NWI INGO General Post Part 18 - Legal now!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    What are good/normal cleaning habits after discharging rounds? I’ve disassembled and cleaned my firearm after both range sessions. I’m sure it can’t hurt to be that meticulous, but I’d love more input.

How are you fellow gun owners handling your own personal ammo stock situation? What’s a good amount of training ammo to keep on reserve? The current ammo supply doesn’t make things any better right now and what I have gotten has been being at right place at the right time. This is a whole new world for me.
    I clean after I shoot.
    Some people do. Some don't.

Ammo.
    Always buy more than you shoot.
    Kinda hard to do that now. Ammo is scarce.
    Start to store it when times are good.
    Because something will happen, and there will be a run on ammo, like now.
    Act is right.

I am one that seldom cleans my guns. My 22s get more attention because they get really dirty and will stop functioning.

When it comes to ammo, once the panic subsides, buy and store. Then buy some more. Then buy some more. I got caught back after Sandy Hook. Now I have enough to get me through some tough times. I stick more to 22 shooting right now though, since I have a much larger stock of 22s than anything else.

B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    Act is right.

I am one that seldom cleans my guns. My 22s get more attention because they get really dirty and will stop functioning.

When it comes to ammo, once the panic subsides, buy and store. Then buy some more. Then buy some more. I got caught back after Sandy Hook. Now I have enough to get me through some tough times. I stick more to 22 shooting right now though, since I have a much larger stock of 22s than anything else.
    I'm in the same boat as these two, outside of my EDC and my 22s...not much gets cleaned. My precision rifles will get a swab down the barrel here and there, but outside of that I'll wipe the rest down when I'm board and hanging out in the gun room...

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I usually clean my guns after each use. Field stripping them is a good time to carefully inspect them, looking for wear, any problems, etc. The more familiar you are with your guns the more likely it is you'll notice something wrong when cleaning them.

B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    Hey all, going to be doing my monthly rounds to all the local shops. What are your recommendations for the area? I typically hit the big box stores for reloading supplies, but outside of the two normal stops in Valpo I'm not sure where I should venture. Any good shops in Michigan City/South Bend/Ft Wayne wherever?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Hey all, going to be doing my monthly rounds to all the local shops. What are your recommendations for the area? I typically hit the big box stores for reloading supplies, but outside of the two normal stops in Valpo I'm not sure where I should venture. Any good shops in Michigan City/South Bend/Ft Wayne wherever?
    Can try Kempfs in Michigan City

Lushamania

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    The Region
    I went to Bass Pro Shop in Portage this morning. I was, maybe, 12-14th in line, waiting for the store to open. When the doors opened there was a mad rush to the ammo aisle and it quickly got picked clean.

It was unfortunate, because everyone tried cramming into the aisle (COVID-19, hello?!). There were 2 employees and 2 shopping carts in the aisle, to make matters worse, and only a handful of people wound up walking away with handfuls off boxes of different caliber.

The trip was not in vain for me, as someone realized they grabbed one more box than the limit allowed and offered me it. $14.99 for 50 rounds of 9mm was the best price I've ever paid for ammo! (Ignore I've only been buying ammo since January 6.)

Truth be told, I'll happily pay the $10 surcharge I have been at Blythe's to not have to deal with that ever again. I've camped out for video game consoles for the past 2 decades and those always went smoother than this!

A ticket-based system, based off of each customer's request for what they are looking for, coupled with an understanding of what's in inventory would work out so much better. Shoot, even just gatekeeping the aisle!

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    guessing your two valpo stops are blythes and copper. there's a new guy just opened weds aaron at 219 armory, next to viking chili bowl. inventory is probably light but worth checking out. jerry's gun shop in renssalear is typically good on ammo, gauntlet in kouts, guntown on 30 a bit east of hanna, the further you get away from da region the batter inventory gets.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    guessing your two valpo stops are blythes and copper. there's a new guy just opened weds aaron at 219 armory, next to viking chili bowl. inventory is probably light but worth checking out. jerry's gun shop in renssalear is typically good on ammo, gauntlet in kouts, guntown on 30 a bit east of hanna, the further you get away from da region the batter inventory gets.
    I thought Gun Town closed.
    ZX Guns in Goshen and Ft. Wayne
    Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka

Lushamania

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    The Region
    I didn't quite realize 219 Armory also carries ammo. In my mind I saw them more as a gunsmith only.

I paid $25 for 50 9mm training rounds at Blythe's, $30 from Copper. It's the only caliber I own, so I can't speak on anything else, but that Copper price is a bit in the price-gouge area. I'm not so certain I'll ever go back.

Of the shops you've listed, can you say whether or not their prices are the same, better than, or less than my above example?

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I didn't quite realize 219 Armory also carries ammo. In my mind I saw them more as a gunsmith only.
    He does. Unfortunately, since his shop is new, he has to break into the supply chain with all the established shops. His inventory is very limited right now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom