• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Well, as I mentioned, my dovetail mount is going to be short lived. I've decided to commit and am looking for someone to mill my slide.

Unfortunately Allen doesn't have the tooling to do my 2.0 Compact and still retain the rear sight. And I don't think ZR Tactical is doing M&P's at all.

ANY ideas on where I can get the slide milled and a set of suppressor height sights installed while they have it?

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    And I don't think ZR Tactical is doing M&P's at all.

Might want to double check with ZRTS about that. Zach milled my M&P for an RMR about 9 months ago. NOTE: The only way to achieve co-witness with the RMR on the M&P is to do a Glock dovetail rear sight and a S&W front sight. I have the exact sights you need if you want to go with this set up. Just PM me.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Might want to double check with ZRTS about that. Zach milled my M&P for an RMR about 9 months ago. NOTE: The only way to achieve co-witness with the RMR on the M&P is to do a Glock dovetail rear sight and a S&W front sight. I have the exact sights you need if you want to go with this set up. Just PM me.

I just left them a message. Thanks. I'll PM you.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

ACC (or anyone reading this), do you know if ZR Tactical is open for business?

I have been calling them, emailing them, left messages with no response. Are they closed maybe due to COVID? Or closed completely? Or maybe overloaded and not accepting any new business?

I was planning on driving up tomorrow since I had a few other things to do in the Indy area, but I don't want to make the trip if I can drop off my slide.

Jumped on Facebook and they answered right away. Who would have thunk?

Last edited:

climber1218

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Converse
    Well, guess I'm going to get Duracell batteries for the RMRs. Interesting video by the Miculeks...never thought about picking up the open sights earlier than the optical sights! Guess I will be getting more training to learn to use the RMR...I have a 3 moa and a 6 moa and rarely use them since I feel that I am slower with the dot than with iron sights! BTW, I have a dovetail mount for an XDM which I can let anyone try out before they have their slide milled...I don't have 50 posts yet so I don't think you can pm me yet...maybe, one of the site moderators can contact me if anyone wants to try it out?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

lol. Yeager being Yeager. Such a modest man.

I listen to guys like John Viray, John Lovell, Bob Whaley.

It seems like there are people that seek to understand, and then be understood.

And there are those that don't.

Back on thread, my compact slide is currently at DP getting cut for my RDS with a rear sight installed for co-witness ability. I went ahead and asked them to refinish the slide while they have it.

They will install the new front and rear sights and mount the RDS for me. Looking forward to getting it back and being able to start training with it. Hope to get enough time in so I can take John's fall pistol class.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    [video=youtube;THtX-EwI7NU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THtX-EwI7NU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I was all excited about getting my P10f OR. I put a Vortex Venom RDS on it to see how good they are. Was going to get a Holosun later.

I sighted it in, then did some target practice out to 25 yards. The accuracy was amazing and I was able to hit pretty quickly. Then I started running my defensive drills. That's where I ran into trouble. I guess years of using iron sights made it hard for me to acquire the target with the RDS as fast as I wanted. I ended up taking the RDS off and going back to iron sights for my edc gun.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I was all excited about getting my P10f OR. I put a Vortex Venom RDS on it to see how good they are. Was going to get a Holosun later.

I sighted it in, then did some target practice out to 25 yards. The accuracy was amazing and I was able to hit pretty quickly. Then I started running my defensive drills. That's where I ran into trouble. I guess years of using iron sights made it hard for me to acquire the target with the RDS as fast as I wanted. I ended up taking the RDS off and going back to iron sights for my edc gun.

A lot of people think they are going to instantly be better with a dot. Not the case. There is a learning curve involved. One thing I will agree with James on is it is not for someone who is not going to put the time in to master it. See you were a step ahead because you actually tried it running defensive drills and found out there may be issues. Many people just do a little static bullseye type shooting with it and think, hey this is great and never get beyond that.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Time will tell with me, but I have always had issues with front sight focus. In every other endeavor I have done, the focus was always on the target. "Keep your eye on the ball, look to wear you want to throw, look at the pin, look for the open spot", etc.

My hope is that with training I will be able to use the RD effectively. I have struggled with irons for far too long, mostly due to vision problems.

I may have an advantage since I don't have a lifetime of shooting firearms with iron sights. Always used scopes on rifles and I shot shotgun more than anything over my years and that is again, target focused.

Wish me luck or look in the classifieds for a nice rig in a year!:)

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Lots of dry-fire with the dot is what it takes. Draws from holster or concealment to target acquisition will do it. :rockwoot:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Time will tell with me, but I have always had issues with front sight focus. In every other endeavor I have done, the focus was always on the target. "Keep your eye on the ball, look to wear you want to throw, look at the pin, look for the open spot", etc.

My hope is that with training I will be able to use the RD effectively. I have struggled with irons for far too long, mostly due to vision problems.

I may have an advantage since I don't have a lifetime of shooting firearms with iron sights. Always used scopes on rifles and I shot shotgun more than anything over my years and that is again, target focused.

Wish me luck or look in the classifieds for a nice rig in a year!:)

Dry work will be your friend. It will take some effort but with the right practice you will be better than ever in short order. Hit me up if you have any issues and we will get them ironed out.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Dry work will be your friend. It will take some effort but with the right practice you will be better than ever in short order. Hit me up if you have any issues and we will get them ironed out.

Thanks! Maybe some training if you are doing so at some point?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I watched that last night. I am practicing picking up the muzzle out of the holster and following it to extension. I wasn't doing that. Since I started, I pick up the dot much better.

Aaron from Sage Dynamics does a similar thing but he has a mantra; "backplate to nose". Different but both both are teaching to not be so target focused.

Nolan1984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2020
    NEW CASTLE
    I've been carrying, and competing, with red dots for years. There's definitely a learning curve. Your presentation has to be consistent. The dot isn't forgiving of a janky draw. Focus on the target and superimpose the dot.

Ethanalpha

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2018
    Jeffersonville
    I got into dots from shooting Uspsa open division with a 9mm Major race gun and a Leopoldo deltapoint pro. I now shoot 2 Sig p320 X5 legions with DPP’s. It is something that takes getting used to, and it isn’t natural at first. You have to dry fire or index the gun from the draw position many times before it become instinctive....that being said, now I am extremely fast at target acquisition with the dot. Don’t carry a gun with a dot if you don’t put the time in to make it a natural aiming experience.

Top Bottom