Not another "Computer Help" thread by RM.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Oh yeah folks...here it is, AGAIN. I am not sure I'll ever catch on to all this crap.
    Here is my NEW issue....

So, we (meaning my husband), gave his friend our computer to wipe clean and re-install the OS. We get the computer back, and though everything is cleaned off and the new system is on it we (meaning I) are/am having a few issues.

For one...my soundcard no longer works. I get nothing and it's driving me CRAZY. It worked fine before it was fixed!

Two...It's not recognizing random things (Mp3 player/External Hard drive). This is my main concern (though the sound is a concern as well!)

Why would this be? And how do I fix it?

:popcorn:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    You will need to find drivers for various devices, audio card included.
    Usually you can do a search for "audio driver" and your computer model #. This should get you to a download of the software that will make your sound work.
    And when you do get the software burn it off onto a CD, label it and set it aside, there might well be a next time.
    As for the various devices I would start by searching them the same way. "Driver download and name of device."

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Just need to install the drivers for the devices that are no longer recognized.

If your husband's buddy didn't know about them, chances are they just got overlooked.

Just visit the websites for the manufacturers of the devices that aren't working, go to downloads area, find the drivers for your model of devices and download/install.

Easy as pie.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Ok...so, I have a download going now for the hard drive. Fingers crossed.
    But the sound card one still has me a bit stumped. Hell, I don't know what the model # to this computer is. I don't even know the name brand (I swear it doesn't say it anywhere on the computer). So how would I find this out?

I'm sorry I'm asking these stupid questions. lol. Thanks though, for taking the time to help. With out INGO folk, I'd have thrown this pc out LONG ago. lol

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    But the sound card one still has me a bit stumped. Hell, I don't know what the model # to this computer is. I don't even know the name brand (I swear it doesn't say it anywhere on the computer). So how would I find this out?

I'm sorry I'm asking these stupid questions. lol. Thanks though, for taking the time to help. With out INGO folk, I'd have thrown this pc out LONG ago. lol

I've been building computers for myself and others since 1994, trust me, the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask and wind up frying something because you didn't ask.... :D

Is the sound card built into the motherboard or is it an expansion card? (Easiest way to tell 99% of the time is are the sound connections up near the top where the keyboard / mouse plugs in or are then near the bottom rear in one of the horizontal knock out strip areas?

If it's on your motherboard, I'd just open up the side of the PC and get the model of the motherboard (it will be printed on the MB), if it's an expansion card, just look at the card, 90% of cards have their manufacturer and model printed on them.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le

I've been building computers for myself and others since 1994, trust me, the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask and wind up frying something because you didn't ask.... :D

Is the sound card built into the motherboard or is it an expansion card? (Easiest way to tell 99% of the time is are the sound connections up near the top where the keyboard / mouse plugs in or are they near the bottom rear in one of the horizontal knock out strip areas?

If it's on your motherboard, I'd just open up the side of the PC and get the model of the motherboard (it will be printed on the MB), if it's an expansion card, just look at the card, 90% of cards have their manufacturer and model printed on them.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I pulled the tower out a little bit and ducked under the top of the desk, over the keyboard when all of a sudden...Beep,beep,beep,beep,beep. Apparently, some body part(no clue which) unplugged the Internet connection which then lead to my upload being cancelled. lmao. Yep. What I DO know is that the sound thingy is on the motherboard. What card am I supposed to look at? Oh boy.
    sigh
    That beeping scared the sh...oes right off me. I was SURE I screwed something all kids of ways.

Breathe. whew.

Ok...back to downloading the hard drive thingy. This is going to be a process. lol

Last edited:

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    And did I mention that when the beeping started I hit my head on the top of the desk and my water fell on the ground? NO? How I could I forget such a thing? lmao

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    This is stupid. I hate computers. I can't see the motherboard. I can't get the other side of the computer off. ugh. I hate computers.

I downloaded it, installed it etc etc. Still, nothing.
    I quit.

Thanks for the replies and such though...but in all honesty, this thing is going to get me so mad that I chuck it (or my husband) out the flipping window.

ETA....it's not the computer I hate...It's Windows 7, I hate. THAT is the issue. The driver I downloaded isn't compatible with W7. There isn't onw that is, it seems.

Last edited:

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Let's see if I can help.

Do you know the manufacturer of your computer? Usually with that and the serial number, you can find what you need. If it's a Dell, you can use the serial number on their site to find drivers and original config.

If you can't tell the manufacturer, it may be a home-grown variety. In this case, it gets a little harder.

If I built it, you would have gotten the box the motherbard came in with everything extra and all the disks for every component. I'm guessing this isn't the case. So, you have to open up the tower, and figure out what kind and model of motherboard. It's usually scrawled on the motherboard somewhere.

Armed with that information, you can find the right site to again go download whatever you need.

Backing up a couple steps - if you click on the round windows icon on the taskbar (where the start button used to be), right click on Computer, and choose properties - then from there click on Device Manager - do you see anything listed with any kind of warning or error icons (yellow exclamations or red something or other)? I would expect this if you need different drivers for anything in your system.

Are your speakers plugged into the green plugin?

With the fact that USB devices don't recognize, it sounds like you just need all the drivers for the motherboard. I'm a little surprised though, because Win 7 does a good job of having default drivers unless your stuf PC is really new. But if it's running, your hard drive is working, so not sure why you are downloading drivers for that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

As you can tell, this isn't a simple thing. But if you keep doing it, it starts to make some sense!

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    With every new MS OS, there is typically a compatibility document, if not a separate application, that will detail what parts of your hardware will and will not work with the "upgraded" OS.

Google Windows 7 compatibility.

Who made the PC? I'm guessing it is not a home built?

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I'll look more at this in the morning (Going to bed). But it is a home built computer. It was my father in laws, who passed away.
    Anyways...goodnight. Thanks to everyone. I'll try again in the AM.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Windows 7 does an excellent job of finding drivers FOR YOU via Windows update. Try going to your little start bubble, then All Programs then find "Windows Update" and open it. From there, click "Check for updates" even if there are already some showing up. Do this while your other devices are plugged in as well. If Windows is able to find drivers for them, they usually show up under Optional Updates. Go through the list that comes up and check anything hardware related. You might find your MP3 player / hard drive / Sound card drivers show up. Then after you've checked all of them, hit install!

Good luck!

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    c-media ac97 audio device has a yellow ! by it. When I try to "Update drivers" It says it can not find a better one than the one it has.

Here is another issue...though it is windows 7...not everything looks like windows 7 on my desktop. The start bubble is not a bubble...it is in fact the regular start button it has always been.

If I can't figure this out, I'm just going to have to take it in. I'll just wait for my laptop to come back from repair first.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    c-media ac97 audio device has a yellow ! by it. When I try to "Update drivers" It says it can not find a better one than the one it has.

Here is another issue...though it is windows 7...not everything looks like windows 7 on my desktop. The start bubble is not a bubble...it is in fact the regular start button it has always been.

If I can't figure this out, I'm just going to have to take it in. I'll just wait for my laptop to come back from repair first.

C-Media AC97 Audio Device - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com Try this driver! What you'll do is, download that file (by using SAVE), browse to the file and unzip it (right click and hit extract all), then go back to where you saw the yellow arrow, and hit update drivers, and then click the option that lets you choose where the drivers are, and then browse to where you unzipped the downloaded file and it should pick the driver from that folder.

Sounds like whoever set up your computer turned of Aero and set it back to "classic" windows for the start menu. I realize not everyone liked the Vista bar but in Windows 7 I feel like it's a giant improvement!

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    C-Media AC97 Audio Device - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com Try this driver! What you'll do is, download that file (by using SAVE), browse to the file and unzip it (right click and hit extract all), then go back to where you saw the yellow arrow, and hit update drivers, and then click the option that lets you choose where the drivers are, and then browse to where you unzipped the downloaded file and it should pick the driver from that folder.

Sounds like whoever set up your computer turned of Aero and set it back to "classic" windows for the start menu. I realize not everyone liked the Vista bar but in Windows 7 I feel like it's a giant improvement!

Did this. Still nothing. I'm pretty sure my PC hates me. Thanks though~

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    ITS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU GUYS ROCK. I'm SO happy! oh gosh.

Now...onto my Maxtor 4 issue. It's a 500gb hard drive. I can not find anyway to hook it up with W7. Anyone?

I feel like screaming (a good scream).

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    ITS WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU GUYS ROCK. I'm SO happy! oh gosh.

Now...onto my Maxtor 4 issue. It's a 500gb hard drive. I can not find anyway to hook it up with W7. Anyone?

I feel like screaming (a good scream).
    If you need drivers or other support for your Maxtor HD check out this site. :)
    Maxtor OneTouch 4 Family Software Downloads | Seagate

Also remember that Win 7 has a much better User interface than older Operating Systems.
    I've had every Windows Operating system since Windows 3.0,, and Win 7 is by far the most user friendly so don't look for complicated solutions to your issues. I have Win 7 on all three of my computers and I've had zero issues with it yet. ;)
    Mike

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I've been on that site, downloaded...and still it is not recognizing my HD. It doesn't have a DL for Windows 7. At least that is what I'm gathering....

Supported Operating Systems: Windows Vista Home Basic, Vista Home Premium, Vista Business, Vista Ultimate, Windows XP Home, XP Professional, XP Media Center Edition, Mac OS X (10.4.7 – 10.5.x)

I'm just praying the HD isn't screwed up. THAT is my main concern. But I can't tell if it isn't recognizing the HD to start with. I need back ups of my back ups.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I've been on that site, downloaded...and still it is not recognizing my HD. It doesn't have a DL for Windows 7. At least that is what I'm gathering....

Supported Operating Systems: Windows Vista Home Basic, Vista Home Premium, Vista Business, Vista Ultimate, Windows XP Home, XP Professional, XP Media Center Edition, Mac OS X (10.4.7 – 10.5.x)

I'm just praying the HD isn't screwed up. THAT is my main concern. But I can't tell if it isn't recognizing the HD to start with. I need back ups of my back ups.
    If it recognizes the HD right click on the icon, (not a shortcut icon) and click on
    "Troubleshoot Compatibility"
    Then use the recommended settings. If the HD ran on Vista it should run on Win 7 also. :)
    I have several older Maxtor external HD's that needed to run in VISTA, or XP compatibilityy mode. The nice thing about Win 7 is that it figures out which settings are best and applies them.
    Mike

Top Bottom