0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    camby
    folks,
    i am planning on an upgraded illuminator, scope choices are
    Sightmark wraith 4k
    or
    ATN thor 4k
    seems to me the ATN tube seems to have a weak spot at the front where the bell meets the main tube
    now as this will be used up to 300-400 yards with a sniper hog light IR ILLUMINATOR
    Pros vs Cons
    real world durability and battery life?

DolomiteDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2022
    Carmel
    First, what's your budget?

Second, avoid ATN at all costs. They are great at only one thing - advertising. Everything else sucks.
    Do you have any additional info about what makes ATN suck? As you said they are good at advertising, I see there stuff all over the place. What brands do you recommend?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    They have an awesome marketing department which is why you see their stuff everywhere. I've spent some time behind one and I wasn't impressed with the picture. There are plenty of reviews out there and most reputable night vision/thermal dealers won't carry their products due to issues with their products and horrible customer service. Also, they were caught selling their products to Russia.

As for recommendations, it depends on your budget. First, I don't recommend digital night vision unless someone is dead set on it. I have a Pulsar Digisight and it doesn't even come close to a thermal scope. It collects dust in my closet. If someone is insistent on digital night vision, then I recommend the sightmark. As for thermal, I recommend Bering Optics.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I run a ATN 4k Pro on my Grendel. I can honestly say that the scope takes a lot of time behind to get used to and to like, but the night vision along with the ABL 1000 range finder and the built in ballistics calculator is awesome once you have everything saved into your profile.

Don't expect the ATN to be something you throw on and get down right away. It is nothing like a regular scope, but it is an awesome product. Take the time to play around with it. The only cons I've come across are the mounts and the customer service. The scope ring screws will strip after 10 in lbs of torque and that is no different on their $100 QD mount, and if you tell them you stripped it going past that, they don't refund you (ask me how I know) lol.

The Thor is thermal imaging and I've heard great things and I've heard horror stories of it freezing up. I have no personal experience with the Thor, but the Pro 4k also has night vision built in and I can clearly see out to 150 yards with the ATN IR850 Long Range Illuminator.

If you go with the ATN, you'll need an SD card and a charger that isn't a fast charger. You'll also need to be prepared to be frustrated for the first 5 times or so that you use it. Read the manual if you decide to go that route.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I've got a Wraith so I'll give my zwei pfennings on it. Bought it going in I knew that it has serious limitations, with advice from Rookie, due to limited funds available. Inside of 200 yards and in open woods to clear terrain it works fine. If its brushy or snowing, forget it, too much glare from the illuminator to make it useful. That's not a knock on the Wraith, it is a common fault with any sight that uses IR illumination. I use Energizer lithium batteries in mine and get about 4-6 hours of use out of a set, depending on temp. As far as durability, can't say as I have babied it. That said, it has held zero well. While it works reasonably well, I'm definitely going thermal soon.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Well, if you know anyone in Afghanistan, Let's Go Brandon gave the Taliban over 16,000 pairs of PVS 14 Gen 3+ to them free of charge!!!! I'm sure they'd be willing to trade for something at a good deal for you!!!!

O Kelps

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2022
    Nashville, IN
    I have used a Sightmark Wraith with Sniper Hog IR for coyote hunting. The battery life in colder weather leaves a lot to be desired. It takes AA's if memory serves and those lasted one or two stands. I added a battery pack and had no issues hunting all night with it but it does add weight if that's a concern. The Sniper Hog IR adds plenty of weight on its own. In open field it's good to see at 300-400 yards but I personally wasn't comfortable at those ranges shooting with what I was seeing and the rifle it was on. If you have any brush or cover, the IR will white out on it. I've upgraded to thermal and I can't see myself going back. Depending on your budget, thermal is the better option. My hunting partner was using thermal and could see and shoot predators long before I could see them so I constantly felt like I was behind the 8 ball. The only thing I was good for was the occasional ID if he was unsure if it was a coyote or a dog.

Top Bottom