• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I didn't see a thread to discuss this growing sport. I did my first competition yesterday at the Antwerp Conservation Club in Ohio. It was a lot of fun and everyone seemed to really enjoy the event.

I'm using a CZ 457 Pro Varmint and Bushnell Match Pro starting off in Base Class. I finished 6th overall out of 15 competitors and 2nd out of 7 in base class.

Would love to hear from others who are competing about what they're running and discuss the sport in general.

20210521_221245.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This is a great thread. Love to hear about NRL22 matches and everything involved.

Contributors, please ad plenty of pics and vids.

Maybe this thread belongs in the Shooting Sports forum?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    This is a great thread. Love to hear about NRL22 matches and everything involved.

Contributors, please ad plenty of pics and vids.

Maybe this thread belongs in the Shooting Sports forum?
    I thought about putting it there, but it looked like all of the content there was about specific events on certain dates. I figured putting it here would get more traction and the discussion could be about all aspects, like rifles/gear and not just the event itself. And hopefully get more eyes opened to anyone who has been on the fence about it. Hope that makes sense.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    A couple of photos from 2019 to get things going.

NRL22 match at HHRP. Faces blurred to protect the innocent...

IMG_20191102_115033 copy (Medium).jpg

My rifle. Kidd barreled action in a Victor Titan stock with Vortex Diamondback 4-16x44 scope.

IMG_20200717_121252 pe cropped.jpg

I modified this cart anticipating walking to the line but we were able to park at the firing line. It has come in handy for steel matches.

IMG_20190627_182036  pe copy (Small).jpg

These matches make me think of an adult version of the plinking fun we had as kids.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Ahhhh the ladder. That was the first time I shot off a ladder and it was an eye opening experience. Very unstable and it was obvious I had no prior experience. Did not get a chance to get my shot off from the top rung before time expired.

I hope the neighbors don't think I'm crazy for dry fire practicing that drill in the back yard. I can see the phone call now to the local PD. "You're neighbor is doing what exactly with a ladder?"

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I didn't see a thread to discuss this growing sport. I did my first competition yesterday at the Antwerp Conservation Club in Ohio. It was a lot of fun and everyone seemed to really enjoy the event.

I'm using a CZ 457 Pro Varmint and Bushnell Match Pro starting off in Base Class. I finished 6th overall out of 15 competitors and 2nd out of 7 in base class.

Would love to hear from others who are competing about what they're running and discuss the sport in general.

View attachment 144594
    Sounds like you did pretty well. Is this the one you had the cold shot flyer problem with?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Some random thoughts about the event. There's probably more, but they'll come to me this week as my wanders effortlessly.

- Definitely needed elbow/knee pads
    - I found my binos of more use than ever before and ordered a plate system to mount it to my tripod. My binos are an old Japanese pair that don't have a tripod mounting screw location, so a universal strap system was ordered.
    - Noticed quite a few people using a range bag as weight from the center of the tripod, so I made a setup for mine this morning with some paracord, a carabiner and an extra bag I had laying around.
    - I had way too much crap that I dragged to the shooting area and will heavily consolidate or at least try to minimize the amount of bags.
    - My bipod skills were lacking, but I worked through them and appreciated the quick adjustments of the Magpul bipod I have on the rifle.
    - I wish I would have had my 200 yard dope figured out prior to the event (only had 50/100). There was a bonus stage at 174 yards that I had to guess my elevation on.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Sounds like you did pretty well. Is this the one you had the cold shot flyer problem with?
    Same rifle, different ammo. That issue was while using SK Rifle Match. But I figured out that first round flyer issue about a month ago. The springs in the 10rd mags were bound up, which required pretty forceful insertion of the last few rounds in each mag. That caused some kind of abnormality to the first rounds during live fire (maybe bullet tip deformation on the feed ramp?). I later took the mags apart and figured out the follower and spring need slid up inside the mag tube together, instead of the follower first and then the spring. I can't remember now for sure, but I think the springs were backwards also? Not 100% on that, memory is eluding me.

Once I did this, all 10 rounds easily loaded and I retested at the next range trip with zero issues.

20210510_170737.jpg

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    A couple of photos from 2019 to get things going.

I modified this cart anticipating walking to the line but we were able to park at the firing line. It has come in handy for steel matches.

View attachment 144665

These matches make me think of an adult version of the plinking fun we had as kids.
    I have one of these stollers in the shed from grandbaby days. Though about adding a couple ATV gun clamps to it and maybe a little forward shelf to end up like this:

1624244625120.png

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Ahhhh the ladder. That was the first time I shot off a ladder and it was an eye opening experience. Very unstable and it was obvious I had no prior experience. Did not get a chance to get my shot off from the top rung before time expired.

I hope the neighbors don't think I'm crazy for dry fire practicing that drill in the back yard. I can see the phone call now to the local PD. "You're neighbor is doing what exactly with a ladder?"

I suck from the ladder and tank trap.

At one time I practiced drying firing with a ladder, the 5 gal bucket and small bucket in my living room. One of the few benefits of not having anyone around to tell me no.

I got some military "surplus" knee and elbow pads on ebay that I really like. I don't think I wore them at a match due to winter clothing but I've worn the kneepads for work around the house and they are great.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Same rifle, different ammo. That issue was while using SK Rifle Match. But I figured out that first round flyer issue about a month ago. The springs in the 10rd mags were bound up, which required pretty forceful insertion of the last few rounds in each mag. That caused some kind of abnormality to the first rounds during live fire (maybe bullet tip deformation on the feed ramp?). I later took the mags apart and figured out the follower and spring need slid up inside the mag tube together, instead of the follower first and then the spring. I can't remember now for sure, but I think the springs were backwards also? Not 100% on that, memory is eluding me.

Once I did this, all 10 rounds easily loaded and I retested at the next range trip with zero issues.

View attachment 144702
    Excellent detective work. Happy to see it working well for you.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Placed an order for a pic rail section for the 457 to replace the sling stud setup and another Atlas bipod last night. Setting up my precision rifles so I can swap the two Atlas bipods in between them as needed. As much as I like the Magpul bipods, there's just no comparison to the Atlas.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    These were the 5 stages the other day. I liked the Know Your Limits stage the most and bought that KYL target setup the other day.

Screenshot 2021-06-22 092638.png

Screenshot 2021-06-22 092712.png

Screenshot 2021-06-22 092733.png

Screenshot 2021-06-22 092750.png

Screenshot 2021-06-22 092805.png

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Placed an order for a pic rail section for the 457 to replace the sling stud setup and another Atlas bipod last night. Setting up my precision rifles so I can swap the two Atlas bipods in between them as needed. As much as I like the Magpul bipods, there's just no comparison to the Atlas.

LOL...we finally brought you over to the dark side of the finer things.

Now get a proper sling to use in the standing, kneeing and sitting positions. It does make a difference.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    LOL...we finally brought you over to the dark side of the finer things.

Now get a proper sling to use in the standing, kneeing and sitting positions. It does make a difference.
    :thumbsup:

I saw that in your picture, but I didn't think I saw anyone the other day using a sling, but I could be mistaken, there was a lot of stuff going on. I should be able to get a sling setup going on it without too much effort.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Put a half turn in the sling and then put you arm thru and around it and it can provide decent support.

This is the method I refer to except he doesn't have the half turn/twist in the sling so it will tend to dig into his wrist.

They used to mention the sling in the course of fire but I don't find it now. The rules, specifically say a sling is allowed.

Last edited:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Put a half turn in the sling and then put you arm thru and around it and it can provide decent support.

This is the method I refer to except he doesn't have the half turn/twist in the sling so it will tend to dig into his wrist.

They used to mention the sling in the course of fire but I don't find it now. The rules, specifically say a sling is allowed.

Very familiar. Thanks to a Revere's Riders event a few years back at AAOptics compound.

I have another little project to work on now. Thanks? :)

Top Bottom