• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Now that I have my new, (new to me), Winchester `94 .30-30, I need to consider how it will be deer hunting with it. It`s an angle eject, (AE), but I want to resist scoping it, I like the traditional look and it will be much easier to carry without having to worry about bumping a scope off it`s zero. I`ve never really hunted with, or even shot longarms with iron sights, so that much will be very new to me, I`ll have to learn how to adjust the iron sights as I`m at the range. The very first thing I notice looking down the sights is that there`s no contrast whatsoever on the front sight, which would make it difficult to sight at longer ranges or in low-light conditions? Does anyone else deer hunt with iron sights, and what would you recommend to "paint" on the front sight to have that contrast and better visibility?

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Hot/bright orange nail polish works well in general for me. If I can't see the orange clearly, there's too little light to clearly see my target & what's beyond it anyway.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Now that I have my new, (new to me), Winchester `94 .30-30, I need to consider how it will be deer hunting with it. It`s an angle eject, (AE), but I want to resist scoping it, I like the traditional look and it will be much easier to carry without having to worry about bumping a scope off it`s zero. I`ve never really hunted with, or even shot longarms with iron sights, so that much will be very new to me, I`ll have to learn how to adjust the iron sights as I`m at the range. The very first thing I notice looking down the sights is that there`s no contrast whatsoever on the front sight, which would make it difficult to sight at longer ranges or in low-light conditions? Does anyone else deer hunt with iron sights, and what would you recommend to "paint" on the front sight to have that contrast and better visibility?
    There's not much real estate on a 94 sight to paint, i'd probably look aftermarket that way you aren't modifying your original factory parts. Companies like XS, Williams, Tru-glo etc. offer options that will give you the contrast you want. When ordering just know that Winchester made those with either a ramped base or a simple barrel dovetail, it will make a difference in your front sight height.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Congrats on your new Winchester. Back in the day, mine was always carried with iron sights too, and was a great deer rifle. My hunting was in Virginia, Indiana had the old school shotgun/ slugs rule, then they allowed handguns.
    Again, good luck and enjoy.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill

This is the way to go. Three of my five lever guns (three Marlin, two Rossi) wear peep sights. In my opinion lever rifles just look and handle better without a scope on top.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Buckhorn and peep sights have served me well in the past for whitetail. Been having grand luck with red dots/rmr sights too. Currently a Romeo 5 is on my Marlin 30aw. My largest buck to date was dropped with a Rossi in .357 with orange nail polish on the bead.

Lots of options. Try them all!
    08779ac77750c66722a00875e8e09aa9.jpg

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Found at Walmart for $10ish. Look for the neon version. 1 bottle will last a lifetime
    03ba3282c1fb2322c46229d1002c4653.jpg

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Buckhorn and peep sights have served me well in the past for whitetail. Been having grand luck with red dots/rmr sights too. Currently a Romeo 5 is on my Marlin 30aw. My largest buck to date was dropped with a Rossi in .357 with orange nail polish on the bead.

Lots of options. Try them all!
    08779ac77750c66722a00875e8e09aa9.jpg
    I hadn`t even considered a red-dot...hmmm...

Top Bottom