• ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    That's great.
    Not sure how old the OP's kid is though, you probably want to lock all guns away before they are old enough to understand that they shouldn't touch them.
    Ive put the G19 in her hand, there would have to be another person, and the right circumstances, to all come together at the same tIme in order for her to actually pull the trigger? No safes, nothing other than a Vanguard or a Zach to cover the trigger? I cover the trigger even though I know she cannot actuate it on her own.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I put mine on the bedroom closet shelf. I would rather take 8 steps than screw around with a safe in the middle of the night.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I put mine on the bedroom closet shelf. I would rather take 8 steps than screw around with a safe in the middle of the night.

I think the OP just wants a safe to keep the gun when he's not in bed or when he's not carrying the gun on his person.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

That's not a bad idea. I'm not sure that will be a good location for me but I won't know until I'm done with my master bedroom reno. We are taking two bedrooms and turning them into one with a large walk-in closet. I believe I would have to cross past the bedroom door to get to the closet. Expat, what are your thoughts on that?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I to am looking. I have decided on a Fort Knox but not sure if I should get the top opening or the front opening.

Any thoughts?

I've also been wondering this. I think a side opener would be nice for getting a larger one. Ideally I'd find a deep top opener that I can fit a gun and a mag or 2 into. The when it opens, it moves the gun up into an easy to grap position, but I think I'm asking too much.
    It’s all comes down to location and if you are going to mount/bolt it down.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Put a good lock on your bedroom door and keep your door closed at night while your pistol is in your nightstand holster.

Thats one option.

Or buy a hornady RFID/biometric pistol and or rifle safe. I love all of mine. Also have a couple gun vault brand pistol safes with just digital push button code locks that looks like a hand on the top. Im not sure who makes them for hornady? The rifle ones are good for vehicles or under the bed. Or you can stand them up inside a closet. On all of them as soon as you use the rfid tag or enter the code or fingerprint, the doors fly open.

You can bolt all of the above down so they cant just be picked up and played with. The safariland holsters are awesome but you cant just leave a gun in one where a kid can get it. Kids WILL figure them out. You must lock up your guns with kids. Bedroom door locks work only of you use them. If you are gonna forget to close your door behind you if you get up in the middle of the night then dont go that route with the holster. Get a gun vault. But then again, why would you get up and not take your gun with you?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    That's not a bad idea. I'm not sure that will be a good location for me but I won't know until I'm done with my master bedroom reno. We are taking two bedrooms and turning them into one with a large walk-in closet. I believe I would have to cross past the bedroom door to get to the closet. Expat, what are your thoughts on that?
    That sounds too far away.
    my other option would be if you have a large dresser or other piece of furniture that you could put it on top of. I have one of those wood and glass locking 6 gun cabinets on my side. If I had to worry about kids, I would feel okay putting a pistol on top of it. The wife’s dresser is big and heavy, mirror with flat top. I could lay a couple guns up there.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Fort Knox Pistol Safe. Have been using one for a while now - went from a GunVault to it because the batteries kept dying out of nowhere. Great customer service from GunVault but after a couple of returns, I opted to go with a mechanical lock. YMMV.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Great ideas and things to think about. I'll wait until I get the rooms done and see what I do for nightstands. I may be able to bolt a safe to the floor or under the nightstand if I build and install the floating ones we have in mind.

I'll need to figure out a way to make it stout so the safe doesn't pull it off the wall.:)

Or...I could build something hidden...:shady:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Great ideas and things to think about. I'll wait until I get the rooms done and see what I do for nightstands. I may be able to bolt a safe to the floor or under the nightstand if I build and install the floating ones we have in mind.

I'll need to figure out a way to make it stout so the safe doesn't pull it off the wall.:)

Or...I could build something hidden...:shady:

They make some neat hidden stuff to store your guns, but you need to make sure it's hidden AND locked.
    Some make furnitures with hidden compartments for guns, eventually a kid will crawl under the table and find the latch to open the compartment.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    They make some neat hidden stuff to store your guns, but you need to make sure it's hidden AND locked.
    Some make furnitures with hidden compartments for guns, eventually a kid will crawl under the table and find the latch to open the compartment.

If my kid had my intelligence level, I wouldn't be concerned. But nope, she had to be smart like her mama. A couple of good options here to consider for sure.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If my kid had my intelligence level, I wouldn't be concerned. But nope, she had to be smart like her mama. A couple of good options here to consider for sure.
    :): yeah thankfully mine got my wifes too.
    I was going to make a marine joke that i know you would appreciate my friend but then Id have to come back and defend myself to some crybabies and that it was friendly vets ribbing.

I was just talking with my other buddy about this yesterday. I hear somw people say their kids know not to touch guns and they trust them bla bla bla.
    Yep, my kids do too. But i know kids will be kids. All kids. As a parent, its my duty to not let there be any chance for an opportunity for their curiosity to intersect with a firearm. Unless I'm present.
    This is what my dad told me as a kid and ive said to mine "i had better never catch you touching (guns, powder, ect) without my permission or i will bust your ass. But if you ever have a question about it or want to see anything then come tell me and we will look at it together and safely anytime."

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    :): yeah thankfully mine got my wifes too.
    I was going to make a marine joke that i know you would appreciate my friend but then Id have to come back and defend myself to some crybabies and that it was friendly vets ribbing.

I was just talking with my other buddy about this yesterday. I hear somw people say their kids know not to touch guns and they trust them bla bla bla.
    Yep, my kids do too. But i know kids will be kids. All kids. As a parent, its my duty to not let there be any chance for an opportunity for their curiosity to intersect with a firearm. Unless I'm present.
    This is what my dad told me as a kid and ive said to mine "i had better never catch you touching (guns, powder, ect) without my permission or i will bust your ass. But if you ever have a question about it or want to see anything then come tell me and we will look at it together and safely anytime."

Very well put, and you know I would get your jokes, Nd sling some back. That's why I get myself first. Haha

I understand the concept of teaching the kids, and believe me, my 11 year old knows how to treat guns. That said, I still questions some of the choices I make on a daily basis. (My savings account vs. Safe and ammo will back me up in this) I absolutely do not trust a little child's choices.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I grew up with my dad's Hi-Power sitting on the kitchen counter when I came downstairs in the morning. He carried due to his work and the location of his business. I never gave it any thought.

When I got older, he used to periodically tell me to clean it. I unloaded it, cleaned it and loaded it back up.

That was then though and this is now. I worked with my kids and they are good to go. But I don't trust my grand kids at 1.5 and 3 years old. I, along with their father will teach them firearms safety, but I still won't leave a loaded firearm in plain view unattended when they come to visit.

I could not live with myself if something were to happen to them due to childish curiosity. I will teach them, but I will not take the chance that all the lessons stick, at least initially.

indytoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Indianapolis
    WOW -- very disappointing -- so disappointing that I've logged in for the first time in 5-6 years?? More??***
    ~~~~~~
    I'm the father of now-grown twin boys. VERY active twin boys.
    I'm also a firearms user who eschews external "saftey(s)" when I can -- I find them to be killers and entirely UNsafe.
    ~~~~~~
    There is a simple solution to the OP's issue: remove the chambered round.
    As a rule, nobody with strength sufficient to cycle a weapon will lack the maturity-that-comes-with-age to at least be aware of the weapon as a source of destruction.
    Simply removing the chambered round will give the parent a number of years to feel out where things are going with their child, without having their weapon locked up, completely unloaded, trigger-locked, high-up&across-the-room, etc etc.

FWIW, by the time my kids were 7, they could load, shoot, and clear 3 different NATO-round weapons. AND recite Daddy's litany:
    "Is this weapon safe?" No.
    "How do you know that?" I don't.
    "Clear the weapon." {works to show empty chamber}

Yes, there were a lot of rolling eyes goin' on -- but they're 25 now, and still alive.
    [ Also, BIG OL' "+1" to gregkl for the post right above. "Right on."]

*** Wacky!!! Just looked it up: I last post here 10 years AND ONE DAY ago: August 13, 2009. Whack-a-doodle.
    Okay, so, see y'all in 2029, fergawdsakes.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    WOW -- very disappointing -- so disappointing that I've logged in for the first time in 5-6 years?? More??***
    ~~~~~~
    I'm the father of now-grown twin boys. VERY active twin boys.
    I'm also a firearms user who eschews external "saftey(s)" when I can -- I find them to be killers and entirely UNsafe.
    ~~~~~~
    There is a simple solution to the OP's issue: remove the chambered round.
    As a rule, nobody with strength sufficient to cycle a weapon will lack the maturity-that-comes-with-age to at least be aware of the weapon as a source of destruction.
    Simply removing the chambered round will give the parent a number of years to feel out where things are going with their child, without having their weapon locked up, completely unloaded, trigger-locked, high-up&across-the-room, etc etc.

FWIW, by the time my kids were 7, they could load, shoot, and clear 3 different NATO-round weapons. AND recite Daddy's litany:
    "Is this weapon safe?" No.
    "How do you know that?" I don't.
    "Clear the weapon." {works to show empty chamber}

Yes, there were a lot of rolling eyes goin' on -- but they're 25 now, and still alive.
    [ Also, BIG OL' "+1" to gregkl for the post right above. "Right on."]

*** Wacky!!! Just looked it up: I last post here 10 years AND ONE DAY ago: August 13, 2009. Whack-a-doodle.
    Okay, so, see y'all in 2029, fergawdsakes.

Welcome back! And see you about the time I retire!

Also, I kinda like the idea of the unchambered pistol. I have always thought to have a round in the chamber, but if I have the cognitive ability to wake up enough to open a safe or go get it elsewhere in the room, I should have the wherewithal to rack a slide. I will consider this as an option.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    An interesting video on gun safes and false sense of security.

A must watch if you don't know much about locks and are looking for a gun safe.
    Some can be opened by a toddler, others by a teenaged with a paper clip, others are pretty good.But they all look alike.

A bit of language warning ...

[video=youtube;5Yr6ATdaDQ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yr6ATdaDQ8[/video]

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I could not live with myself if something were to happen to them due to childish curiosity. I will teach them, but I will not take the chance that all the lessons stick, at least initially.
    I agree the risk is too high. When the grandkids are coming over here, I make a sweep and make sure everything is either locked up or in the top of the closet if I am not wearing it at the time.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Vigilant, years from now when the 3 year old innocently asks where she and other kids come from, can you tell her "Daddy's other shooter"?!?

:D

Top Bottom