• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Maybe it’s time for them to reveal their sources if they want to affirm their credibility.
    Agreed!

Did the NPR reporter flat out make up the story, thinking the Court wouldn’t bother responding? If so, does NPR know that and is covering for her, or did she lie to them about “sources?”

Or, was the reporter told something “off the record?” As in, “if you print it, I’ll deny it.”

Were the sources lying? Telling stories out of school?

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Maybe it’s time for them to reveal their sources if they want to affirm their credibility.

What if you have an ethical concern with burning your source? I'd rather you doubt me then I get somebody who trusted me fired, and if you burn one source you will have zero sources pretty soon.

Sometimes you know things you can't say how you know. Sometimes due to ethics, sometimes due to a signed NDA, etc. Maybe this is one, maybe it isn't, but I bet you the number of minds actually changed by a source being names approaches zero. It just changes who is accused of lying.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Back in the day in our journalism class, an error in fact was an automatic F.
    But no one gets and F any more, or gets fired.
    So my alternative is an error in fact removes them from my source list.
    The list is getting very short...
    Facts no longer have meaning to the vast majority of the scumbag news media these days.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Idea number 732 on how to curb spending of taxpayers' money:

Kill .gov funding of NPR
    FYI, NPR does not appear to get any direct Federal funding. ~ 2% comes from competitive grants from Federal agencies.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    So if at the end of the day we find that somebody at NPR made up the story out of whole cloth, what happens? I've seen so many of these things from road flares in gas tanks to Dan Rather morphing into Nixon, it just never ends these days. You expect stories to be embellished, that's why they hire writers and not fact checkers. News and Hollywood are the same thing, like UBS from Network.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    FYI, NPR does not appear to get any direct Federal funding. ~ 2% comes from competitive grants from Federal agencies.
    The Indy public broadcasting station disagrees. Also, most of us are talking about the entire public broadcasting not just a little slice you may be referring to. Those grants come from CPB.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    The Indy public broadcasting station disagrees. Also, most of us are talking about the entire public broadcasting not just a little slice you may be referring to. Those grants come from CPB.

CPB is not NPR. THe original comment was about NPR funding. You are starting to sound like Kut with changing the goal posts.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville

From 2010, but explains how the taxpayer funding is hidden in the numbers.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Back in the day in our journalism class, an error in fact was an automatic F.
    But no one gets an F any more, or gets fired.
    So my alternative is an error in fact removes them from my source list.
    The list is getting very short...

24 hour news cycle killed that notion. Being first is more valuable than being right. That's how you get the Sum Ting Wong incidents, but I see it all the time at the local level. I used to see news stories about a case I was working and the 'facts' were so wrong I didn't recgonize it as my case until I saw the victim's name.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I used to listen to NPR fairly often. I didn't pretend they didn't have their own biases, but for about 80% of it I could tolerate it or enjoy it for what it was and it's not a bad thing to hear opinions you disagree with. They've been sliding further and further, though, and the only thing I have 'consumed' from them for many years is America's Test Kitchen via YouTube. So far they haven't politicized the best way to get a good crust on your bread or which blenders are worth the price. So far.

I miss Car Talk.
    They play a boatload of colonialist, cisgendered, white supremacist music, AKA classical. However, I have noticed that their playlist is somewhat repetitive, with more and more ‘world music’ featured.
    I expect a major shift in their music programming in the next 10 years as the liberal boomer university faculty take their dirt naps.
    Policy wise, I think the W administration brought out their inner Goebbels as they were continually prattling on about WMDs and Dick Cheney. Even though W was actually one of them.

Top Bottom