• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    WOW -- very disappointing -- so disappointing that I've logged in for the first time in 5-6 years?? More??***
    ~~~~~~
    I'm the father of now-grown twin boys. VERY active twin boys.
    I'm also a firearms user who eschews external "saftey(s)" when I can -- I find them to be killers and entirely UNsafe.
    ~~~~~~
    There is a simple solution to the OP's issue: remove the chambered round.
    As a rule, nobody with strength sufficient to cycle a weapon will lack the maturity-that-comes-with-age to at least be aware of the weapon as a source of destruction.
    Simply removing the chambered round will give the parent a number of years to feel out where things are going with their child, without having their weapon locked up, completely unloaded, trigger-locked, high-up&across-the-room, etc etc.

FWIW, by the time my kids were 7, they could load, shoot, and clear 3 different NATO-round weapons. AND recite Daddy's litany:
    "Is this weapon safe?" No.
    "How do you know that?" I don't.
    "Clear the weapon." {works to show empty chamber}

Yes, there were a lot of rolling eyes goin' on -- but they're 25 now, and still alive.
    [ Also, BIG OL' "+1" to gregkl for the post right above. "Right on."]

*** Wacky!!! Just looked it up: I last post here 10 years AND ONE DAY ago: August 13, 2009. Whack-a-doodle.
    Okay, so, see y'all in 2029, fergawdsakes.

The unloaded chamber is an idea, but not where im trying to be. When getting ready for the day, I prefer a quick press check holster and go. Just my preference. I like a full mag +1. Unloading the +1, isn't a big deal, but last thing i need is to forget to reload it and blah blah blah, I just making up excuses to prove my point of being comfortable in my way of doing my morning routine. The safe I feel is the best solution for the wife and I. She also has meds she wants to lock up in her nightstand safe. And putting things up high isn't good enough for us. Its not hard for a kid to climb. I found her climbing up the back of the couch this morning unaided...

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    That is only up to you to make the best decision for you and your family.

I think this is an irresponsible answer, LH. Us INGOers are the first ones to jump on a family when a child is killed in the home with a loaded gun. I have two kids under the age of 10 and I would NEVER consider having a gun out in the house protected only by a retention holster. I completely agree with Sylvain that the OP needs a quick access safe.

So....as for safes. I have had great success with the Sentry Safe biometric. I now have three of them. You can use your fingerprint for quick access or you can use a button combo. Lid springs open quickly. https://www.amazon.com/SentrySafe-QAP1BE-Biometric-Handgun-Capacity/dp/B00EXQW672

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I think this is an irresponsible answer, LH. Us INGOers are the first ones to jump on a family when a child is killed in the home with a loaded gun. I have two kids under the age of 10 and I would NEVER consider having a gun out in the house protected only by a retention holster. I completely agree with Sylvain that the OP needs a quick access safe.

So....as for safes. I have had great success with the Sentry Safe biometric. I now have three of them. You can use your fingerprint for quick access or you can use a button combo. Lid springs open quickly. https://www.amazon.com/SentrySafe-QAP1BE-Biometric-Handgun-Capacity/dp/B00EXQW672
    Well sir, you are entitled to your opinion. I gave to great options as far as pistol safes goes. I don’t know the OPs financial situation so I gave another option too. It is up to you and no one else to decide what’s best for you and your family.

KWIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2019
    IN
    I have one of these under the bed for several years and it works just as it should, quick and easy.
    413loferjCL.jpg

I have one of these in the coat closet by the door we always use to go in and out. My nightstand gun is different than my EDC, the EDC goes in this
    41qtFwXUX0L.jpg

They both work really well, very happy with them. My kids are older but neither one even knows the safes are there.

And a large safe to keep everything else that I dont need quick access to.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What happens when the batteries die on these fingerprint scanner safes?

They all have a key override.Which is usually a big design flaw when they use really cheap locks.
    Some will let you change the battery from the outside too, or have a place to use a 9V battery to open the safe.

Biometric-Gun-Safe-Reviews.jpg

Abominator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 22, 2019
    Auburn
    Do you guys replace the battery after a certain time? To avoid that awkward moment of asking the intruder to wait while you find out where your wife put the damn keys to the gunsafe

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Do you guys replace the battery after a certain time? To avoid that awkward moment of asking the intruder to wait while you find out where your wife put the damn keys to the gunsafe

Most safes have a low battery indicator, it will tell you that it needs to be replaced before it's too low to open the safe.

You should know where your backup key is.
    You can even leave the safe open at night, or take the gun out, for a quicker access; if you worry about your battery dying.

Jzim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Valpo
    I also have young kids (3 and 6MO). I agree that a safe is the only option I’m comfortable with. I use the mini vault for my edc. I’m fortunate enough to have my standard safe in my bedroom (2 steps away, opposite the door). I keep the mini vault on top of the safe. If the mini doesn’t open I can always go for the big safe. It does have the key backup as well.

Top Bottom