• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I worked for Eckrich Meats between HS and college. I saw the beef hot dogs being made. Nothing but great looking meat, spices etc. It was processed (chopped/ground/mixed/etc) into a slurry and pumped into casings... smoked... cooked... cooled... stripped of the casing... and packaged. Grabbing one as soon as the casing was removed got you a wonderful snack. cannot vouch for other brands or other recipes.
    That's how a hot dog or bologna or mortadella is made, not "roast beef".

And my friend at Oscar Meyer was commenting on the rodent dropping more than anything.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    That's how a hot dog or bologna or mortadella is made, not "roast beef".

And my friend at Oscar Meyer was commenting on the rodent dropping more than anything.
    Not trying to call you out or discredit you. Just saying some hot dogs can be eaten. The plant itself was also clean... and I never saw a rat or mouse. Not appetizing but is there not some maximum "ALLOWABLE" pieces, parts, etc of such things as rodent hair and insect parts allowed in packaged foods? ...Or was that something the old-timers there told me to see if they could get a reaction?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Not trying to call you out or discredit you. Just saying some hot dogs can be eaten. The plant itself was also clean... and I never saw a rat or mouse. Not appetizing but is there not some maximum "ALLOWABLE" pieces, parts, etc of such things as rodent hair and insect parts allowed in packaged foods? ...Or was that something the old-timers there told me to see if they could get a reaction?
    Seems pretty simple to me. Keeping a meat packing plant rodent and insect-free today is very doable. Now try it with the technology prevalent during the Harding administration.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not appetizing but is there not some maximum "ALLOWABLE" pieces, parts, etc of such things as rodent hair and insect parts allowed in packaged foods? ...Or was that something the old-timers there told me to see if they could get a reaction?
    That's what I'd always heard too.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Who the hell gets tuna at Subway.
    Who the hell gets Subway.

:puke:
    ^^^^^
    THIS!

I have not eaten at Subway in forever. You're basically getting a veggie sammich because of the little amount of meat they put on it.

FireHouse and Penn Station get my money with a occasional Quizno's.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    ^^^^^
    THIS!

I have not eaten at Subway in forever. You're basically getting a veggie sammich because of the little amount of meat they put on it.

FireHouse and Penn Station get my money with a occasional Quizno's.
    I haven't tried Firehouse or Quizno's, but I do like Penn Station. I'm not a fan of cold subs anyhow.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    This reminds me of another story I heard a couple years ago. In France, food is highly regulated. Subways bread had to be labeled as confectionery because of the sugar content.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I haven't tried Firehouse or Quizno's, but I do like Penn Station. I'm not a fan of cold subs anyhow.
    Oh, you have to!!! Especially Firehouse.

Quizno's I get the Honey Bacon Club, with Honey-Mustard instead of Honey_French with no tomatoes or Onions.
    They run it through a conveyor toaster oven.

Firehouse I get the Club on a Sub with no mayo, tomato or onions. The taste explosion here is the Virginia honey ham.
    No oven here, they steam the meat which is what I think sets them apart.

Jimmy John's, Blimpie, Subway and the others do not hold a candle to either of them.
    Also, I have never felt the need to add meat to the sub to make it filling.

Of course the big plus to Penn Station is the fries, who can resist fresh cut deep fried French fries like they are supposed to be.

Cork74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    Griffith
    In reference to the Tuna post that began with post by DoggyDaddy , my favorite Subway sandwich was a Tuna sub.
    That is until the last time I ordered one (~ 5 yrs. ago). I became ill with gastro-intestinal symptoms . I swore off buying from Subway since that time.
    Looked , smelled and tasted like Tuna-maybe it was---maybe it was not.
    Regardless , Have not purchased from Subway since .

Top Bottom