• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So.......
    What happens to all the "sellers" in our market place that require "drivers license and LTCH" to sell a gun...
    What will they do when they no longer have the unconstitutional LTCH to rely on?
    My goodness... what a conundrum...
    I can hear it now...
    "I want constitutional carry... but I want to see your ltch before I can sell you my "insert item here"."
    Just sayin...:scared:

The "sellers" (whatever is meant by that :scratch:) can still ask for LTCH. If the potential purchaser does not have a LTCH, that gives the seller the oportunity to have a little more dialog with the potential purchaser. Never hurts when taking an expensive item to meet someone you don't know? ;)

Sssssssshhhhhhhh!
    A fair percentage of the times that I ask the purchaser to bring DL and LTCH, I never do. I'm just looking to see if there is any contention with verifying proper person. :dunno:

Under MOST circumstances, post history and iTrader rating tell all the story you need to know on whether the person is proper or not.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The "sellers" (whatever is meant by that :scratch:) can still ask for LTCH. If the potential purchaser does not have a LTCH, that gives the seller the oportunity to have a little more dialog with the potential purchaser. Never hurts when taking an expensive item to meet someone you don't know? ;)

Sssssssshhhhhhhh!
    A fair percentage of the times that I ask the purchaser to bring DL and LTCH, I never do. I'm just looking to see if there is any contention with verifying proper person. :dunno:

Under MOST circumstances, post history and iTrader rating tell all the story you need to know on whether the person is proper or not.

This is basically how I feel. ^^^

My thought is that when constitutional carry passes... some people may choose to stop carrying there pink slip.
    My interactions with fellow members here have for the most part been positive. If I get a "bad feeling" about someone I choose not to do business with them even if I'm the buyer.
    To date... I've never asked a buyer for "Papers Please". I've always had my "papers" ready for a person selling who might request it. If it makes someone more comfortable than I'm good with that.
    So to my original question... wasn't trying to be snarky... just pondering a "what if" out loud.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I think it’s fair to say at this point, since the LTCH has been required for quite some time here in Indiana, that nearly anyone who comes to these classifieds looking for a legal buy will have their LTCH. I’d bet solid money that 95% of us do. It’s just plain smart, as a seller, to look at the DL and LTCH under these circumstances.

Colts Ironman

Sua Sponte, Rangers Lead the Way
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 22, 2021
    NW Indianapolis
    So.......
    What happens to all the "sellers" in our market place that require "drivers license and LTCH" to sell a gun...
    What will they do when they no longer have the unconstitutional LTCH to rely on?
    I can hear it now...
    "I want constitutional carry... but I want to see your ltch before I can sell you my "insert item here"."
    I was just logging on to bring up this question. I completed my entire application process Feb 2nd. After having to wait 6 months to get a fingerprint appointment downtown (Marion County) :tantrum::tantrum:

Here it is now just over a month later...7 months total and my status still says "pending ISP approval" Fortunately, I've met some outstanding individuals doing private deals and I can walk into a gun shop and walk out with a new gun in 5 minutes. I'm happy and confident no matter what this RINO governor does with HB1296, it's going to become law. Never thought I'd moved back to my home state from Virginia to have my 2nd Ammendment right restricted because the process stinks. Now I'm wondering if they are just saying "F the permits" at ISP and taking their time even more to process. I'm at the point to get my $12 refund for the INDENtoGo prints I paid for lol

It SHOULD NOT take this long to get a card in the mail!

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    So.......
    I can hear it now...
    I don’t sell firearms on the market place, but I would require a ltch, or a background check if I did. Selling to an improper person is a felony, and once it comes to that, you have to defend yourself in a court of law which is expensive, and if it hurts someones feelings, so be it.

Those that don’t require such, it is their decision to assume the risk of possibly having to spend a crap ton of money on an attorny.

Colts Ironman

Sua Sponte, Rangers Lead the Way
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 22, 2021
    NW Indianapolis
    I don’t sell firearms on the market place, but I would require a ltch, or a background check if I did. Selling to an improper person is a felony, and once it comes to that, you have to defend yourself in a court of law which is expensive, and if it hurts someones feelings, so be it.

Those that don’t require such, it is their decision to assume the risk of possibly having to spend a crap ton of money on an attorny.
    I moved here from Virginia. Prior to July 2021, private trades and sales were just like here. Only needed to be a Virginia resident and show ID. Such as a VA license. No background check needed. It's up to the parties involved at their choice. If you've been around long enough, you can weed out people just in simple conversation before doing a transaction. Obviously having a bill of sale done covers the buyer and seller but honestly a lot of guys in Virginia wouldn't do a bill of sale as they didn't want any paper trail. In my 25 years of trading and selling privately, there's never been an issue. I have had some friends have ATF knock on their doors because a firearm they purchased, then sold or traded ended up being used in a crime or stolen and used in a crime. The hard part is tracing the gun. The ATF usually just gave up once they figured out the gun had made its way to many hands. Many guns get traded/sold over and over again but it's only going to come back to the original buyer if they have no other evidence to link it to the crime. I could be wrong here but that seems logical.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Selling to an improper person is a felony...

IANAL. Hopefully a smarter legal mind than mine will come along with a site?

It is my understanding that the law reads "KNOWINGLY selling to an improper person." That is way different than this being somehow discovered after the fact.

Legally, it's not on the seller to background check or see anyone's papers. Nor is it the seller's duty to investigate whether any presented proper person verification documentation is legit.

All that said, none of us want to sell to someone who shouldn't legally be armed. So most of us err on the cautious side and ask for DL/LTCH, (whether we even look at them or not.)

That's why I stick to the INGO classifieds for trading. I can verify from post history and past trades reported, the same as the other member can (and should) with me.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    It’s not worth the risk.

You will have to prove you did it unknowingly.

See how screwed up that is? But thats the state of gun ownership now.

Guilty until proven innocent.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    I am here to teach you, to guide you.

You will gain enlightenment of history, politics, languages and . . . why Colt AR-15s are the best thing on Earth.

View attachment 187299
    Some of these young fellers need the firm guiding hand of an older, more experienced man.

Ya'll got all this insight from the liner notes in a Led Zeppelin album?

Huh..............who'd a thunk it!

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Nice bonus quote from the most demanding of mommys:

"Police weighing in against permitless carry matters," Shannon Watts, founder of Everytown subsidiary Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense, told ABC News. "But I guess the question is at end of the day, those Republicans who are worried about being primaried, are they going to put public safety over their hopes for the primary election?"

The real question is “Will public officials hold the completely unsubstantiated concerns of appointed law enforcement officials over the Constitutionally-affirmed natural rights of their constituents?”.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Kind of rhetorical, do any of the media use statistics from a source not paid for by Bloomberg/Giffords?

Not to mention those stats are of criminal use of guns. Considering those legally own guns are less inclined to commit crimes than law enforcement, I'm pretty sure legal gun owners make up very little of those statistics, if any.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's why I stick to the INGO classifieds for trading. I can verify from post history and past trades reported, the same as the other member can (and should) with me.

This is why we have the 50 quality post rule and we monitor the classies to the very best of our ability's.
    If I want to make a deal with another member and you cannot Vett me as a proper person from activity on this forum then they are not an active member.
    I may be a bit of a butt head (:dunno:) but I am not providing much of anything during a private sale. Never have and have no intention to change. If I don't buy yours I will most likely find another in short order. I have always skipped past the ads with these requirements.

No knock fellas as you do as you need to and feel safe. No worries.

Top Bottom