• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    When I had mine, I set on my desk and waited and then peered through it without touching the desk or the pistol.

It was off. But just a very slight movement, like bumping the desk lit it back up.
    This is what I did with my pistol and rifle RDS. Just let it sit, go do something and come back to it. Otherwise it is like watching water boil.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sharing something I found out on another forum.

Some RDS, at least those on the cheaper end of the market, can have starbursts when the sun is shining into the lens from the muzzle end. Obviously not an issue indoors. Probably not an issue at noon. It can be an issue during sunrise and sunset when the sun is low in the sky and you are facing the sun's direction to see your target. What angle will trigger it varies not only from brand to brand but sometimes example to example. Swampfox was the one under discussion. Mine will starburst to the point the whole lens (almost said "screen"...) is full of dots but only if you are pointing almost directly at the sun. Others reported starbursts with the sun mostly overhead.

So maybe something to test out. (I just took my slide off and went out and pointed it at things at different times of the day)

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Speaking of testing the emitter and brightness of the dot, I did some extreme water testing yesterday. By that I mean I took my kids to a splash pad and got myself soaking wet while wearing my pistol with the Holosun 507C ACSS. I didn't do anything to try and baby the optic or keep it covered up other than the fact that it was under my wet t-shirt. And I'm not talking about getting a little wet. I got completely under the waterfalls.

The back side of the glass was facing up (muzzle down) and acted as a pool that collected serious water. There weren't many kids around so I spot checked it a few times by lifting my shirt to check and see if I could still see the dot, or in this case, the chevron. Even with pooling water I was able to clearly view the reticle. I did bump the brightness up a notch or two for good measure because it was fairly sunny out at the time, but even with the water, the brightness controls worked fine.
    When we were done I simply took the holster off my belt, dumped out the water and went on with my day.

Short of going swimming with the gun on, I would say the Holosun passed the water test. Not something I hope to do everyday, but good to know I can still stay armed while playing at the splash pad.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Have you found simple way to test whether the shake awake is actually going dark, when the sight is at rest?
    Aha!

Just discovered that I could lift my cover shirt and see down the sight path while the gun is holstered. First thought that maybe alignment wasn't right, because I couldn't find the circle/dot. I was looking for the suppressor sights, then I tapped the gun grip to see the sight shake-a-wake.

Cool. A simple test that I can do, after sitting still for more than ten minutes. :yesway:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Aha!

Just discovered that I could lift my cover shirt and see down the sight path while the gun is holstered. First thought that maybe alignment wasn't right, because I couldn't find the circle/dot. I was looking for the suppressor sights, then I tapped the gun grip to see the sight shake-a-wake.

Cool. A simple test that I can do, after sitting still for more than ten minutes. :yesway:
    If I sit still for ten minutes I am either in trouble or dead.

Top Bottom