• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I know going into this that I have this specifically designated firearm for its defensive/home defense use and that if used it will be confiscated with no certainty that it'll be returned. but does anyone else have that little thought in the back of their head that I invested so much into this NFA gun that do I really want to take the chance of losing it if used? it just makes me sick that it has to be this way.

also if NFA firearm is used in defensive situation, is there anything different that happens vs when a regular non NFA firearm used?

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    That certainly would suck to lose the costs associated with an NFA item.

I imagine nothing different will happen from a non-NFA device: A good SD shot is a good SD shot but the prosecution will do anything and everything they can to rake you over the coals and vilify you including your possession and/or use of said NFA device. Beyond that is far too situational to speculate.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    my god...I could only imagine the media fall out that there would be. ridiculous im sure; even if it was clear a clear open and shut self defense ruling.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Depends on what type of NFA item we're talking about. Suppressor, SBS, SBR... who cares. As long as it saved your life.
    Machine gun??? Better be some serious SHTF before that's your best self defense option.
    This.

Use the best tool you have for the job. Your life is worth more than than the $2-3-4k you have invested in an SBR with a can on it.

You can also explain that you did everything you're supposed to do and jumped through all the government hoops and background checks to make sure you were legal.

The odds of you having to actually use it are ridiculously low, and the odds of it being confiscated are even lower. And of course if Johnny Law does take it, you've got a pistol(s) and shotgun(s) to fill the HD gun hole, right?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Given the hand wringing in the Rittenhouse trial with the fact that he could be in deep doo-doo if it were a SBR, I could imagine that NFA item working against you in the trial. Think about the (false) narratives of using something more than a EDC worthy weapon and how it could be construed as being excessive. (even though we know its not.)

IANAL, just observing the nonsense that happens in a defensive trial.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    As Hop noted, if your going full auto for self defense it is going to have be one heck of a thing.

If the situation is that dire then the police later taking the weapon are probably the least of you worries at the time.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    There are some incorrect assumptions being made here.

In a legitimate justifiable homicide self-defense shooting (I'm a retired law dog and investigated my share) no one's gun should be permanently confiscated. Unless the shooter proves to be under some sort of disability in which the matter would be out of our hands.

The firearm used has to be held for ballistic testing so that the projectiles pulled from the deceased by the canoe maker at the morgue can be matched to the firearm we're holding.

If I'd had a case where a righteous taxpayer used his BAR to smoke a dirtbag that would have changed nothing. I wouldn't have asked him for his NFA paperwork because I didn't work for ATF nor did I enforce federal law. If ATF heard about it and wanted to stick their nose in that would their affair.

I would have to think that if the grand jury cleared the shooter that ATF would have no grounds whatsoever to take the gun.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    The odds of you having to actually use it are ridiculously low, and the odds of it being confiscated are even lower. And of course if Johnny Law does take it, you've got a pistol(s) and shotgun(s) to fill the HD gun hole, right?
    ha! of course I do....prob more than I need but will never be enough.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    As Hop noted, if your going full auto for self defense it is going to have be one heck of a thing.

If the situation is that dire then the police later taking the weapon are probably the least of you worries at the time.
    wouldn't that mean we are in the zombie apocalyptic.....or then again somewhere in Chicago.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    somebody needs to have a case study done when a suppressor is used in SD and is being "held prisoner" for the case investigation; that said person should go buy another can and then see which one he gets back first.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I know of two cases where FA firearms were used in self defense. One was a gun shop owner out in the boonies with iirc two car loads of scum robbing his shop. Turned out like LS said it should. Other was a sales rep against three or four bikers, very different. About the same as Rittenhouse.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have an SBR with a can set up as my HD weapon. Money is spent. If I have to use it and it is gone for an extended period of time I am still alive and can start building one of the other SBRs up to where it was.

Don't see a problem with using it over a standard rifle. I put a can on it to help with the blast from shooting inside. I have a shorter barrel so it isn't more unwieldy with the can on it. I have an RDS on it as well as a weapon light and a laser. The laser is set for ranges inside the house.

All of these things were done with the thought behind them that if I am ever put into a situation where I need to use it it is as ready as I can make it for the task at hand.

Well I do need to practice moving with it in the new place and get a plan set to don the armor if need be.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    another thought just popped into may mind, what your HD gun had suppressor on it when you used it, can you take it off before cops come so it doesn't get taken along with firearm?

Im gonna guess no, along the lines of tampering with evidence but hey, you never know.

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Interesting thought, but I would guess no as well.

Otherwise I could take the can off then pull the upper off and hand that to them, thus all my NFA stuff would be with me.

But in all reality I am sure the entire package goes into evidence and I just swapped all the time and money I have wrapped up in it for my life.

Pretty cheap all things considered.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Many agencies will require another 4473 and NICS to get your firearm back. Will you have to submit everything again and get approved all over?

Don

Top Bottom