• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I'm beginning to think that on a whole lot a issues libertarians are only a hairs breadth away from liberalism.

Liberalism (from the Latin liberalis, "of freedom"[1]) is the belief in the importance of liberty and equality.[2][3] Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but most liberals support such fundamental ideas as constitutions, liberal democracy, free and fair elections, human rights, capitalism, free trade, and the separation of church and state.
    Liberalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Platform | Libertarian Party

Liberty, equality, capitalism, personal freedoms as an overarching principle... they seem pretty well in line, though not exact.

What's the opposite of Liberalism? Is it Fascism?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I'm beginning to think that on a whole lot a issues libertarians are only a hairs breadth away from liberalism.

On some issues, yes. However, the current Liberal aka Progressive Democrat, promotes open borders in order to expand social programs and government, while a current Libertarian seeks to limit the powers of the Federal government to those only enumerated in the constitution. If that means open borders, then so be it. However, I do not believe that to be a mainstream Libertarian view. I could be wrong though....

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    On some issues, yes. However, the current Liberal aka Progressive Democrat, promotes open borders in order to expand social programs and government, while a current Libertarian seeks to limit the powers of the Federal government to those only enumerated in the constitution. If that means open borders, then so be it. However, I do not believe that to be a mainstream Libertarian view. I could be wrong though....

And open borders under a libertarian view would be very different than open borders under a progressive or labour view because a welfare state would not exist. A true level playing field.

Top Bottom