• ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    OP, I’m just catching back up on this thread, and not going to take a hard line side on whether you should move or not, but in reading through this it seems some think you are taking it too lightly by saying “she doesn’t want to commute”, and making the money a deciding factor. Some here think it’s a ‘run for your life’ kind of thing, that trumps money.
    Tough decisions.
    One thing my father left me with is the lesson that if you want to do something bad enough, money is never the reason. It might be the excuse, but if you want it bad enough, money is never the reason. You can always find a way. Always.

You’ve been given a gift of time to sort some of this out, don’t waste it, no matter what your decision.

Sorry this is happening to you.
    I’ll be thinking and praying for you.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    One thing my father left me with is the lesson that if you want to do something bad enough, money is never the reason. It might be the excuse, but if you want it bad enough, money is never the reason. You can always find a way. Always.
    Yep.

People love to use money as an excuse not to do something. I've heard Dave Ramsey talk about this when people try to justify staying in debt. He'll say something like, "if your kid was diagnosed with a terminal illness and you could save their life by coming up with say, $50,000 (or whatever their total debt amount is) in a year to pay for surgery, you'd move heaven and earth to come up with that money."

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Yep.

People love to use money as an excuse not to do something. I've heard Dave Ramsey talk about this when people try to justify staying in debt. He'll say something like, "if your kid was diagnosed with a terminal illness and you could save their life by coming up with say, $50,000 (or whatever their total debt amount is) in a year to pay for surgery, you'd move heaven and earth to come up with that money."
    Haha no man, I was talking about going in to debt. That’s how I was raised. My dad might have been going broke, but he was going skiing!
    Seriously though, you make the same point, just in an actual responsible way.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    -Snip-

My EDC was taken for "Testing" and I was told by the detective that it might be awhile because they are moving from downtown to the new building off southeastern, and that that would notify him when it was done and that he had no issue with me getting it back.

So now Im in the middle of some doper/banger drama involving a stolen gun centered on a house with multiple drive by shootings and a previous shots fired armed standoff with IMPD.

Welcome to the near east side of Indy.
    Glad you're safe.
    But to add insult to injury, your EDC will have for all intents and purposes been stolen by the city of Indianapolis too.
    With even the police making "it might be awhile" excuses, you likely will never see it again anytime soon if EVER.
    Sad that one has to pay hundreds of dollars and buy a new gun each time they lawfully defend their self.

tbhausen

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I just read this for the first time. I think there’s an important lesson here that cannot be emphasized enough. We need to spend some time thinking about our own particular circumstances and the potential consequences of our decisions. Defending a stranger is certainly commendable, hell, heroic. But doing so behind enemy lines brings a host of potential nightmares as detailed here. Think of me whatever anyone may, but NO WAY I would ever run out of my house to defend a stranger in an area like that. I’d be making myself as invisible and well-defended as possible—within my own four walls (until I could get the hell out of there, of course). Besides, how could you ever know that the person you’re helping didn’t instigate the altercation, that he wasn’t a “bad guy” roping in a good Samaritan? In summary, I think this is a clear case where it’s best to look after oneself and one’s own, avoid trouble, and get the hell out. And I’ll bet many of us who could find ourselves in the same situation would be best off having the same plan of inaction.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Move.

I bought a house and the neighborhood turned to crap. Property violence, a couple murders, at least one home invasion robbery and two of the houses on my block caught on fire pretty good but didn't burn all the way down.

I took far less than I had originally hoped, but now live in a far less violent neighborhood.

I only wish I had dumped that place as soon as I saw what was happening in the neighborhood.

Move.

The juice is not worth the squeeze. It is not the family farm, it is just some place you bought to facilitate working some jobs.

Move before something really bad happens to someone you really care about.

Or mad max it out until you get caught slippin.

Top Bottom