• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    I work in Illinois and live in Indiana. I live 7 houses from the state line. I decided to try to get a foid card so I can legally carry in Illinois as I work in a really, really bad neighborhood. I am finding out that Illinois does not have a way for a non resident of the state to legally carry. I thought the second amendment was a nationally relevant document. It seems that other states do this as well. How is this legal? I thought I had a RIGHT to carry in this entire country. I can stomach having to jump through ridiculous hoops, and having absurd limitations to what I can carry. I cannot swallow not being able to exercise my right under any circumstances. I feel like there is an opportunity for a class action lawsuit or something similar here.

End Rant.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It’s allowed to persist because enough voters in Illinois demand it. And they hire people with the authority and willingness to arrest you and put you in jail for violating their laws.

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    A gone for a few years buddy farmed n owned land on the border in Benton county next to I believe Iroquois county Ill. We hunted pheasants along his fence line it bordered the RR along Ill St. Rd. 1. We just hunted along both sides and if we saw a car or truck approaching we just stepped over the fence. Never had any problems but that is a rare situation I know. But still today 30 years later still some of the best pheasant hunting in the state.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Too lazy to look it all up now to provide cites but... The IL supreme court has stated that for a non resident who holds a LTCH or other state issued carry license or permit to buy/own firearms is the same as a IL res having a FOID. You can also carry a handgun in your vehicle if you are legally allowed to carry in your home state. You cannot take it out of the vehicle with it except to put it in the trunk if parking/leaving the vehicle. If you leave your vehicle it must remain in the vehicle out of sight and either the vehicle locked or in a locked container.

Also be aware of any local restrictions such as magazine capacity and such.

Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    Too lazy to look it all up now to provide cites but... The IL supreme court has stated that for a non resident who holds a LTCH or other state issued carry license or permit to buy/own firearms is the same as a IL res having a FOID. You can also carry a handgun in your vehicle if you are legally allowed to carry in your home state. You cannot take it out of the vehicle with it except to put it in the trunk if parking/leaving the vehicle. If you leave your vehicle it must remain in the vehicle out of sight and either the vehicle locked or in a locked container.

Also be aware of any local restrictions such as magazine capacity and such.
    Not 100% sure, but as I understand it, I cannot carry in Illinois. I can car carry, but that is it.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Not 100% sure, but as I understand it, I cannot carry in Illinois. I can car carry, but that is it.
    That is correct. A FOID card does not allow carry, it just allows possession/purchase. There are a couple (2 or 3 iirc) states where the residents can get a non-res IL carry permit but IN is not one of them.

It used to be you could carry an unloaded handgun in a fanny pack as an example, with a loaded mag or speed loader with it. I think that might still be the case but am not sure. A fanny pack or similar met the requirements for "a case".

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    As an Indiana resident, there is no way for you to legally carry in Illinois. There is a limited exception for you to legally carry while in you car with your out-of-state license, but illegal once you step outside your car. Illinois does offer a non-resident CCW-license, but unfortunately only offers it to residents of Arkansas, Idaho, Mississippi, Nevada, Texas and Virginia. If you were a resident of one of these 6 states, you could pay $300, take 16 hours of specific instruction, and get an Illinois license. But if you live in any of the other 43 states, there are no options.

Is it against the 2nd amendment? Yes, but so are a lot of laws. The only 2 things that can change it would be a direct SCOTUS decision on that (or a similar) issue, or people in Illinois voting out the commies who run things (which will never happen.) :(

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Ironically? Well, We are not that far from crime statistics vs "Chi-rak"

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Yep, but I don't think we need the laws here either.

Crime Control and Gun Control only go together when you criminalize the guns.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    What Illinois don't know won't hurt them. Seems like it would only come into play if the gun needed to be used. It just sucks trying to do the right thing, honest thing and the reward for trying is to be unconstitutionally disarmed.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Seems like it would only come into play if the gun needed to be used.

When I was young I said the same thing. Then I get hit by a car while bicycling from the stadium parking lot to campus at U of L. Sometimes poo happens, such as a medical emergency, that can expose you as a carrier without needing to need the gun. Everyone takes their own chances and rolls their own dice, but just something to consider.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    When I was young I said the same thing. Then I get hit by a car while bicycling from the stadium parking lot to campus at U of L. Sometimes poo happens, such as a medical emergency, that can expose you as a carrier without needing to need the gun. Everyone takes their own chances and rolls their own dice, but just something to consider.
    Very solid points. And I'm sure IL would love to $mack an Indiana resident for illegally carrying a firearm.

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    Also worth noting that if you plan to car carry in IL you must now also comply with the "assault weapon" ban. The most notable bits are no mags over 15 rounds and no threaded barrels.

Top Bottom