• ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Leaning toward the Holosun ACSS Vulcan.
    Mine is tracking to get here tomorrow. I'm pumped.

I am trying to keep expectations in check about moving to a red dot. I know a lot of people struggle with the transition and finding the dot. But I've been doing a lot of presentation drills lately by focusing on the target and bringing the gun up into my field of view rather than bringing my eyes to the gun. For me it's much more intuitive. Frankly I have always struggled with multiple focal planes inherent to iron sights and staying focused on the front sight.

I actually think the transition to a red dot will be fairly seamless for me. That might be wishful thinking, but I'm excited to put in the work.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Mine is tracking to get here tomorrow. I'm pumped.

I am trying to keep expectations in check about moving to a red dot. I know a lot of people struggle with the transition and finding the dot. But I've been doing a lot of presentation drills lately by focusing on the target and bringing the gun up into my field of view rather than bringing my eyes to the gun. For me it's much more intuitive. Frankly I have always struggled with multiple focal planes inherent to iron sights and staying focused on the front sight.

I actually think the transition to a red dot will be fairly seamless for me. That might be wishful thinking, but I'm excited to put in the work.
    I bet you will do fine. I have always struggled with the concept of front sight focus. I was taught to focus on the target, where you or whatever your sending needs to go. Whether that was an arrow, basketball or car, it didn't matter.

Probably why I picked up Trap faster than the pistol sports.

I'm still working it out, but I'm slower to learn than most so I'm okay with it. I didn't do much dry fire last week and my times today at the range reflected that. It's still the draw to first shot where I lose the most time. But when I look more than a week or so back, I do see improvement. No where near ready for prime time gaming, but I have the winter to improve. :)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Like most, you are fighting procedural memory of your draw stroke. You simply need to reprogram your push out to full extension with the pistol held a bit lower. Come on over some time and I'll show you what I mean by that statement. And the good news is that it will only take several thousand repititions to reprogram to the point it will be as comfortable as your iron sights.
    This has been very solid advice for me.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Last night I was experimenting with building a human sized target for presentation and dry fire drills. I live in an apartment currently so to be extra safe I use a 5 gallon bucket filled with sand with different colored aiming spots to practice dry fire. That's going to be my "center mass" and primary point of aim, but I added a basketball head. The black lettering does a pretty nice job of representing the occular window.

This was a proof of concept more than anything. I'll refine it with larger aiming points once I have the slide milled and dot installed. It's hard to tell from the photo but as it sits, the "attacker" stands about 5' 9" - 5' 10".

Attachments

• IMG_20210118_155707750.jpg
      IMG_20210118_155707750.jpg
      2.8 MB · Views: 7

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I have the Streamlight TLR-2 with the green light on my two favorite guns. A glock 19 and a glock 20. I sighted it in with a laser bullet for now, and will adjust if needed at the range. I found a special custom holster that fits it with the light on amazon.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Last night I was experimenting with building a human sized target for presentation and dry fire drills. I live in an apartment currently so to be extra safe I use a 5 gallon bucket filled with sand with different colored aiming spots to practice dry fire. That's going to be my "center mass" and primary point of aim, but I added a basketball head. The black lettering does a pretty nice job of representing the occular window.

This was a proof of concept more than anything. I'll refine it with larger aiming points once I have the slide milled and dot installed. It's hard to tell from the photo but as it sits, the "attacker" stands about 5' 9" - 5' 10".

Just use your TV set. Dynamic targets depending on content. You can even practice shooting the bad guys and sparing the good guys if you watch the right shows. Add purple if desired.

Last edited:

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    MCgrease08, get on Sage Dynamics youtube channel and watch his series on transitioning to an RDS. His videos were tremendously helpful to me.

The Sage Dynamics website also has a downloadable cranial and thoracic overlay to print out on 8.5X11. He has videos on both targets on YouTube as well.

A laser cartridge, and BarrelBlok dry fire setup, along with Sage Dynamics targets make an excellent training setup.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You can make your gun inoperable and safe with a zip tie through the barrel. If you use a bright color and leave the tag hanging out the muzzle, maybe your neighbors won't call in the crazy man pointing the gun?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    MCgrease08, get on Sage Dynamics youtube channel and watch his series on transitioning to an RDS. His videos were tremendously helpful to me.
    Way ahead of you friend. I've already binge watched them and then some.

I'm also already signed up for a Sage Dynamics RDS pistol class at the Lebanon police range in August.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    That looks like it will be a good class!
    I'm excited. Although the course description lists ammo requirement of 1k rounds over 2 days. I hope that's just old boiler plate and the drills are adjusted to allow for a lower round count. I don't know how many students will be willing or able to burn through a case of ammo given the current availability and price.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Watched that last night. Thanks for posting it. I like the RMR, but if I would decide to put a dot on my Shield, I may end up with the Holosun 407K. The footprint is smaller and I like the idea of using as little real estate as possible on such a small slide.

At this point, though I'm shooting the Shield with irons almost, and in some cases, better than my Compact that has the RMR. I still need more time as I'm slower picking up the dot on the draw and about equal on the following shots when I compare the two. I won't put a dot on the Shield until I feel I am at a disadvantage by having iron's on it.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I’m all in on an RDS for my EDC. Glock 19 MOS with a Holosun 507C-X2 ACSS Vulcan on the way (probably a month out at this point).

I just got my Safariland 7378RDS and although a bit chunky it holds the G19 securely with or without RDS and light or laser/light combo. One carry rig that can do it all (including home defense).

Now I have to do my part. Considering the cost of ammo these days, I see LOTS of dry-fire with my shot timer in my future.

Main reason for transitioning to RDS for carry rig: With my aging eyesight I’d rather be focusing on the target than the front sight.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I'm curious about the grip change. Got any more details on that? Pics or links or something?
    It is what helped me in my presentation. What you need to change may differ.

Giving more grip/pressure with my support hand effectively tipped the barrel down slightly. I learned that with irons most of us cheat and have the barrel up slightly to see the front sight quicker on presentation. Do that with an RDS and you won't have the dot in the window.

Top Bottom