• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well we got LTCH free carry... so whats left to repeal in Indiana?

There are a couple dumb things left..

We still have.
    IC 35-47-5-12 "Chinese throwing star"

I mean yeah this has long considered a freaking joke.. but, maybe next session we can get it repealed.

Anything else left in the Indiana code that is onerous to 2A rights?

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    My opinion - automated expungement of non-violet felonies by minors within a 5 (fine, 7) year period is way more important than Chinese throwing stars.

Separating out state laws from federal ones. Why make it a state offense to violate a federal gun law? Got an SBR? Why should Indiana care?

I like @KellyinAvon 's thinking in
    Tax credit for firearms training/storage devices? Eliminating unarmed victim zones, tightening up the Laird Law, making Liz Brown Carter unemployed?
    BTW, FIFY.

I'm making a list of laws/policies I don't understand. Once I get them sorted a little, I may ask questions on it at some point.

BTW, there's a sticky for this:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    That would be Federal laws. I am trying to think of anything left in the state code besides the Throwing Stars and Ballistic Knives..

Right, but this would be 2023.. okay maybe a bit early for that lol

But it is now officially too late to do any more legislating for 2022 in Indiana

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    That would be Federal laws. I am trying to think of anything left in the state code besides the Throwing Stars and Ballistic Knives..
    No, no. In the Indiana code, it makes reference to breaking federal law. That is, if you break fed law, you are also breaking state law.

For instance, in 1296 it states "(B) the person has been issued an unlimited handgun license to carry a handgun under IC 35-47-2; is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm under state or federal law;"
    which is read as
    "(B) the person is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm under state or federal law;"

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ohh right good idea, that crap has to go.
    No, no. In the Indiana code, it makes reference to breaking federal law. That is, if you break fed law, you are also breaking state law.

For instance, in 1296 it states "(B) the person has been issued an unlimited handgun license to carry a handgun under IC 35-47-2; is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm under state or federal law;"
    which is read as
    "(B) the person is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm under state or federal law;"

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    BTW, there's a sticky for this:

Can we get this sticky renamed to be 2023 Legislative Session Wish List?

Anything in the thread that did not get passed in 2022 just transfers over.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I don’t know about y’all, but getting CC passed is HUGE. All of the other ideas posted here and in the other thread(s) are good ones but they seem…sort of piddly compared to what we just accomplished.
    VICTORY LAP! VICTORY LAP!! WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Random_71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    I don’t know about y’all, but getting CC passed is HUGE. All of the other ideas posted here and in the other thread(s) are good ones but they seem…sort of piddly compared to what we just accomplished.
    I can see where anything else would, but at the same time if we dont keep rolling forward we lose momentum. So at that point there are several options available be they, the small little knife items or pushing for the state to decouple from the Fed on part (or all) of the NFA or other infringements.
    No matter where we choose to do it, with the opposition we face, not moving forward is little different than a step backwards.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    VICTORY LAP! VICTORY LAP!! WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Victory lap? How about victory laplaplaplap?!?!?!

GrotesqueUnevenBluefintuna-small.gif

rebase

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 25, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Ideas:

- Employers can't restrict employees from carrying
    - Carry on state funded colleges as @Mr. Habib suggested
    - Sheriff has discretion to deputize individuals as "school safety officers" to pave way to carry in schools. (Could be board members, teachers, administration, for primary/secondary school, everything + students for state colleges) Possible training requirements, etc. This could be a work around for arming teachers.
    - Concealed carry allowed in certain sensitive areas: police stations, state fair. Or lower penalty into just a misdemeanor.
    - Remove penalty for carrying on prohibited locations. Increase penalty for trespassing if asked to leave. (Disallow carry at state fair, but codify not getting arrested if discovered - you are just asked to leave.)
    - Some items of questionable status upon judicial review:
    --- 2nd amendment sanctuary
    --- State law enforcement prohibited from enforcing federal law
    --- All NFA items can be manufactured inside IN (pave way for legal challenges to commerce clause/NFA as a whole)

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Well we got LTCH free carry... so whats left to repeal in Indiana?

There are a couple dumb things left..

We still have.
    IC 35-47-5-12 "Chinese throwing star"

I mean yeah this has long considered a freaking joke.. but, maybe next session we can get it repealed.

Anything else left in the Indiana code that is onerous to 2A rights?
    Not really something to repeal, but I've been thinking having mandatory firearms/gun safety and training in schools would be good.

A plus on that would be watching ISTA and Mom's Demand collective head exploding!

rebase

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 25, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Using the government to force a third party to accommodate your desire to have a firearm on their property is no better than that person using the government to prevent you from having one on your property.
    fair enough. That is a really good point. Bill of rights is citizens rights against government, etc.

That leads me to ... Wonder if the state legislature could set policy for its state employees and also contractors to allow carrying?

Top Bottom