• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BAgun

Marksman
    Aug 3, 2021
    Bluffton
    I'm looking to get a muzzle loader to use for deer season next year. I've never even shot one before but would like to get into it. I was looking for suggestions on what one is the easiest to operate and is accurate. Hopefully the components are still available to buy also. Guess I'm just looking for suggestions on which one is a good starter.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Entry level, still not cheap, would be a CVA Wolf in .50cal. Right now they are running $300-350 if you can find them.
    It is an in-line model that uses 209 shotgun primers.
    This ensures quicker and more reliable ignition than the older musket cap or #11 percussion caps.
    Pay attention to the cleaning ritual involved with front stuffers.
    They MUST be cleaned after each use, and most use soapy hot water to clean.

Muzzleloaders are a different animal entirely, but worth the effort in my book.

Good luck.

WillH

Plinker
    Dec 4, 2022
    Fort Wayne
    I'm just finishing a build on a Traditions Kentucky Rifle kit as my first muzzleloading long gun. It's a .50cal #11 percussion cap rifle. It was beneficial for me to see how everything went together and functioned, and a really enjoyable rainy day project. They usually run around $350.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Muzzy season is over Sunday. I'd put a WTB add for a stainless modern 209 primer fired inline muzzleloader. See what turns up and research the details.

I'd also watch the long gun section. They frequently pop up after season.

L C H

Plinker
    Dec 8, 2022
    Bedford
    I think a break-barrel with removable breech plug will be easiest to clean. With Blackhorn 209, it's quick and painless.

Watch Wal-Mart in the next few weeks. A lot of years they clearance out their muzzleloaders. A few years ago I picked up several for less than $100 each, for myself, kids, and a BIL.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I've had a CVA Optima V2 for a few years. I like it. It's accurate and it has an easily removable breech plug.

This is like mine:

Hawkj

Plinker
    Nov 5, 2022
    Westpoint, IN
    I second the CVA also. I do not have one but I have shot my friends at 100 yards. It grouped great and the price is right. Throw a decent scope on it and you got a good gun. I’ve got a 3-9x40 Nikon on my muzzy and it does well.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Entry level, still not cheap, would be a CVA Wolf in .50cal. Right now they are running $300-350 if you can find them.
    It is an in-line model that uses 209 shotgun primers.
    This ensures quicker and more reliable ignition than the older musket cap or #11 percussion caps.
    Pay attention to the cleaning ritual involved with front stuffers.
    They MUST be cleaned after each use, and most use soapy hot water to clean.

Muzzleloaders are a different animal entirely, but worth the effort in my book.

Good luck.

I checked with my local gun shop they carry this one. I want to replace my old musket cap 50 caliber with one of these.
    Lgs owner demonstrates how easy it was to remove the breach plug by hand. That the 209 primer, optic mount, and stainless steel has me sold.
    That said is there any reason not to buy this?

1673755810561.png

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    No reason at all to pass tha

I checked with my local gun shop they carry this one. I want to replace my old musket cap 50 caliber with one of these.
    Lgs owner demonstrates how easy it was to remove the breach plug by hand. That the 209 primer, optic mount, and stainless steel has me sold.

View attachment 248114
    No reason to pass that up.
    You will be happy with it I'm sure.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here

View attachment 248114
    I have a couple of these for the grandkids to hunt with, great shooters and easy to clean. You will like it.

Elcidaviator

Plinker
    Nov 6, 2021
    Scottsburg

View attachment 248114
    That’ll be a great boom stick.

One thing to mention is that Muzzleloader powder is measured by volume and not weight. So if your used to reloading DONT weigh out 100 grains of Pyrodex and throw it down the tube.

You can however convert desired volume to weight and weigh out your loads for more accuracy.

Here’s a chart that can get you in the ballpark as well.

360willys

Plinker
    Jan 14, 2019
    South Bend
    My suggestion is looking at the Remington 700ml. Down side is you have to fill out paperwork if it's at a gun shop. But my coworker got my first one in a deal I couldn't say no to. Then i got a second one and spent 5 hours cleaning her she was nasty. I haven't had a chance to shoot her yet. but the Remington 700ml in stainless is pretty.
    cbd7f1aab65a4118dad1d3aed9fe8c62.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Elcidaviator

Plinker
    Nov 6, 2021
    Scottsburg
    My suggestion is looking at the Remington 700ml. Down side is you have to fill out paperwork if it's at a gun shop. But my coworker got my first one in a deal I couldn't say no to. Then i got a second one and spent 5 hours cleaning her she was nasty. I haven't had a chance to shoot her yet. but the Remington 700ml in stainless is pretty.
    cbd7f1aab65a4118dad1d3aed9fe8c62.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    I shoot a 700ML and they are nice, but I would suggest converting to 209 primers. You can then use BH209 powder as well.

Here’s mine.

Attachments

• D67A7B48-B83F-4DFE-A3FF-581449DE3040.jpeg
      D67A7B48-B83F-4DFE-A3FF-581449DE3040.jpeg
      552.2 KB · Views: 4
    • 964F3A73-DE60-434A-ADBC-89ED2820849E.jpeg
      964F3A73-DE60-434A-ADBC-89ED2820849E.jpeg
      618 KB · Views: 4

msuspartan

Plinker
    Jun 29, 2011
    Fishers
    Muzzy season is over Sunday. I'd put a WTB add for a stainless modern 209 primer fired inline muzzleloader. See what turns up and research the details.

I'd also watch the long gun section. They frequently pop up after season.
    Look at Indiana Ubid for one, good selection

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    two trails of thought. One you want to take advantage of another deer season, the other you want to use a tradition muzzle loader. Both have their merits. Personal I have been hunting the last 50 years with a flint lock and find it very rewarding.

Top Bottom