d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Hobart seen a bit of action here lately. Furniture store went up in flames overnight

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I know this is not a gun forum but wondering about ultra-light bullets.

I'm so old that at one point I learned that low velocity (approx 850 feet per second) 230 grain FMJ 45acp was the ultimate self defense ammunition.

Now I'm seriously considering lightweight (50 to 75 grain) 9mm at 1600 to 2000 feet per second for self defense.

The advantages of the ultra-light + ultra velocity ammo are multiple but include very low recoil and seriously increased energy transfer as measured by foot pounds of energy (at short ranges).

Examples include but may not be limited to:
    Liberty Ammo 50 grain, 2040 fps, 462 ft lbs energy . . .

Advanced PDF 65 grain, 1695 fps, 416 ft lbs energy . . .

Cor-Bon's 90 grain, 1500 fps, 450 ft lbs energy . . .

NovX's 65 grain, 1730 fps, 432 ft lbs energy . . .

Cor-Bon is probably the closest thing to a 'name' brand in this group. The major name brands don't seem to offer this ultra-light stuff. Hornady has some 100 grain ammo, which they market to women as low recoil (they even donate a portion to Breast Cancer research) but I'm not sure it is as serious as some of the above brands. Hornady seems to focus on the reduced recoil and feminine marketing angle more than technology in their marketing.

I'm currently using Hornady 115 grain JHP and Winchester Ranger 147 grain JHP as my primary carry and home defense rounds in 9mm ammo. But it seems like, at least at short ranges, the ultra light ammo might have serious advantages in terms of low recoil and high energy transfer.

Compare the energy of any of the ultra light ammo to my Ranger's 147 grain JHP which has a velocity of 985 fps and energy transfer of 320 foot pounds. The energy transfer of the heavier ranger to the ultra light stuff is literally 100+ foot pounds/25+% less than the ultra light rounds. That is significant.

I've never tried any of these types of rounds. Clearly for self/home defense they must be 100% reliable. But assuming they are reliable in my guns, it seems like switching from heavier/slower to much lighter/faster is a wise choice.

Just using LIBERTY's claims as an example:
    • 32 to 38% less felt recoil
    • - 65 to 75% more velocity
    • - 25 to 30% more kinetic energy
    • - Reduced over-penetration
    • - More stopping power

Anyone try anything like these (in any caliber)?

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Paul Harell has made some YouTube videos on lightweight carry ammo. He has had good results with some and with others not so much. IIRC, he is not a big fan of them due to their inability to adequately peneternate a target.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Hobart seen a bit of action here lately. Furniture store went up in flames overnight

know the guy that manages the smoke shop (owned by the same guy that owns hobart auto sales) says both are heavily damaged too. smoke shop might be a loss, auto sales office is rebuildable

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Saw that as soon as I posted and was correcting while you were typing. Strange that the discount varies so much and odd that the $500 break is the best. If I was spending a grand I'd break it up into two $500 orders.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom