose if my basement flooded while I was 1000 miles away. Not a pretty picture.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    What would be a fair market sell fast but make top dollar value on a plain jane glock 19 gen 3?

Trading for a g19 and if Im not happy the 2nd tine around might consider trading again see where it goes or sell.

Need a new car gun for when driving into IL. Currently using an H&R topbreak 32s&w I paid $50 a few years ago, but its too nice for its age to have to sit in a locker if I were ever need to use it especially in Riverdale.

Was thinking of keeping the LCR but might want to find a cheaper beater model 10, or a used sd40ve.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    This generator talk brings back memories. As a teenager growing up in northwest Ohio, I experienced the blizzard of '78 which knocked out our power for about 15 hours. The storm started out as heavy rain after midnight before the snow and wind hit and the power went out. About mid morning, our basement sump started to fill in earnest. My brothers and I carried buckets of water up the basement stairs and dumped them in the kitchen sink for what seemed like two hours. It wasn't that bad to do but we couldn't leave it either.

After that, my Dad bought a Craftsman portable generator and wired up a couple of circuits to feed our furnace and sump pump. He insisted on storing the generator in the basement. Once a month or so, he would make one of us help him carry that infernally heavy chunk of machinery up the basement steps and outdoors so he could run the motor. For the rest of the years I lived there, I honestly don't remember it ever being used for a real power outage.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Transformers can blow pretty hard. That's probably what it was.
    Had that happen a few times. This was probably 2-3 times as loud and no smoke plume which we normally see. Sounded like it blew right out the back door. It helps I know which direction our power comes from so I know where to look.

Probably a transformer but damnnnn!

No calls on the scanner too, which shocked me.

I've lit off quarter and half sticks of dynamite and this was way louder and could feel the concussion too while inside the house

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    b96389af9f59f19045ac8457a7f42c08.jpg

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Power back. All I seen them do was flip the fuse/breaker back on. There for maybe 5 minutes and gone.
    Almost had to be something a little further away because I've never heard one of their breakers pop like that before. I'd of sworn there'd be a pole exploded where a transformer was.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom