• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Since the truck market is completely stupid with 150k + 10 year + old going for $20K + i was pondering new vs. a couple years old.
    So lets say at a particular price point you can by a brand new 2wd WT plain jane or you can by the same truck in 4x4 and loaded but 3 years old with 50K on the clock.
    What do you do.
    I don't "need" heated seat and all the goodies, but they sure are nice. I don't really need 4x4 either but it sure is nice those few times i'm commuting 2 miles to the office in the snow.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I know awhile back a new truck was cheaper than an old truck….it was insane. Don’t know if things have changed. Keep being told the market is going to drop and prices fall…? 3 years ago just before covid and everything went insane I looked for a $20k truck. Ended up looking at a new Ram 1500 for $43k but bought a 2018 used Ram sport 1500 with every bell and whistle known to man with 24,000 miles and warranty for $33k. A year later used Ram 1500 with 100,000 miles were wanting $40k !!!! My truck value hit over $50k….nuts. Haven’t looked at market last several months, last I looked a $20k truck was rusted out with 200,000 miles and bald tires.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Sorry for the threadjack, but since this thread is about trucks...

So here I sit in Thomas CDRJ, getting the oil changed in my Ram 1500. Sitting in the waiting room and this picture is on the wall:

E0C0A124-7AEA-4EFE-9A8C-4255E8459550.jpeg

This photo didn't look right to me....so I searched for it online:

8CC1CD2C-B96D-4F5A-A779-70F3D50020DD.jpeg

I found this being used on a power company's website...but still odd. It's got the generic stock-photo thing of showing no badges.

However, I know what truck that is....and it ain't a Ram:

B48FDF0B-471E-43D5-B014-810C4AB39320.jpeg

Really...how hard could it possibly be to find a picture with an actual Ram in it?

Apparently harder than photoshopping a Ram badge on an F-150 Platinum.

Lazy.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It used to be easy; clean, low mileage trucks were a better use of funds. You didn't feel the impact of the "drive it off the lot" depreciation.

Now a days its tougher to do the math. Certain vehicles hold their value so well, that you may as well pay the extra few thou and get a brand new one in the exact configuration you want. Plus with all the weather events happening throughout the country, you may not know you bought a "flood car" until it's too late.

I will still try to score a used vehicle but only if I can save enough money to warrant it.

I'd like a Toyota Tacoma. If a new one was going to take $40K to get it out the door and a two year old, low mileage used one was going to cost me $35K, I'd opt for the new. Get me closer to a $10K differential and I'll take the used.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    My wife just bought a 22 Silverado RST/Z71 with the baby Duramax. It gets like 29mpg you would never know it’s a diesel. It’s quite and smooth.

She got it at invoice $ with $500 year end clearance $500 Holiday clearance $500 military discount $1000 Costco member discount

So I assume the crazy price’s are about over?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My wife just bought a 22 Silverado RST/Z71 with the baby Duramax. It gets like 29mpg you would never know it’s a diesel. It’s quite and smooth.

She got it at invoice $ with $500 year end clearance $500 Holiday clearance $500 military discount $1000 Costco member discount

I think they are getting better. A coworker was able to buy a new Bronco at sticker. Just a few months ago, dealers were tacking $10K to the sticker price.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I'm trying to find a 1 to 2 year old truck coming off a lease. The prices are getting better but still on the high side. Anything that is a good deal goes very quick.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI

There's a $1000 costco discount? holy hell. Can you cut a deal with the dealer first and then still get it i wonder...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Sorry for the threadjack, but since this thread is about trucks...

So here I sit in Thomas CDRJ, getting the oil changed in my Ram 1500. Sitting in the waiting room and this picture is on the wall:

View attachment 252362

This photo didn't look right to me....so I searched for it online:

View attachment 252363

I found this being used on a power company's website...but still odd. It's got the generic stock-photo thing of showing no badges.

However, I know what truck that is....and it ain't a Ram:

View attachment 252364

Really...how hard could it possibly be to find a picture with an actual Ram in it?

Apparently harder than photoshopping a Ram badge on an F-150 Platinum.

Lazy.
    My best guess is a third party company was hired to decorate the place and either a lazy employee or one looking to embarrass them did this. It is funny…

djay7677

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 29, 2022
    Mishawaka IN
    If it came down to 2 trucks and choosing between new and used… I would try to estimate the projected resale at the point of if/when I want to sell.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The body goes, well before we rack up any miles. I've had my truck for almost 25 years, and only put about 80,000 miles on it. The body definitely shows it's age though.
    My 2007 Silverado still looks decent with 230,000+ miles on it. I just did the first engine repair on it- 1 bad fuel injector. My son drives it now. This is it severely overloaded with broken-up concrete. I don't pamper my trucks.

truck.jpg

I now drive a nearly new Ram. I bought it used, 2 years old with 1 year worth of mileage on it and an extended warranty and I still paid about $12k less than a comparable new truck, even in April of 2022.

Ram.png

I like dark red.

Lpherr

Occupied
    My 2007 Silverado still looks decent with 230,000+ miles on it. I just did the first engine repair on it- 1 bad fuel injector. My son drives it now. This is it severely overloaded with broken-up concrete. I don't pamper my trucks.

View attachment 252412

I now drive a nearly new Ram. I bought it used, 2 years old with 1 year worth of mileage on it and an extended warranty and I still paid about $12k less than a comparable new truck, even in April of 2022.

View attachment 252413

I like dark red.
    Bighorn in Delmonico Red Pearlcoat.
    That color looks real nice in the sun, especially with the Granite Crystal trim like on the GC LimitedX.
    I prefer the sport package, instead of the chrome. Nice truck.

1675369053475.png
    :cheers:

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I was gonna say resale is never a consideration for us. Use it up and replace.
    Just talked to my coworker who bought the Bronco. This was his first ever new vehicle and first time he had gotten over $500 for his previous vehicle. He always bought used and drove them until they were basically dead.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Just talked to my coworker who bought the Bronco. This was his first ever new vehicle and first time he had gotten over $500 for his previous vehicle. He always bought used and drove them until they were basically dead.
    Last new car we purchased (before this past december) we still own.... and that was in 2006. Would have bought the wife a year or two old version but they were $2-4k more than new. Same with my next purchase, 1 year old Forte GT manual are $27k. New are $25k

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Since the truck market is completely stupid with 150k + 10 year + old going for $20K + i was pondering new vs. a couple years old.
    So lets say at a particular price point you can by a brand new 2wd WT plain jane or you can by the same truck in 4x4 and loaded but 3 years old with 50K on the clock.
    What do you do.
    I don't "need" heated seat and all the goodies, but they sure are nice. I don't really need 4x4 either but it sure is nice those few times i'm commuting 2 miles to the office in the snow.

I'd buy the one with the features I wanted first and foremost. Settling generally means spending more in the long run when you end up selling it and buying what you actually wanted in the first place.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Bighorn in Delmonico Red Pearlcoat.
    That color looks real nice in the sun, especially with the Granite Crystal trim like on the GC LimitedX.
    I prefer the sport package, instead of the chrome. Nice truck.

View attachment 252417
    :cheers:
    That's the color.

My wife is on her last minivan (youngest turns 18 next month). When it's time to replace that, we are already thinking about a Grand Cherokee.

....and even though I'm not that old, I'm an old man at heart and like the chrome.

Top Bottom