• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Well, just thought saw it on the news that RvsW has been struck down now too. So...I guess we'll see where it goes from here. More people shouting for a 15 person SCOTUS?

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Who knows, maybe the soul-crushing nature of living in NYC will result in some Wild West situation…oh, wait, there are already gun battles on the street in broad daylight.

Maybe this will improve things there when law abiding citizens are able to protect themselves. Whodathunk

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Talk about a kick in the teeth. The attorneys for the plainiffs who argued this case before SCOTUS (and won), have resigned from their law firm after being told they wouldn't be allowed to take on any more pro gun cases.

Paul Clement and Erin Murphy, the lawyers who successfully argued against New York’s law restricting conceal-carry gun permits, were told by Kirkland & Ellis they had to stop representing Second Amendment plaintiffs or find another firm. In a Wall Street Journal article, the duo explained how their celebration was cut short.

“Having just secured a landmark decision vindicating our clients’ constitutional Second Amendment rights in New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Bruen, we were presented with a stark choice—withdraw from representing them or withdraw from the firm,” they wrote. “There was only one choice: We couldn’t abandon our clients simply because their positions are unpopular in some circles.”

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    6 Takeaways From The Supreme Court Decision Protecting Americans’ Right To Self-Defense

A pretty solid breakdown of what the SCOTUS decision says and does for gun right moving forward.
    I love Margot Cleveland's analysis. She's one of my favorite follows on Twitter.

A seventh takeaway: the implication to analysis of infringements on all other constitutionally protected rights. Bruen imposes a higher standard than even strict scrutiny, which she addresses with respect to 2A. But there is no reason that the same reasoning cannot and should not be applied to rights protected by 1A, 4A, 5A, 6A, etc. No longer should there be an analysis of, "yes, it is an infringement of the constitutional protection, but..." for any enumerated right. The "but..." - i.e. strict scrutiny, intermediate scrutiny, or rational basis - for upholding a law that infringes upon an enumerated right is now gone.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It's ironic that they would place restrictions on those attorneys from representing any further 2A cases after they won a landmark decision in favor of 2A rights against restrictions.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I love Margot Cleveland's analysis. She's one of my favorite follows on Twitter.

A seventh takeaway: the implication to analysis of infringements on all other constitutionally protected rights. Bruen imposes a higher standard than even strict scrutiny, which she addresses with respect to 2A. But there is no reason that the same reasoning cannot and should not be applied to rights protected by 1A, 4A, 5A, 6A, etc. No longer should there be an analysis of, "yes, it is an infringement of the constitutional protection, but..." for any enumerated right. The "but..." - i.e. strict scrutiny, intermediate scrutiny, or rational basis - for upholding a law that infringes upon an enumerated right is now gone.
    Yeah. I wanna see somebody a "but" on the 4th 5th or 8th.

Yeah, we searched his car with no probable cause and found something REALLY bad. But its OK because it was REALLY bad stuff. He deserved it.*

Yeah, he was found not guilty but.... Lets try him again. The jury got it wrong.

Yeah, he was tortured, but... its OK. It was REALLY important to get that confession.

*Though another overlooked case this past month is chilling. They held that if you are not properly mirandized and confess leading to evidence, that evidence can still be used even though it was acquired illegally. Bad precedent IMHO.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    6 Takeaways From The Supreme Court Decision Protecting Americans’ Right To Self-Defense

A pretty solid breakdown of what the SCOTUS decision says and does for gun right moving forward.
    I think her 6th point is rather lacking. It's a bit of a stretch to call Roberts and originalist. Certainly not solidly so. More like a Bohacek of the SCOTUS. Checks which way the wind is blowing, and votes accordingly.

*Though another overlooked case this past month is chilling. They held that if you are not properly mirandized and confess leading to evidence, that evidence can still be used even though it was acquired illegally. Bad precedent IMHO.
    My understanding was that it was pretty similar to previous rulings in that suppose you have a violent suspect and the rights don't get finished being read at the scene or evidence before receiving the warning doesn't invalidate the incriminating speech. Was it different?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It's ironic that they would place restrictions on those attorneys from representing any further 2A cases after they won a landmark decision in favor of 2A rights against restrictions.
    And it strikes me as partners that were ONLY in it for the money. They didnt think the case would succeed, and therefore was just a cash cow and nothing more.

When it did succeed, They were shocked and wanted to make sure those two didnt do any more "damage" to gun laws and allow us to be more free.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My understanding was that it was pretty similar to previous rulings in that suppose you have a violent suspect and the rights don't get finished being read at the scene or evidence before receiving the warning doesn't invalidate the incriminating speech. Was it different?
    Not sure. The actual ruling was whether you could sue for them using ill gotten info in the trial. You cant. Commentators are concerned that now that there is no threat of harm to the officers or department from misusing evidence, that they will begin to purposefully abuse it. After all, if there is no chance of being punished for the misdeed, why not try it? If it works you got a conviction, if it fails, you cant be held accountable.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Not sure. The actual ruling was whether you could sue for them using ill gotten info in the trial. You cant. Commentators are concerned that now that there is no threat of harm to the officers or department from misusing evidence, that they will begin to purposefully abuse it. After all, if there is no chance of being punished for the misdeed, why not try it? If it works you got a conviction, if it fails, you cant be held accountable.
    Interesting. I need to find some synopsis/synposes of it and dig in a little.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I've not yet read the ruling. But, isn't there a difference between bringing a lawsuit (i.e. a civil remedy) and availing oneself of appropriate legal challenges in the criminal proceedings (such as appeal on the basis of conviction based on fruit of the poisoned well)?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've not yet read the ruling. But, isn't there a difference between bringing a lawsuit (i.e. a civil remedy) and availing oneself of appropriate legal challenges in the criminal proceedings (such as appeal on the basis of conviction based on fruit of the poisoned well)?
    Right. But how do you pay for those appeals? Civil remedy would help offset the cost of your defense. And if they wronged you by ignoring the law, shouldnt they be available to sue? (rhetorical)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Right. But how do you pay for those appeals? Civil remedy would help offset the cost of your defense. And if they wronged you by ignoring the law, shouldnt they be available to sue? (rhetorical)
    That's a fair question, but it is not a matter of "gutting Miranda rights", as has been claimed. Besides, the right to competent defense still exists. I would assume such an appeal would be a fraction of the total legal costs incurred in that defense - whether paid for by the defendant or by the state to a public defender.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I think her 6th point is rather lacking. It's a bit of a stretch to call Roberts and originalist. Certainly not solidly so. More like a Bohacek of the SCOTUS. Checks which way the wind is blowing, and votes accordingly.

The Bohacek of the SCOTUS… I LIKE IT!!!

Top Bottom